The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Advanced Starfighter Combat for Star Wars D6 (Netbook)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Advanced Starfighter Combat for Star Wars D6 (Netbook) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I loved Firefox! Watched it many times! I don't know if I would write up rules for dropping a mine in a dogfight. That seems to be a very desperate move, since if your pursuer is close enough, you might hit yourself with the blast.

That would depend greatly on range and the type of mine (only one of the four I wrote up is an area-effect). I can certainly see the launching ship potentially taking some damage if an area-effect mine detonates at Point Blank or Short Range. It creates an interesting choice; at longer ranges, you won't get caught in the blast radius, but the target has a better chance of avoiding the weapon.

Quote:
Honestly? I'd have them roll piloting and their gunnery, average the two scores together to set the difficulty for the pursuer. Pursuer fails, he hits the mine.

I do see how this might not be helpful for you... but, I felt I'd share nonetheless.

Actually, I already have a framework for Piloting affecting Gunnery in the Dogfighting rules. Rules for mines could be tied in to that, with the idea being that an attacker who has achieved the "On Your Tail" or "I Have You Now" results is vulnerable to a mine attack.

I hadn't considered it, but it greatly increases the utility of mines in starfighter combat. Thanks.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I loved Firefox! Watched it many times!
Whill wrote:
I saw Firefox on VHS in the late-80s (my high school job got into video rental and it was free for employees). I vaguely remember liking it.

I liked it myself. It's actually based on a novel series by Craig Thomas; Firefox was the first of four.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking a Space of 1-3/5/10 for Mines, with the stipulation of Rear Arc only, and can only be used in dogfighting if the ship is moving. Then for the area-effect mines (pretty much just the Cluster mine), have the mine do Base-2D Damage to the launching ship at Point Blank Range, and Base-4D Damage at Short Range.

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Did you ever see the old Clint Eastwood movie Firefox with the prototype Soviet stealth fighter? Picture the aft-firing anti-missile bomb launchers.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure what you are referring to is the movie's depiction of an anti-missile countermeasures flare.

In the book, I believe it was explicitly a flare that was launched that destroyed the pursuing prototype. But it's been a long time;

though in the movie, he is trying to think in Russian...'Fire rearward missile' or something similar...and the graphic on the display is very missile-y so maybe I'm having a blended memory.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure what you are referring to is the movie's depiction of an anti-missile countermeasures flare.

In the book, I believe it was explicitly a flare that was launched that destroyed the pursuing prototype. But it's been a long time;

though in the movie, he is trying to think in Russian...'Fire rearward missile' or something similar...and the graphic on the display is very missile-y so maybe I'm having a blended memory.

In the film, it is specifically mentioned that it can fire explosives aft that could potentially knock out a pursuing missile, and it is this weapon that is ultimately used to take out the second Firefox.

The reason I brought it up was to clarify that I wasn't thinking in terms of the detection and engagement range of a stationary mine, but rather the "effective" range of a stationary mine being deployed from a moving craft in an attempt to use the mine against a pursuer in a dogfight.

EDIT: Another option would be adding a Thermal Detonator Launcher to the Countermeasures rule.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: