The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Barrier?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Barrier?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Force Barrier? Reply with quote

For some reason I thought this power was already created somewhere but I could not find it. Anyone?

Force Barrier
A defensive technique within the Force composed of Force energy, used to block out any potentially deadly elements. The technique itself was an offshoot of Telekinesis and was aligned to neither the light or dark side but was a neutral ability any Force user could learn and deploy.

Appearance: TCW 113 "Jedi Crash", TCW 219 "The Zillo Beast Strikes Back", TCW 205 "Landing at Point Rain", TCW 709 "Old Friends Not Forgotten" (Failed attempt), C. Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 14,24, VG. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, SWRe 410 "Jedi Night", SWRe 413 "A World Between Worlds", AB. Doctor Aphra, C. Star Wars v3 5

AB. Audio Book
C. Comic book
SWRe Star Wars Rebels Animated Series
TCW The Clone Wars Animated Series
VG. Video Game
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closest thing I can think of in RAW is Lesser Force Shield.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesser Force Shield or Greater Force Shield.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add another voice to that seems to be lesser or greater force shield.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Closest thing I can think of in RAW is Lesser Force Shield.

Forceally wrote:
Lesser Force Shield or Greater Force Shield.

garhkal wrote:
Add another voice to that seems to be lesser or greater force shield.

Thanks guys. Knew I had seen it somewhere. The devil is in the details.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of a modifier to expand the coverage as we see in TCW 219 "The Zillo Beast Strikes Back" when a number of Jedi Masters and I think at least one padawan, might have had a Knight in there too, create a Force Barrier to protect a group of people from the poison gas dropped on the Zillo beast.

Alter Difficulty: Very Difficult. Expanding the barrier to protect others is taxing and difficult, +10 difficulty modifier for each meter of expanded protection.

Also, I am not sure about the alter difficulty being very difficult (21-30). Thoughts?
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Thinking of a modifier to expand the coverage as we see in TCW 219 "The Zillo Beast Strikes Back" when a number of Jedi Masters and I think at least one padawan, might have had a Knight in there too, create a Force Barrier to protect a group of people from the poison gas dropped on the Zillo beast.

Alter Difficulty: Very Difficult. Expanding the barrier to protect others is taxing and difficult, +10 difficulty modifier for each meter of expanded protection.

Also, I am not sure about the alter difficulty being very difficult (21-30). Thoughts?

I don't like "very difficult" for most force powers in games were characters never get above 5ish D for force skills. If the GM is willing to let players get into the 10D range, where known powers can actually be used with some expectation of them actually working, then I have no problem.

I feel like +5 per meter would be good... but that also depends on how much protection this power is able to put out. If I remember correctly, the power itself only offers 0D-2D of protection (?)
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:

I don't like "very difficult" for most force powers in games were characters never get above 5ish D for force skills. If the GM is willing to let players get into the 10D range, where known powers can actually be used with some expectation of them actually working, then I have no problem.

I made a mistake and used the difficulty for {b]Greater[/b] Force Field and not Lesser Force Field. The numbers change to:

Sense Difficulty: Easy
Alter Difficulty: Moderate. Expanding the barrier to protect others is taxing and difficult, +5 difficulty modifier for each meter of expanded protection.
This power can be "kept up"

Naaman wrote:
I feel like +5 per meter would be good... but that also depends on how much protection this power is able to put out. If I remember correctly, the power itself only offers 0D-2D of protection (?)

I also agree that +5 is probably better. Though, in TCW its a bunch of masters in cooperation doing it.

"The shield acts as STR+1D armor to all energy and physical attacks made against the Jedi, including non-directional attacks such as gas clouds and grenade blasts. The shield is not particularly strong, but can sometimes be just enough to protect the Jedi from serious injury."

I think the barrier itself is treated as cover with a STR+1D.

Another question I came up with, since this is a protective power, could it be used as a reactive defense like absorb/dissipate energy? My initial inclination is yes.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, with the example of the Zillo Beast, you have several Jedi working together to create the barrier. Regardless of how powerful they were, what you have there is a group of Jedi creating a shield at the exact same point, more or less. It's akin to erecting several concrete walls back to back to stop an incoming projectile. The projectile is sturdy enough and moving fast enough that it could break through one concrete wall with relative ease, but not several if they're placed directly against each other. So I don't know what to say about that.

As for using the Force barrier as a reactive defense? Maybe, but I think I already made something like that for my Force Compendium. I think it's deflect energy, and I used it to describe how Satele Shan was able to stop Darth Malgus' lightsaber barehanded as depicted in the Hope trailer of The Old Republic computer game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: