The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

First Edition Lightsaber Combat in Second Edition?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> First Edition Lightsaber Combat in Second Edition? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I agree that a shield would just be normal be Cover for ranged weapons, but bringing melee parrying into this is a tangent from the Force blaster parry.

To clarify, I meant it in terms of non-Force melee combat, where a shield user gets a Cover-based bonus to Melee Parry only when facing a non-FS melee combatant. When using a shield against ranged weapons, the shield would only provide the Cover modifier. For most hand-held shields, the Cover modifier is only going to be +1D or +2D anyway; only something like a Tower Shield is going to get the +4D from 75% Cover, and good luck parrying with that in Melee Combat anyway.

Of course, if one were to combine shield rules with an energy shield-wielding Force user like the Killian Rangers, it could get pretty interesting. Off-hand, based on what I posted above, a shield gauntlet would:
    -Get a Cover modifier of +2D based on 50% coverage (it's ~1 meter in diameter).
    -Would be able to use the shield to parry ranged attacks.
    -Would be able to apply the Shield Modifier to Sense dice when parrying ranged attacks.
    -Either be as indestructible as a lightsaber blade (as in, not have to roll to Soak when struck by an attack), or have an "effective" Strength that can be overpowered if struck hard enough, but that immediately regenerates by the beginning of the next round.
Is there any mention of Killian Rangers using shield gauntlets to redirect blaster bolts back at opponents?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

But unless the bracelets are magic, then they would probably be single use.

Or perhaps phrik.

Also, I suppose it depends on how the GM handles armor in the game.

To be fair, the system I mentioned does dic5ate that the object used takes the damage (but same system applies damage reduction for objects: objects have a "health" rating and all damage they receive is reduced by a certain amount, depending on material, to a minimum of 0).
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Is there any mention of Killian Rangers using shield gauntlets to redirect blaster bolts back at opponents?

Yes, (in d20) they are able to do this once they choose certain talent - Shield Gauntlet Redirect.

Whill wrote:

They could be magnetically sealed for additional protection.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Whill wrote:

Or perhaps phrik.

There's a scene in Season 2 of the Mandalorian where Mando gets in a brief fight with Ahsoka Tano and he blocks her lightsabers with beskar bracers. He does the same against Moff Gideon and the Darksaber.

There's also cortosis alloy, which has similar resistant properties.

I like the idea of energy weapons (both lightsabers and shield gauntlets) having an upper limit as to how much energy they can block before they get overloaded...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
Yes, (in d20) they are able to do this once they choose certain talent - Shield Gauntlet Redirect.

Was there any indication that this was more or less effective at redirection than a lightsaber?

Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

Was there any indication that this was more or less effective at redirection than a lightsaber?

There is - the range is limited to 6 squares (approx. 12 meters). Otherwise it is pure copy-paste of Jedi basic Lightsaber Talent Tree. But Jedi can further boost this basic talents by proper lightsaber forms specialization.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
There is - the range is limited to 6 squares (approx. 12 meters). Otherwise it is pure copy-paste of Jedi basic Lightsaber Talent Tree. But Jedi can further boost this basic talents by proper lightsaber forms specialization.

I'd be less inclined to go with a range cap than I would either a dice penalty or Difficulty modifier on redirect attempts. And it's not outside the realm of possibility that a Killian Ranger would have their own martial form specializing in shield use to keep them on level with Jedi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: