The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Severe Wound Rules and You
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Severe Wound Rules and You
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Severe Wound Rules and You Reply with quote

So, someone wants to knock out a guard, but instead rolls enough to kill them outright. Now, there's the severe damage rule, where you can instead maim the target... but do you let them downgrade that to just "knocked unconscious for 2D minutes"? Pull the blow to merely "Incapacitated"?
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably falls on how it fits the narrative. I could see extending the amount of time the victim is unconscious along with applicable wounds, unless you want to make it a teaching moment on the dangers of combat. Accidental deaths happen, but if you want to maintain the honor and integrity of your big-d@mn-heroes, just let it slide.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Severe Wound Rules and You Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, someone wants to knock out a guard, but instead rolls enough to kill them outright. Now, there's the severe damage rule, where you can instead maim the target... but do you let them downgrade that to just "knocked unconscious for 2D minutes"? Pull the blow to merely "Incapacitated"?

https://rancorpit.com/jotw/damage/characters_creatures.html

As indicated on my Damage website, in addition to the severe wound option, I allow also players doing brawling attacks choose if they want to do half normal damage or full stun damage (must decide before rolling damage). I even consider allowing the stun option if using blunt melee weapons where an unconscious result seems possible. And in my stun rules, the worst outcome is unconscious plus wounded, so it is still possible to accidentally hurt someone when not intending. Just not lethally.

I feel heroes should always have the option to not kill someone. But if using lethal force, the trade off for not killing is a permanent injury of some kind. Otherwise, don't use lethal force.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's about make them roll a willpower check, to see if they successfully 'pulled their punch'? Succeed, and they can cap it at ko'ed.. Fail and its lethal damage.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How's about make them roll a willpower check, to see if they successfully 'pulled their punch'? Succeed, and they can cap it at ko'ed.. Fail and its lethal damage.

Willpower suggests that they want to kill but was holding back. That seems more appropriate for DSP rules, which I think CRM suggested something like it at one point.

If you want it to be roll dependent, a better idea would be to have it be rolling a certain amount above the difficulty number, so it requires extra finesse with the brawling skill to achieve the knock-out effect. No extra roll, it is just part of the attack roll.

But for meta/player reasons, I think it is best to allow brawling to be stun damage and allowing maiming instead of killing to just be a player choice as indicated in Star Wars D6 Damage.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that suggestion on having it based on how well they hit.. Since IRL i've heard numerous stories of folks who were going for a KO punch/choke etc, but shanked the pooch and killed the person...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Willpower suggestion was more for Force use, not Brawling.

My thoughts on the matter at hand, though? Head off the entire dilemma by making Brawling Damage inflict Stun only, except on a Wild Dice Failure on either the Attack or Damage roll. This is more consistent with real life, where severe / lethal damage in a basic bar brawl between untrained combatants usually happens by accident. Then allow characters with some form of training (such as having dice in Martial Arts) to make the choice as to which sort of damage they want to inflict.

W/r/t the Wild Dice Failure, make it savable by CP, so that the character can choose to pull their punch even after screwing up, but at a cost.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Head off the entire dilemma by making Brawling Damage inflict Stun only, except on a Wild Dice Failure on either the Attack or Damage roll. This is more consistent with real life, where severe / lethal damage in a basic bar brawl between untrained combatants usually happens by accident.

That is one option in my game. Brawling is either full-Strength stun damage, or half-Strength normal damage à la D6 Space. That is still consistent with real life, and we have actually play tested both options fairly extensively. It works.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: