The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG stat conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> FFG stat conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noom68
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: FFG stat conversion Reply with quote

NEW here, is there a conversion formula from FFG to D6?
I didn't know where else to post this i couldn't find anything on this subject
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one that have converted some of the character classes, and I think a few other stuff

Look at the conversion threads in chacaters and species, there should a lot of them there,

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7798

Welcome to the rancors

Last edited by Mamatried on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really a lot of new material in the FFG Star Wars? I haven't looked into them, but I would guess that a lot of it is likely just rehashed of a vast majority of stuff that has come before in other versions.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started working on that shortly after the new books were coming out. I took the stats for equipment, weapons, and ships that FFG had in common with D6 to lay out a set of rubrics.

Short story is that there is none.

To have a rubric for conversion it assumes that there is at least some level of consistency between the two lines to have comparable data. Since they had no regard for pre-existing stats, there is way way to create formulas.

There are some converted stats out there, but they're done more with reading the fluff text, a basic understanding of the mechanics, and using them as inspiration to render them into D6.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Conversion assumes that the stats were appropriate in the original system in the first place, even if there was a conversion rubric. Nothing against you guys that convert stuff, but I don't really trust the stats of anything completely, not even official WEG. I will looks at stats of of anything I want to use from any system, but fluff and my own sense of verisimilitude are my largest guides for stating out things. I even restat WEG.

If anyone is struggling with D6 stats for something in another system, just post what info you have and your ideas. Maybe people will chime in with advice.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I will looks at stats of of anything I want to use from any system, but fluff and my own sense of verisimilitude are my largest guides for stating out things. I even restat WEG.

This. Very much this. The guys at the gaming companies writing this stuff are not infallible by any means, so mistakes are gonna slip through from time to time. And since the fans/gamers have the time to find the flaws through their playtime as well as the motivation to fix them...well, that's why places like The Rancor Pit exist.

Hell, I've only just started learning the rules for Star Trek Adventures and I've already spotted a few things in their RAW that weren't as accurate as they could have been. And I'm a noob when it comes to stats. If I can find errors in RPG rules....
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Yes. Conversion assumes that the stats were appropriate in the original system in the first place, even if there was a conversion rubric. Nothing against you guys that convert stuff, but I don't really trust the stats of anything completely, not even official WEG. I will looks at stats of of anything I want to use from any system, but fluff and my own sense of verisimilitude are my largest guides for stating out things. I even restat WEG.

Absolutely yes. I think we made faithful recreations of the d20 stats into D6. But that's about the limit. Personally, I expected people to modify the stats for their own game to suit their own needs. Heck, I have modified some of the conversions when dropping them into my games. I do the same for the books that shootingwomprats has done.

Looking at someone else's conversion stat block and tweaking takes a whole lot less time than trying to come up with it from scratch.

So, Noom68, don't take my saying "there isn't a rubric" as "this is not worth doing." If you take pleasure in it, then definitely start working on your own conversions from FFG to D6, post 'em here for comment, and compile them. Even if it isn't done by the numbers, people will appreciate what you've done.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: conversion Reply with quote

Noom68 wrote:
NEW here is there a conversion formula from FFG to D6
I didn't know where else to post this i couldn't find anything on this subject

Hi Noom68!

First off, belated welcome to the Pit!

Secondly, I did post the general guidelines I use for converting FFG to D6, over in another thread.

It's not a set of formulae per se, but I've found it gets close. (Though I definitely do agree with the constructive crits and feedback, re: conversion processes, offered by Whill, Cheshire, and Sutehp above.)

See link below. Hope this helps!

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=203954#203954

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly tangential, but may provide some reassurance:

This is taken from the WotC archives from an article by the game designers shortly after the release of TCW miniseries regarding statting things which the RAW have not covered:

Quote:

Q: I just saw the latest episode of Clone Wars on the Star Wars website, and I really like the character of General
Grievous. What are his stats?

A: I get questions like this a lot, and I have to wonder if people think that I have a secret repository of game stats somewhere. I don't. So while this might seem like a harsh response, it's the best way to learn: Make up the stats yourself. After all, that's what I do. Sure, you might make mistakes, but you take that risk with anything you do for the first time. The published game designers had to learn, by trial and error, how to design game stats -- just like Tiger Woods had to learn, by trial and error, how to play golf. So take a stab at it, and be prepared to change your design if you find problems. That's a simplification of what professional game designers do, but it also happens to work.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij, thanks for linking your conversion guidelines here.

Naaman, thanks for sharing that. I couldn't agree more, but I'll go further and say that in some cases, it is not merely a simplification of what professional game designers do. A great many WEG stats just seem like a total stab in the dark at including something that meets their contractural requirements to provide important stats for adventures and other supplements. Game authors are primarily authors, and the stats are not really the meat of the products.

There is little evidence to show there was any stats editing to make new stats jive with the existing WEG stats. Core books and some adventures may have had some level of play testing that could possibly tweak initial stats before publication, but I doubt most publications had any playtesting so I'm sure a lot of stats were simply approved as long as they were in the proper format. Some game authors, just like some non-professional GMs, may be better as stats than others.

I really like this answer because it emphasizes that GMs should feel empowered to stat things out themselves, and tweak the results as needed. As stated in the forum guidelines, official stats are not inherently superior to GM stats merely by being published. And some gamemasters seem to lack confidence to trust anything they would create themselves – I feel that stat creation is a part of mastering the game. It's great that we can ask for help from fellow gamers here, but at the end of day each GM has to approve or deny any stats used in their game, regardless of the source.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: