The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ackmena
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Ackmena
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Ackmena Reply with quote

Feedback and suggestions appreciated.

Quote:
Ackmena
The nightshift bartender in Chalmun's Cantina in Mos Eisley on Tatooine. She was a favorite amongst the patrons there, as she was more approachable than the daytime bartender, Wuher. Ackmena, realizing this, requested better hours from her employer, Chalmun, but the Wookiee initially refused, sparking a confrontation between the two that lasted for months. Even though Ackmena was better liked than Wuher, during her shifts she was aided by Tork, a bouncer. As entertainment, she would occasionally sing to her patrons.

One night, after the Battle of Yavin, Ackmena had to fend off the advances of the amorous Krelman. Later that night, the Galactic Empire imposed a curfew on all residents of the Tatoo system. Ackmena tried to get her patrons to leave, but was initially unsuccessful, until she broke into song.

Ackmena: All stats 2D except for: blaster 3D: hold-out 4D+1, dodge 4D, melee combat 4D, Knowledge 2D+1, alien species 3D+1, business 4D, cultures 3D+1, drink mixology 4D+2, languages 3D+2, singing 5D+1, streetwise 4D, beast riding 2D+2, repulsorlift operation 2D+2, Perception 2D+2, bargain 3D+2, command 3D+1, con 4D, gambling 4D, hide 3D+1, persuasion 4D+2. Move: 10. Equipment: Hold-out blaster (3D). Source: Stats by Emperor Ollie
Appearance: TV. The Star Wars Holiday Special, N. Fate of the Jedi: Allies

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: ACKMENA's Obscure Character Archive entry Reply with quote

I wrote ACKMENA up as a full, major NPC rather than an "All stats 2D except..." 12D'er, over in the Obscure Character Archive, which you are again, welcome to use if so inclined.

This is from back in the day, back when I had the time to do "fancier" photoshopped presentation. She's linked there, but I've also added the link below for reference:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-7Q2Dm1-OcIZ3dvOThCQXBRWjA/view?resourcekey=0-eJfZJrdqpHvLTbYjx7tZVg

I think this linked take is much closer stat-wise to the level/role she plays. Most of the "leads" on the Holiday Special would be 18D characters, imho.

Similarly, her Obscure Character entry accounts for where her skill focuses/sources are: for example, her skill w/ singing is not so much a vocal talent, but more so as one, albeit particularly effective, function of her character's persuasive charisma. Hence my making it a specialization, persuasion: song, rather than the usual singing / artist: singing skill.

This write-up also includes additional research, including giving her the target blast pistol she uses in her Pablo Hidalgo illustration, rather than a hold-out, etc.

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ACKMENA's Obscure Character Archive entry Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
I wrote ACKMENA up as a full, major NPC rather than an "All stats 2D except..." 12D'er, over in the Obscure Character Archive, which you are again, welcome to use if so inclined.

This is from back in the day, back when I had the time to do "fancier" photoshopped presentation. She's linked there, but I've also added the link below for reference:

See comment below.

Telsij wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-7Q2Dm1-OcIZ3dvOThCQXBRWjA/view?resourcekey=0-eJfZJrdqpHvLTbYjx7tZVg

I think this linked take is much closer stat-wise to the level/role she plays. Most of the "leads" on the Holiday Special would be 18D characters, imho.

I thought about this but typically create minor characters on 12-15D. The specific issue with Ackmena, is I personally don't think there is enough information to justify her as a full-blown hero. She works days in a bar and later on joins up with an actor and create a two-person singing/comedy/acting troupe. You have done a ton of research on here character and will take a close look at what yo have created.

Telsij wrote:
... her skill w/ singing is not so much a vocal talent, but more so as one, albeit particularly effective, function of her character's persuasive charisma. Hence my making it a specialization, persuasion: song, rather than the usual singing / artist: singing skill.

I actually thought about this as well. Lets face it, she can't sing and it definitely feels like persuasion. Since we both thought of this independently I think we are on to something here. I will definitely change this.

Telsij wrote:
This write-up also includes additional research, including giving her the target blast pistol she uses in her Pablo Hidalgo illustration, rather than a hold-out, etc.

I had thought about using that image as justification for giving her some blaster skill but decided it against it because it wasn't what I could justify as a good source. With that being said, I don't see why it cannot be added.

Quote:
Ackmena: All stats 2D except for: Dexterity 2D+2, blaster 3D, blaster: sporting blaster 3D+2, dodge 3D+2, Knowledge 3D+1, drink mixology 4D+2, streetwise 4D, willpower 6D+1, beast riding 3D, repulsorlift operation 3D, Perception 4D, con 5D+2, persuasion: singing 6D. CP: 4. Move: 10. Equipment: Bar apron, red rough-hewn dress, SoroSuub X-30 "Lander" target blaster pistol (3D+1). Source: Stats by Telsij, modifications by Emperor Ollie

1. Dropped several Knowledge skills as their base is now 3D+1 due to her increased base Knowledge.
2. Did not use cultures: cantina patrons as this is covered by the 3D+1 knowledge and 3D I think it sufficient for her skill level for dealing with cantina patrons.
3. Willpower 6D+1 seems really high. Reasoning?
4. Did not increase her Mechanical as I did not see a reason to do so.
5. Thought about machinery operation: bartending equipment when I originally created the stats, but decided against it and decided to use drink mixology instead.
6. Dropped several Perception skills as their base is now 4D due to her increased base Perception.
7. Bargain 5D?
8. I did not give her persuasion 5D+1 as she was not able to get any of the cantina patrons to leave and had to revert to persuading with singing.
9. Did not increase either her Strength or Technical as I did not see a reason to do so.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. Glad you incorporated the changes / feedback.

(And to clarify my earlier 18D comment, I'd would apply that only to Ackmena, Saun Dann and Gormaanda, and a very few of the other cantina patrons who have backstory material that appears elsewhere, as they're the leads of their respective skits, as well as the Holiday Special itself really. *Maybe* Lumpy as well as he appears and does more elsewhere. I hear you though and agree to a certain extent. Our approaches/standards/thresholds are different is all!)

All things considered, what you have now is reasonable compromise between our two approaches that hits closer to the mark overall than what you had before.

PS: If/when you do you GORMAANDA and TEAK SIDBAM, feel free to use the two write-ups I have for them in the Obscure Character Archive.

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: