The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars by D&D 5E game engine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Star Wars by D&D 5E game engine
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Star Wars by D&D 5E game engine Reply with quote

I traded in my D&D 4E PH for the 5E PH, but I have never played either of those editions. Apparently, 5E is very popular and the system is being adapted for other genres. There is a sci-fi version of the game system called Esper Genesis. The second article below states it would be a good basis for a Star Wars game. It is of marginal interest here but I thought I would share as FYI.

Esper Genesis

D&D 5E Fans Can Run a Star Wars Campaign with Esper Genesis
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5E is awesome! It's a good evolution of the B/X D&D (Basic/Expert for those not in the know). My family plays every other Saturday. I'm really hoping our campaign finishes soon so we can play Alien RPG and Star Wars.

I think I saved Esper Genesis to my "maybe list" on Amazon. I'll have to give it a look. Heaven knows I don't have enough un-played RPG books on my shelves already. Rolling Eyes Part of me considered modding 5E to play Star Wars, but I really like the WEG rules (plus I have all of the books, so I feel obligated to use them).

I actually backed a different 5E sci-fi RPG early this year on Kickstarter called Farsight. I believe they're close to finalizing the books for printing, though I'm sure it'll take an extra two months to arrive since they'll be coming from Italy. Not sure how long after the Kickstarter books are out before they'll start arriving at stores.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
5E is awesome! It's a good evolution of the B/X D&D (Basic/Expert for those not in the know). My family plays every other Saturday.

Wow. From briefly flipping through the book, I did not get the impression that it was even heavily influenced by B/X but I haven't played any D&D since 2006. I imagine that 5e is not a total abandonment of the preceding editions, but cool to hear they went back to the basics in some ways. My DM experience is from my childhood gaming group's homebrewed Basic/Expert/Advanced hybrid, and my D&D player experience is with Basic/Expert, AD&D, 2e, 3e, and 3.5. I still have my Basic box set and my Expert rule book; my three AD&D1 core books; the PHs for 2e, 3.5, and 5e; and a few other books. My fave edition that I played was probably 2e.

There is at least one homebrewed Star Wars RPGs based on D&D 5e out there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I imagine that 5e is not a total abandonment of the preceding editions, but cool to hear they went back to the basics in some ways.

It's a good mix of B/X and 3rd. A lot of the minutia has been simplified to d20 rolls for just about everything. Most classes can accomplish skill rolls that earlier editions would not have allowed as they were class-specific, such as checking for traps. Feats are optional, though they can add some interesting flavor, like the Magic Initiate feat, which allows any class access to minor spellcasting (3 cantrips and 1 1st level spell).

Quote:
There is at least one homebrewed Star Wars RPGs based on D&D 5e out there.

I glanced over Star Wars 5E a while ago but haven't gotten back to it.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5e is great, and is a much streamlined version of the game that brings back many elements from 2E (from what I understand).

I briefly played AD&D back in the day, and I have some experience with both 3.5 and 4e. To me, 5e is the best version of the game. The 'advantage' / 'disadvantage' (essentially, roll 2d20 and keep the best, or take the lowest) is a brilliant way of handling difficulties, rather than constant numerical modifiers.

I've been in probably over a dozen different campaigns using 5e, including ones that use it for other game settings (Middle-earth, swashbucklers, etc.) and think the framework is solid enough to do just about anything (though I agree that I will stick with d6 for my Star Wars).
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite a necro....but....wanted to comment as I play dnd5e and my group recently reviewed a LOT of different options when deciding to play SW again...

The Background
My group, when we recently wanted to start up star wars again (our d20 saga game had been on hiatus due to covid) - we decided we were going to finally (after many years) move on from saga.

Many of us also play in DND5e - which we do indeed love.

All the things they say about it being more streamlined, etc. are true - it is a work of art in that it still "feels" like DND and has some depth, but just feels light.

Skipping on a bit

We actually considered converting 5e to star wars, and then found the absolutely beautiful and professional grade SW5e.....

Sadly - while the SW5E looks incredible, and I have to say bravo to the team that put in all the work - it did not FEEL at all like star wars.
It felt like a re-skinned DND. Kind of like one of those video games where you can do a texture mod change - but all the powers and mechanics are the same.

The force powers just feel like spells - many of them just didn't fit with star wars at all - and a lot of the tech - some of it was incredibly advanced and felt more at home in cyberpunk (which we love - that that ain't star wars).

Again, it was an impressive work - and I applaud the team that did it.
But not for us.

The Hit Point Problem
We then later decided not to stick with 5E as a base - so, while the new version is REALLY cool - it has (IN OUR OPINION) the flaw of the Hit point system.

At about 5th ot 6th level - there was never any threat from a single attack - even with surprise. A bunch of thugs have their cross bows on you? Who cares, the damage is negligible when you have 65 hit points (even with crits - they would all have to crit to be a threat).

This brought us back to D6 Star wars - where even a storm trooper (who managed to somehow hit you) could be a threat with a single blaster shot.

Wrapping Up
Don't get me wrong - DND5e in my opinion is the best DND I have ever played (and I still have my old books from 1980...) - and the SW5e is an incredible work of art.

And while SWD6 is far from perfect - it felt like it was easier for us to fix some of the issues in D6 (specializations, wookie str, lightsaber damage, etc) than try to overhaul DND to our liking.

So, for the folks that love DND or SW5E, that is great - they are incredible systems.

For my group - it is a tweaked SWRPG D6 all the way.

Just my 2 credit worth...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: