The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Interrogation Chair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Interrogation Chair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:12 am    Post subject: Interrogation Chair Reply with quote

I have always had a hard time coming up with rules for interrogation and torture in d6. As well as the implementation of torture equipment. Here is my take on the interrogation chair we see used in Ep V and Ep VII.

Quote:
Interrogation Chair
Also called torture chair or torture table, was a torture device used to extract information from prisoners. These devices were used by the Inquisitors of the Galactic Empire. The First Order used a similar chair and it contained a number of devices that caused pain across a prisoner's body

Interrogation Chair
Type: Torture device
Skill: Intimidation: interrogation
Cost: Not available for sale (4,500 estimated)
Availability: 2-3, R or X
Game Notes: Use of the chair's built-in pain devices allows the interrogator to make a persuasion or intimidation skill check with a +1D+2 modifier once every hour, contested by the captive's willpower or stamina, whichever is better. The captive can be questioned more than once an hour, but each question also causes 5D damage.
Source: Stats by Emperor Ollie
Appearance: VG. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, N. Phasma, F. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also featured in Rebels when Hera was captured, right?

I think you found a decent rule set for this and how it plays into D6 interrogation and torture. Relating to that, I seem to
remember that the D6 conversion of the Vong stuff from the Rebellion site had some rules for torture/interrogation.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Also featured in Rebels when Hera was captured, right?

Indeed Kannan and Hera.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we had these in High School.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:

Whaaa? Shocked

Did you go to High School on Byss?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternate rule I've considered: treat the pain inflicted by the rack as Stun damage, with the dice penalties applied to the character's Willpower when rolling to resists Intimidation/Persuasion.

For whatever reason, my thoughts regarding exactly what the rack does goes to a couple devices mentioned in the Dune series: the pain box (which uses nerve induction to cause pain without actually damaging), and pain amplifiers (never seen in action, but mentioned as a device Piter De Vries used on Dr. Yueh's wife to gain Yueh's compliance). A nerve induction rack fitted with pain amplifiers makes for a nice bit of techno-babble.

There's also mention in X-Wing: The Krytos Trap that Ysanne Isard used an enhanced version of the rack that also induced sensations of extreme heat and cold along with pain, which had proven even more effective than just pain.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Ray wrote:

Whaaa? Shocked

No. Worse. Sudbury, Ontario.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Xain Arke wrote:
Ray wrote:

Whaaa? Shocked

No. Worse. Sudbury, Ontario.

Yup, been to Ohio, and there I fell to the Dark Side...

Regarding Torture in Star Wars D6, I am generally against stating things like this for lots of reasons... it really takes a game down a dark road. I do not have my book handy to check, but I am fairly certain that there was a passage in the 1E rules regarding this that briefly mentioned the interrogation droid in Episode IV and the chair scene and how they quickly cut away - and later it was mentioned or revealed that they didn't break or reveal anything vital because they were the heros. I know there is a large section in 1E about how NPCs can not use skills like command, leadership, or bargain to force a PC to do anything...and I would put torture on that list for this game setting because the players are supposed to be the heros - they should get to feel like it. In case4s where a player initiates a "Skill Duel" with a skill like Bargain, Leadership, Con, Etc... and the3 NPC wins I have always ruled it that the NPC sticks to their guns, or insists on their price or value, but the player can still do as he pleases in the spirit of 1E.
The Only time I have ever altered this was when a Force User was involved and using mind probing abilities, then if the player failed their resistance the force user was able to learn things.

Granted, this is my view... in a different D6 setting that was le4ss heroic I might get into starting out torture methods or various truth drugs. I personally just feel it is not the feel of the classic, pre-Special Edition Trilogy, and when it comes to Star Wars that is my guide post. Otherwise Vader Definitely would have been able to glean many secrets from Han Solo through Torture - I'm sure careful and creative use of force choking would be even more diabolical and sinister than water boarding.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:

I've been to Long Island and New Jersey. While driving a semi-truck. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. But not necessarily in that order.

Quote:
Regarding Torture in Star Wars D6, I am generally against stating things like this for lots of reasons... it really takes a game down a dark road.

I think we've already crossed that bridge. There was explicit torture on screen in ESB (Han being subjected to the Electro-Rack, Corran Horn is later subjected to similar torture at the hands of Ysanne Isard, and in Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, there are basic stats for two different truth serums: Bavo Six and OV600. It's not unreasonable for characters to be put in situations where they are subject to such things.

I suppose my only issue with the "Interrogation Chair" is that it doesn't appear to do anything, apart from immobilizing a subject while Kylo Ren mind probes them.

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
KageRyu wrote:

I've been to Long Island and New Jersey. While driving a semi-truck. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. But not necessarily in that order.

Quote:
Regarding Torture in Star Wars D6, I am generally against stating things like this for lots of reasons... it really takes a game down a dark road.

I think we've already crossed that bridge. There was explicit torture on screen in ESB (Han being subjected to the Electro-Rack...)

The scene cuts away fairly quickly and it doesn't really get explicit - it is later said by Han that Vader did not even ask any questions.

Again, and I wish I had access to my books (still in storage), but I recall 1E having a very specific and clear passage against getting into playing out torture in the game and I tend to agree with it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
The scene cuts away fairly quickly and it doesn't really get explicit - it is later said by Han that Vader did not even ask any questions.

True, but the asking of questions isn't really the objectionable part, and what little we did see was explicit enough. There's no need to roleplay the whole thing out round-by-round, but at the same time, a few opposed rolls to determine whether or not the character gave up any useful information fits with what we have seen on screen and in the EU.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got rules about social combat, which would apply to interrogation.

For interrogation, determine an amount of time that each interrogation costs, and roll it v. the target's willpower (or, perhaps, Con). The interrogator losing the contest means they become more convinced the person doesn't know anything, or that the information provided by the Con is true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: