The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Taking A Four
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Taking A Four
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Taking A Four Reply with quote

D20 has a rule called "taking a 10", where rather than rolling a D20 to make a skill check, the player simply accepts a median result (a 10 on a D20) where the task takes twice as long. D6 already has its own rule where doubling the time taken adds a +1D, but has anyone ever tried a D6 variant of the D20 rule?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make it a "take 3" in this case. In line with the d20 version (which, if I remember correctly does not tale twice as long, but can only be used when there is "no consequence" for failure), it rounds the leftover .5 down to 10, rather than up to 11 (the average roll on a d20 is 10.5, not 10).

In d6, the law of averages is much more in effect, and rounding up would make a much bigger difference. So the "tradeoff" would be accepting a slightly lower than average roll in order to (in some cases) nearly guarantee success, and in other cases, merely speed up game play.

A variation could be taking 3 (or 4, if you prefer) on all but the wild die, however this might defeat the purpose for some situations. I guess it depends on how important the wild die is to a particular gaming group.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I would make it a "take 3" in this case. In line with the d20 version (which, if I remember correctly does not tale twice as long, but can only be used when there is "no consequence" for failure), it rounds the leftover .5 down to 10, rather than up to 11 (the average roll on a d20 is 10.5, not 10).

In d6, the law of averages is much more in effect, and rounding up would make a much bigger difference. So the "tradeoff" would be accepting a slightly lower than average roll in order to (in some cases) nearly guarantee success, and in other cases, merely speed up game play.

A variation could be taking 3 (or 4, if you prefer) on all but the wild die, however this might defeat the purpose for some situations. I guess it depends on how important the wild die is to a particular gaming group.

I have heard others espouse having something like that "Take 10=20" rule for SW, but usually its only for giving you a 'success (base)', but not a super success or the like, and only if there's no consequence for failing the roll at that time..
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting rule. Very Happy

But I don't understand what do you refer to when you say "no consequence for failing the roll". Could you give an example for that case?

Thank you! Smile
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a sort of "inverse" example:

I had a GM who wanted a roll for EVERYTHING.

Me: "I get in the cockpit of my X-Wing."
GM: "Roll climbing!"

For a more appropriate example:
Making a skill check to activate a force power... say, detect life. If you fail the roll, nothing changes.

Or making a sensors check to find out where the largest city is on a planet. If you fail, nothing changes.

Making a (passive) search check to determine what you take in about your immediate surroundings. Failure would mean you gain no information (i.e. nothing changes).

In effect, if failing the roll would or could cause a problem, you have to roll....

HOWEVER...
I think I was wrong above. I believe that the "taking 20" is the one where there must be no consequence for failure (and taling 20 takes 20 times longer than rolling the skill: essentially, the "take 20" means your character keeps trying until they "roll" a 20 and thus achieve their best possible result).

With taking 10, the only reason you can't is if stress or distractions are affecting you.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking A Four Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Taking A Four

I agree with Naaman about rounding down instead of up, so "taking a three" instead of four. There should never be any situation in the game where not rolling results in the equivalent of an above average roll, at least for anything above Very Easy.

Naaman wrote:
I had a GM who wanted a roll for EVERYTHING.

Me: "I get in the cockpit of my X-Wing."
GM: "Roll climbing!"

Ugh. The rules state GMs don't have to nickel and dime the mechanics and require rolls for everything. Some things are just a given. Now hopping into the cockpit while blaster bolts are flying through the air, or the hanger is collapsing down on the character, yeah, that might require a roll even if easy. But I never make players roll for very easy mundane tasks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking 10 and Taking 20. "Taking 10" is "It's so easy I can't really screw it up"; "Taking 20" is "It doesn't matter if I screw it up or how long I take, so let's be perfect." Note that Taking 20 can apply to creation type abilities, but it also includes "Spending 20 times the usual amount" if you have resource costs.

The idea of "taking a 4" is "This is something that I am so skilled I would not reasonably screw it up, so let's just ignore the roll." Did Han Solo have to roll to LAND at Mos Eisley? Probably not... there's no reason he would have conceivably screwed up something that simple. Did he have to roll to take off? While under fire, and keeping a watch out for the newly-arrived-and-angry-at-him Imperials? That I'd say is more likely.

I'd go with taking a 3 for mathematical reasons, especially as a 3 represents the next step up in pips... it's 1, 2, die. I'd leave out the wild die, as well, or make it "If you will beat the DC by 3" (i.e. can do it by not rolling the wild die, as it were).

I'm not sure what I would do for a "Taking 20" equivalent in D6. I think a lot of that is factored in with difficulty reductions for taking your time, but D6's default black/white success makes perfection a lot harder.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antilles wrote:
Interesting rule. Very Happy

But I don't understand what do you refer to when you say "no consequence for failing the roll". Could you give an example for that case?

Thank you! Smile

Let's say its a repair roll, but nothing much is going on, to where Failing that roll, has any downsides other than adding in more time. Though if say, failing to repair it in a timely manner, means they fail to hit a deadline, that has repercussions for missing, THEN THAT wouldn't be able to "Take four" for.
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Let's say its a repair roll, but nothing much is going on, to where Failing that roll, has any downsides other than adding in more time. Though if say, failing to repair it in a timely manner, means they fail to hit a deadline, that has repercussions for missing, THEN THAT wouldn't be able to "Take four" for.

Roger Roger!
Crystal-clear explanation. This is going to be quite useful with my group!!!

Thank you very much!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestions of taking a three instead of a four make sense. Since the median on a D6 is 3.5, it could be rounded up or down, which didn't matter a great deal if just for the sake of starting a discussion.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Taking 10 and Taking 20. "Taking 10" is "It's so easy I can't really screw it up"; "Taking 20" is "It doesn't matter if I screw it up or how long I take, so let's be perfect." Note that Taking 20 can apply to creation type abilities, but it also includes "Spending 20 times the usual amount" if you have resource costs...

I'll take your word for it on the d20 rules. Thanks.

CRMcNeill wrote:
The suggestions of taking a three instead of a four make sense. Since the median on a D6 is 3.5, it could be rounded up or down, which didn't matter a great deal if just for the sake of starting a discussion.

I'm not asking you to change the thread subject. Discussion started and discussion continued. That's all. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antilles wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Roger Roger!
Crystal-clear explanation. This is going to be quite useful with my group!!!

Thank you very much!

Glad you liked it. ITs kind of how Shadowrun has one of their mechanics, where as long as its not 'super-critical' and all you need is One success, if your die pool is more than the 'difficulty', you can just take the success, BUT ONE SUCCESS is all you get.
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense.

The "take four (three)" rule will earn me a couple of dice rolls. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: