The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Creatures and Scale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Creatures and Scale Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are saying that the scale modifier would be halved for attack rolls, but fully applied for damage?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Are saying that the scale modifier would be halved for attack rolls, but fully applied for damage?

No, more that there are offsetting bonuses that modify the Scale modifier. The Scale itself won't change.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

No, more that there are offsetting bonuses that modify the Scale modifier. The Scale itself won't change.

I can see that, especially for claw/bite like attacks..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought...

Certain moves like Trample would seem a better fit to a Movement skill than Brawling, in much the same way that vehicle and starship ramming is handled by a Piloting roll, rather than Gunnery. IIRC, a Ram with a vehicle requires making a Piloting roll against Terrain/Speed +10, with Damage modified by Speed. The same would seem appropriate for creatures like the Bantha when doing a Trample attack.

In fact, there's an argument for a more general rule allowing all characters with appropriate training/ability to ram targets as part of a Move action (with modified Difficulty).

Thoughts?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, imo some beasts (like say a SW version of a triceritops), would be built for ramming attacks.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Another thought...

Certain moves like Trample would seem a better fit to a Movement skill than Brawling, in much the same way that vehicle and starship ramming is handled by a Piloting roll, rather than Gunnery. IIRC, a Ram with a vehicle requires making a Piloting roll against Terrain/Speed +10, with Damage modified by Speed. The same would seem appropriate for creatures like the Bantha when doing a Trample attack.

In fact, there's an argument for a more general rule allowing all characters with appropriate training/ability to ram targets as part of a Move action (with modified Difficulty).

Thoughts?

d20 calls this a "bantha rush" (adapted from the D&D maneuver known as "bull rush").

I do not believe the rules cover bantha rushes against objects/obstacles, but the effects on opponents may be enough to get the concept started:

Bantha rushes trigger an opposed strength check. If the attacker wins, the target is moved in the direction that the attacker was pushing. If the defender wins, then nothing happens.

Additionally, certain weapons are designed for charging (the lance, for example). During a charge attack, a lance deals double damage on a hit.

Combining these two concepts may provide a starting point for a D6 version.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
d20 calls this a "bantha rush" (adapted from the D&D maneuver known as "bull rush").

D20 Banthas must be faster than D6 ones; hard to picture anything with a Base Move of 5 as "rushing" anywhere.

Quote:
I do not believe the rules cover bantha rushes against objects/obstacles, but the effects on opponents may be enough to get the concept started:

Bantha rushes trigger an opposed strength check. If the attacker wins, the target is moved in the direction that the attacker was pushing. If the defender wins, then nothing happens.

The problem I see here is that there's no option for inflicting damage. Sure, if the target sets themself to take the rush and actually has the strength and mass to take it, but a human trying to do this against a much bigger, stronger creature (like a bantha) is going to get hurt. At the very least, there needs to be some sort of option for the Rusher to inflict damage if they roll high enough.

One possible option would be to resolve Rush attacks on the Movement Mishap Table, which would be appropriate if one were using Running (or other appropriate Movement skill) to resolve the attack in the first place.

Quote:
Additionally, certain weapons are designed for charging (the lance, for example). During a charge attack, a lance deals double damage on a hit.

As it pertains to this topic, I could definitely see creatures with a separate natural weapon - like a bantha's horns - inflicting additional damage on a Rush attack. Maybe resolve the two separately, with the horns inflicting the damage, and the rush itself initiating the push back / Move contest mentioned above.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Heck, imo some beasts (like say a SW version of a triceritops), would be built for ramming attacks.

The reek from AotC springs to mind. Ram-and-trample pretty well sums up what it did to Jango Fett.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
[d20 calls this a "bantha rush" (adapted from the D&D maneuver known as "bull rush").

STAMMMPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDD!

That is what i envision with that...

Quote:

Combining these two concepts may provide a starting point for a D6 version.

I can see a stampeed/bantha rush adding die, but flat out doubling it, would be a bit much.

Quote:
The problem I see here is that there's no option for inflicting damage. Sure, if the target sets themself to take the rush and actually has the strength and mass to take it, but a human trying to do this against a much bigger, stronger creature (like a bantha) is going to get hurt. At the very least, there needs to be some sort of option for the Rusher to inflict damage if they roll high enough.

How's about Str of the rusher, say 2d for moving fast (or 4d if going all out).

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

The reek from AotC springs to mind. Ram-and-trample pretty well sums up what it did to Jango Fett.

Which is what i envisioned..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, there is a bantha stampede scene in the originally 1e adventure, Tatooine Manhunt.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
IIRC, there is a bantha stampede scene in the originally 1e adventure, Tatooine Manhunt.
A herd of bantha stampeeding through folks, should be MUCHO DAMAGE..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
A herd of bantha stampeeding through folks, should be MUCHO DAMAGE..

It was actually a PC group on a speeder encountering a stampede. Their three options were:

1) Treat the stampede as terrain, taking a level of damage based on how badly they failed their Repulsorlift roll.
2) Ditch the speeder and take cover. All survive unhurt but speeder is destroyed.
3) Hero jump onto the lead bantha and try to reign in the herd.

Good enough for what it was, but not a lot there insofar as a single creature making a bantha rush attack.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should have been a fourth option. FLY FASTER away from the stampede.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ran that adventure for multiple groups but no memories are coming to mind on how any of them they dealt with it, except that I'm pretty sure at least one group somehow avoided the bantha stampede completely.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to hear HOW.. Especially if they are on the ground.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: