The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disadvantages, Advantages, and Special Abilities
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Disadvantages, Advantages, and Special Abilities Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 into 3 into 3 seems nicely proportional, all things considered. So, to make sure I understand correctly, you're saying that, if a DASA imparted a modifier of 1D to a Skill, it would be treated as 1D for Character Build pricing, but if it imparted 1D to an Attribute, it would count as 3D?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
...For droids, it would be a matter of just writing it out, and saying "OK, you have 1D in all attributes and 60D to use for skills, special abilities, and attribute dice at 3:1 ratio." (I kick it to 60D because I like numbers divisible by 5, and I think "Can't use the Force" and "Can't Heal Naturally" are worth 3 skill dice, at least.)

Inspired by the original Star Wars novelization, I made rules for droid internal "self-repair" of light damages.

https://rancorpit.com/jotw/damage/characters_creatures.html#Droid/Shard-Droid%20Symbiont%20Repair
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
3 into 3 into 3 seems nicely proportional, all things considered. So, to make sure I understand correctly, you're saying that, if a DASA imparted a modifier of 1D to a Skill, it would be treated as 1D for Character Build pricing, but if it imparted 1D to an Attribute, it would count as 3D?

No, just that dice can be moved around.

Let's say, for example, I take Achilles Heel: Kryptonite (4). I know have 4 dice from disadvantages to play with. I might buy 4 levels of advantages. I might buy 4D of skills. I might buy 1D of Attributes (subject to racial maximums, still), and spend the other 1 level on advantages, or skills, or special abilities.

Basically, levels in Disadvantages can be translated directly into levels in advantages, special abilities, or dice in skills... or they can be used to buy attribute dice (which might be nice for a beginning Jedi).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Size (R1 or more)
The character is much larger or smaller than the average Human. For every rank in this Advantage, the player receives +3 to his character’s scale modifier (which starts at zero). The player must specify whether the character is bigger or littler than the average Human.

Should this be changed to +1D? Would it work for things like Wookies or Ewoks, who might be the wrong size to interact with a lot of the galaxy?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, since the 2R&E Scale system uses D increments. Using the RAW Scale, a character with this feature would be midway between Character (0D) and Speeder (2D)

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUt as we've seen with some criters and vehicles, size isn't really a deteriminator of what one's scale is...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
BUt as we've seen with some criters and vehicles, size isn't really a deteriminator of what one's scale is...

Most of those instances are demonstrably ridiculous. If a starfighter is making a strafing run, should a rancor be just as difficult to hit as a person, all because whoever wrote up the WEG stats made the rancor Character-Scale? Game stats aren't canon, and should be altered to better suit in-universe reality whenever possible.

EDIT: Even more ridiculous, why should a 200-meter-long submersible aircraft carrier which can carry a squadron of starfighters be smaller in Scale than each of the starfighters it can carry?

Or this?

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, stupid game tricks time: Making Obi-wan Kenobi.

Now, I am going to assume that Obi-Wan Kenobi at the beginning of ANH is a starting character. Luke is played by Sara, Kenobi is played by Bob. They made their characters, and this is what Bob came up with.

First, attributes
Dex 2D
Kno 3D+1
Mech 2D
Per 3D+2
Str 2D
Tech 2D

Con 1D
Sen 1D
Alt 1D

Seven dice for skills next

Dex 2D, Lightsaber 3D
Know 3D+1
Mech 2D
Per 3D+2
Str 2D
Tech 2D

Con 3D
Sen 3D
Alt 3D

Bob is gonna play a damn space wizard, dammit.

Now, he wants to add some color in the form of Disadvantages. He picks Age (2), Devotion (3) (he literally dies to protect Luke, the next generation of Jedi), Enemy (2) (Vader and the Empire are powerful, but he's also pretty much below their radar)... 7 points of disadvantage. He's going to take equipment (2) to get his lightsaber, but that goes down to free with two Advantage Flaws... 1 point because failing to use the lightsaber correctly can result in self-injury (not all people with Lightsaber take this), and another because using the Lightsaber too much can result in his Enemy trait getting pushed up to 3 as the Empire finds him. That's 9 points of Disadvantages, 2 of which are eaten up by his cool laser sword.

He uses the other 7 points to improve some things. He can't boost his Force skills any further (no more than 2D above the attribute reasonably applies here, I think), but here's where he winds up:

Dex 2D, Dodge: Blasters 3D, Lightsaber 3D
Know 4D Languages: Wookiee 5D (he has a conversation with Chewie in Mos Eisley), Survival: Desert 5D, Willpower 6D
Mech 2D
Per 4D
Str 2D
Tech 2D

Con 3D
Sen 3D
Alt 3D

That's more or less Ben Kenobi at the beginning of ANH, rendered at beginning character levels. Obviously, his ACTUAL stats would be higher, because he's not a beginning character, but this is Darths and Droids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: