The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Metabarons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Metabarons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Metabarons Reply with quote

So the oversized core rulebook of this WEG RPG is based on R&E in both rules and book layout/presentation. It's virtually the same game system adapted slightly to the setting. It's got a lot of cool artwork. The PC templates and some other things could easily be tweaked for use with Star Wars. It's easily one of my favorite non-Star Wars RPG books. There are only a few releases for the Metabarons RPG.

The game is based on a French comic book series by Alexandro Jodorowsky and based on his unmade 70s film adaptation of Dune by Frank Herbert (the most influential unmade film of all time). It's Greek tragedy infused space opera. Some of the comics have had English adaptations. When I first got the game books years ago, I always wanted to get some of the comics, but they were already expensive to get a hold of back then. Ever since Zack Snyder's Justice League in March, I've been on a comic book kick, hunting down deals on stuff I missed in all the years I wasn't collecting. I've found that in recent years, they have reprinted these Metabarons-related series in lavish hardback form that are also too expensive. But I got lucky on eBay and finally found deals on the four early compilations of the Metabarons comic book series (17 issues, 2000-2001) from two sellers. The first one (#1-5) arrived today. The other three should arrive tomorrow. Comics set in this universe have been published by Marvel Comics, DC Comics, and Humanoids, a former owner of WEG. The comics can be a bit gory at times.

Anyway, this game has come up in discussion on the Pit here and there over the years, but I couldn't find any threads dedicated to it, so I thought I would start one. Anyone else have the comics or this game? Anyone else like it?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm intrigued! Thanks for sharing!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unfamiliar with the comics it is based off of, but I do have the game, a source book, and the GM screen that were printed, and also an unofficial Metabarons companion with lots of additional material I had picked up on the web a long time ago. This was acquired in my massive push to flesh out my D6 library circa 2002-2006 (when I also acquired a lot of DCU materials, Men In Black, and the Hercules and Xena boxed Game, and a few more rare licensed games).
I have never played it as presented, nor read it entirely cover to cover (I read the pamphlet that came with the GM screen in closer scrutiny as it introduced lots of new rules such as perks and flaws... this was prior to my buying the D6 3 book edition). I did like what I read, and introduced some of the tech and vehicles and cultures on various worlds of my Star Wars Campaign and even toyed with allowing players to acquire up to 3D in flaws and Perks. Some of them are unbalanced though.

I did like the artwork, but I hate the large sized book format because it is so hard to store and transport.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd pop in with some trivia. While I have not read the comics, I have learned in recent years about the possible origin of them. It seems that long Before the movie Dune we came to know in it's many incarnations and edits, there was a previous effort to bring it to film by Alejandro Jodorowsky. During his years at creating and putting the project and treatment together to shop around he brought in Moebius to work on Storyboards and collaborate on art and visual direction with many other big names. When the treatment for Dune was ill received and killed before production, the pair took much of the material and some new character designs and worked it up into what became the Metabarons.

The Saga of the Metabarons was published and more widely known in France and parts of Europe starting in 1992 ans were not brought to the states or translated officially until 2001 where they saw censoring. They were later re-released uncensored after much argument and debate - but they did not gain as wide traction in the United States.

The Metabarons game, though it was sold in the U.S. it was not as widely distributed or had nearly as large a print run as the overseas edition which is why it is not well know and harder to find. My understanding (which is from information only read back in 2005-2007) was that WEG handled the U.S. print and release, and the overseas release was done under license by another company. When I had learned of the game I had inquired with West End Games about it, but it was no longer in print or supported due to licensing issues and I had to track it down through other sources. Unfortunately at that time I had a different email provider who required using their client and so none of those discussions are available to me now to refresh my memory from.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Metabarons Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
The game is based on a French comic book series by Alexandro Jodorowsky and based on his unmade 70s film adaptation of Dune by Frank Herbert (the most influential unmade film of all time). It's Greek tragedy infused space opera.
KageRyu wrote:
While I have not read the comics, I have learned in recent years about the possible origin of them. It seems that long Before the movie Dune we came to know in it's many incarnations and edits, there was a previous effort to bring it to film by Alejandro Jodorowsky. During his years at creating and putting the project and treatment together to shop around he brought in Moebius to work on Storyboards and collaborate on art and visual direction with many other big names. When the treatment for Dune was ill received and killed before production, the pair took much of the material and some new character designs and worked it up into what became the Metabarons.

Yes! I highly recommend that all Dune and Metabarons fans watch Jodorowsky's Dune, the 2013 documentary about the Dune movie that never was. It is currently available to rent for $3.99 at many different online outlets.

KageRyu wrote:
The Saga of the Metabarons was published and more widely known in France and parts of Europe starting in 1992 ans were not brought to the states or translated officially until 2001 where they saw censoring. They were later re-released uncensored after much argument and debate - but they did not gain as wide traction in the United States.

I can't imagine that the copies I have were at all censored. They are pretty graphic (downright gross at times).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Metabarons Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Yes! I highly recommend that all Dune and Metabarons fans watch Jodorowsky's Dune, the 2013 documentary about the Dune movie that never was. It is currently available to rent for $3.99 at many different online outlets.

I think it is currently free on Tubi and a few other free streaming channels on Roku.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Jodorowsky's Dune Reply with quote

In my experience, that website I linked above (Reelgood) is very good for showing which streaming services have something, if it is a free or subscription service, and if not then the cost for rental. My profile alerts me when programs I have indicated become available on a subscription service I have or for free. And as far as I can see, it is not currently showing on Tubi. But however anyone can watch it, I recommend it. I watched the documentary a couple years ago but I now can't remember which service I saw it on back then. I'm thinking Netflix or Prime Video, but I'm not sure.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anywhere to buy pdfs of the Metabarons books? DriveThruRPG doesn't even return a Search result for it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or is there at least a summary of the changes from previous versions of D6, or even the more recent ones (opend6 etc.).
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Is there anywhere to buy pdfs of the Metabarons books? DriveThruRPG doesn't even return a Search result for it.

To my knowledge, PDFs aren't for sale anywhere, so it is like WEG Star Wars.

pakman wrote:
Or is there at least a summary of the changes from previous versions of D6, or even the more recent ones (opend6 etc.).

The Metabarons core book ripped off SW R&E. Most of the rules are the same; most of the rules text is even identical. Obviously, all Star Wars IP is replaced with Metabarons IP. The Dark Side is replaced by the replaced by the Necro-Dream. The skill list is a bit different. The Metabarons core book is oversized but even the layout is totally lifted from R&E, with color character images and in-character verbiage introducing each chapter. If it helps, I would call the game system, "SW 2eR&E, Metabarons variant."

Since I love the SW D6 and the R&E book so much, the Metabarons core is easily one of my favorite non-SW RPG books in my collection. It was a small line. After the core, there were literally only three other books published for the game, which I also have.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: