The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Synthicator?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Synthicator?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Synthicator? Reply with quote

Perhaps I am just tired but I am unsure how to even stat this. It has been a while since I read the book, but if I remember correctly, she found this chamber/device and was able to figure it out her on her to make her personalized stormtrooper armor. She apparently did not need to do any programming etc. Just tell it what she wanted and provide it with the raw materials. So how would one go about creating mechanics for this device?

Quote:
Synthicator
A costly machine that could manufacture an exact replacement of a part when it broke, without the need to ship in new parts. This machine was used by Captain Phasma to make her chrome-plated armor. The synthicator was present in the Con Star facility on Parnassos. The machine required one to power it up and Phasma made the armor by feeding the machine chrome sheets and then going through the scanning chamber.

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they mean "Replicator".
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I think they mean "Replicator".

I was thinking exactly the same thing Laughing

shootingwomprats wrote:
So how would one go about creating mechanics for this device

I'm not convinced that this can be easily made into D6 stats, it's so alien to Star Wars, like that teleport ring thing in that Boba Fett graphic novel.
I guess it would need some kind of sensors system and a computer or perhaps droid brain to run it. Various technical skills, Engineering and Repair
for example, to actually produce the things. Actual stat mechanics though, your guess is as good as mine.

Are there any D6 Star Trek replicator rules out there?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that if the character possesses the necessary materials, the machine builds whatever they want without a roll. Something like this requires significant power generators.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Synthicator? Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Perhaps I am just tired but I am unsure how to even stat this. It has been a while since I read the book, but if I remember correctly, she found this chamber/device and was able to figure it out her on her to make her personalized stormtrooper armor. She apparently did not need to do any programming etc. Just tell it what she wanted and provide it with the raw materials. So how would one go about creating mechanics for this device?

Quote:
Synthicator
A costly machine that could manufacture an exact replacement of a part when it broke, without the need to ship in new parts. This machine was used by Captain Phasma to make her chrome-plated armor. The synthicator was present in the Con Star facility on Parnassos. The machine required one to power it up and Phasma made the armor by feeding the machine chrome sheets and then going through the scanning chamber.

This thread seems rather pointless, a thread about something you can't stat.

What made you think we need stats for this or it warrants a discussion? A magical device that just perfectly crafts whatever you want it to as long as you feed it the raw materials (and from a sequel trilogy supplemental novel no less)? The most interesting thing about Captain Phasma, her unique chrome armor that deflected a blaster bolt, was made by a 3D printer that requires no programming? The author that created this really dialed it in. Lazy armor backstory.

This magic printer must have made all the armor for the entire First Order Stormtrooper force since Phasma's armor just happens to look like other First Order Stormtrooper armor. That ugly helmet design couldn't have been randomly duplicated by chance.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Synthicator? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Anything can be given stats, Whill, it's just a matter of how to do it a reflect what is in the source material.

Whill wrote:
What made you think we need stats for this or it warrants a discussion?

Everything within the rules of the site warrants a discussion of some sort, no matter how anyone else feels about it, right?...or not? Confused

Shootingwomprats is, I guess, just seeking assistance for an 'in production' source book. One of many he's currently juggling, no doubt Very Happy
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Synthicator? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Unless this is hyperbole, this is exactly the place to post this type question for discussion. You are correct though, it was incredibly lazy storytelling. Anti-climatic and lacking any soul or wow-factor.

It is a single piece of equipment and narrow in focus, but, if the GM wanted to send his players to the same planet, it would be nice to have some stats for this item. Of course he could as you pointed out require only materials be available to craft whatever item is needed or wanted. Using the item as a plot device with no real mechanics needed. Though that seems lazy on my part as a content creator.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you wanted it to be costly, you could link the skill die to the amount of credits spent on materials.

For example 1D for every multiple of the value of the part.

You need a Galactic-dobblie-goobert for your Droxamotoric? Well that normally costs 1000 cr.

So if you put in 1000cr worth of specific basic poly-material (purchased and stockpiled for use in the synthicator) you could roll 1D to try to replicate it.

(Hopefully it's a very easy difficulty)

If you put in 2000cr worth of material, you could roll 2D.
4,000cr and you could roll 3D....etc.

a failure means you have a flawed result and the materials are ruined.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Synthicator? Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:
Whill wrote:
...This thread seems rather pointless, a thread about something you can't stat.

Anything can be given stats, Whill

Not true. Not anything can be given stats, nor should everything have stats. What are the stats of the food Yoda ate out of Luke's supplies? What are the stats of the clothes he wore? Most things certainly do not need stats.

What Don put in the OP (which is what I replied to, not captured by your quote) is not worthy of stats. Enter the material, make a wish, and it comes true.

Quote:
it's just a matter of how to do it a reflect what is in the source material.

Most of us have not read the source material and there has been no discussion on this site to warrant him making that presumption. And as indicated, it seems likely there isn't much else to go on from the source material anyway. How much is there to say about a magic wish parts/armor "synthicator"?

Xain Arke wrote:
Whill wrote:

Everything within the rules of the site warrants a discussion of some sort, no matter how anyone else feels about it, right?...or not? Confused

A couple things here.

Although we discuss a very wide variety of aspects of and tangents to this game, not everything warrants a discussion. Discussing what colors panties Leia wears could possibly remain within the guidelines of the site, but that doesn't mean a discussion is warranted.

Also, you seem to be conflating my feelings about it as the reason for or main factor in my judgement of this being worthy of discussion. They are two related things stated together.

Xain Arke wrote:
Shootingwomprats is, I guess, just seeking assistance for an 'in production' source book. One of many he's currently juggling, no doubt

We shouldn't have to guess. For any question as the topic of a new thread, the purpose for the question should either be explicitly stated or clear. I also qualified my initial statement with "seems" which allows that the thread could have more of a point than it appeared. I followed that by a question, to allow Don to get to the point. Is Don making a Phasma novel sourcebook? An armor creation system document? If he's stated that elsewhere I can't remember. He's very prolific with stats and really all over the place. It is hard to keep track of all the plates he has spinning, and this thread was more confusing than most.

Let's please not shift the focus here to my reply to Don when my reply was in part to bring the OP more into focus. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Well, if you wanted it to be costly, you could link the skill die to the amount of credits spent on materials.

For example 1D for every multiple of the value of the part.

You need a Galactic-dobblie-goobert for your Droxamotoric? Well that normally costs 1000 cr.

So if you put in 1000cr worth of specific basic poly-material (purchased and stockpiled for use in the synthicator) you could roll 1D to try to replicate it.

(Hopefully it's a very easy difficulty)

If you put in 2000cr worth of material, you could roll 2D.
4,000cr and you could roll 3D....etc.

a failure means you have a flawed result and the materials are ruined.

Thanks, Dredwulf. This is game mechanics, but this seems to be adding things to it just for the sake of having mechanics, which further begs the question did this need really need mechanics in the first place? This wouldn't be a straight game adaptation of whats in the novel, which seem to be what Don is going for. I haven't read the novel this appears in, but from what Don indicated, there doesn't appear to be any chance of failure in the process (even a low one). And you just seem to have to supply the RAW materials, so any costs associated with what you are making would mostly have to just be made up for the purpose of using this device.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Synthicator? Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Whill wrote:

Unless this is hyperbole, this is exactly the place to post this type question for discussion.

I wasn't questioning where you posted this type of question. It is tech.

shootingwomprats wrote:
You are correct though, it was incredibly lazy storytelling. Anti-climatic and lacking any soul or wow-factor.

It is a single piece of equipment and narrow in focus, but, if the GM wanted to send his players to the same planet, it would be nice to have some stats for this item. Of course he could as you pointed out require only materials be available to craft whatever item is needed or wanted. Using the item as a plot device with no real mechanics needed. Though that seems lazy on my part as a content creator.

Most campaigns described here are not set in the DT era. Do you see this device as something that existed in the classic era? If so, I personally still don't see this as a plot device I would ever use unless the plot device was that the PCs eventually find out that the fantastic "synthicator" tech is a hoax (maybe the PCs get swindled after a falsified demonstration), in which case it would not need stats. But sure, we could just agree to disagree on the usefulness of this. As I indicated in an above post, my personal evaluation of the worth of this discussion was not the main factor in my questioning this thread.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would agree with what has been said about the backstory of Phantasma's armor being exceptionally lackluster and lazily written - that seems to fit with every aspect of how the new trilogy has been handled. So many great opportunity's missed or sabotaged by just plain laziness on the part of those involved.

That being said...
I have not read the source material in question, nor do I ever intend to. Even in the per-prequel era of Star Wars there were few novels I truly enjoyed or felt did the material well. From what is presented here it seems like a truly great opportunity to give Phantasma's armor an epic Back Story was missed 0 like having it be some prototype from Imperial Weapons Labs never previously deployed or some such... or a special ray coating taken from he Dark Trooper project... Oh so many missed opportunities... Also given that we are in a Galaxy Far Far away, I would not think Phantasm's armor was literally made of chrome nor that chrome could deflect blaster bolts, I would have considered it just to be highly polished to a reflective finish and might more likely have said it was made of stolen Beskar... but that's if I were writing a Star Wars book.

That also being said...
I will concede that there may be some who would like more details to include in a game. I do not feel such a device should come up as a usable item in a game - but could make a great target for sabotage, theft, etc. Based on what has been shared it has a scanning system, obviously has a vocabulary and voice input system, maybe a database of engineering programming to "interpret" verbal input from a user. It obviously needs a great deal of power, raw materials, and a large facility to house it. I would take advice from some others and say it likely has a droid brain, or several. I do not know if the exact workings are described in the source or not, but I am thinking it is some sort of automated production and manufacturing machine like a condensed version of a modern automotive plant - though with the ability to take verbal input, measurements, and visual scanning. So with these details it doesn't sound quite so far fetched for something in a Star Wars Universe... now the real question is deciding how large the items it can produce are, and what the maximum Die Code stats it can assign to any given item or device manufactured is? You may also want to consider if it needs a retooling time to go from making armor to, say, making a blaster?

Now, as far as hard Die Code Stats... well that's the real interesting thing about Role Playing - Stats do not always have to be the recognized attributes or skills of a system. For some things, just a great capsule and an approximation of size, and mass are it. For example - what are the exact stats of a Hyoerdrive Motivator? I am sure the size and weight for different models can be found out there in Star Wars sources, but doe sit need a Die Code or does it suffice to say a Hyperdrive needs one to work? If this Synthicator is infallible then I would say it should not be giiven stats for skills or attributes of any kind... if anything just lists the maximum Die Code it can give to stats on constructed items, and maybe list what types of items are out of bounds for it. I would hardly think that the same device making armor would or should be able to also make food and feel such a vague description was just a Mcguffin because the author could had no idea how to explain the custom armor and just wanted to move along to other parts of the plot. This could easily be described and detailed as a manufacturing device for armor similar to replicator like devices described for Tramp Freighters in GG6 (which can manufacture many simple things given source materials and adequate directions with no skill rolls needed).

Those are my thoughts.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, useful stats for something like this:

1) Cost
2) Availability
3) Fabrication ability. Like, if I need a part, how accurate is the part? How fine can the machining be? Can I get it to a millimeter of tolerance? The micrometer? The nanometer? I could see cheaper variants that had less ability, and expensive varieties that could work on a molecular level. The cheap ones put in iron and turn out iron... the expensive ones can take iron and turn out gold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: