The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Music in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Music in Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a chance to play Jedi: Fallen Order, and I enjoy the music from it. I might have to see about picking up the soundtrack for my games.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I've had a chance to play Jedi: Fallen Order, and I enjoy the music from it. I might have to see about picking up the soundtrack for my games.

My son loves Fallen Order. I have no idea what pandemic trick-or-treating will look like (if at all), but my wife and son put together a DIY Cal Kestis costume for him for Halloween. I had looked online but could only find adult Cal Kestis costumes and they were all over $100, so no way.

I just found out both soundtracks are available for purchase (download, not CDs). Fallen Order has two composers, and Squadrons is made by one of the two. I may have to pick up the Fallen Order one too.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Jedi-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B08FX2RQ65/

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Squadrons-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B08K39SDSB/
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 35-track Deluxe Edition soundtrack for Solo was released today. I bought and downloaded it but haven't listened to it yet.

https://ffm.to/solodeluxe
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
A 35-track Deluxe Edition soundtrack for Solo was released today. I bought and downloaded it but haven't listened to it yet.

https://ffm.to/solodeluxe

Thanks for sharing this. I love the music for Solo.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Thanks for sharing this. I love the music for Solo.

I listened to it last night. It's fantastic.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the second post in this thread with details on the main motifs and themes in Solo (at the bottom, below Rogue One), and updated the prior themes with notations of appearances in Solo. I also mustered up the willpower to update the prior themes with notations of appearances in TRoS, from what I could remember. I'm sorry, but I just have no motivation to add the new themes from TLJ and TRoS to the post.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars Epic Medieval Collection
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars - The Genius of John Williams
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Star Wars - The Genius of John Williams

Great informative video. I didn't understand all of the technical terms, but seeing the music broken down and explained visually showed how John Williams is the master.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it really shows his absolute brilliance. Thanks for sharing this!
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: SW D+ music Reply with quote

So although I listened to them all on YouTube, I never purchased The Mandalorian Season 1 soundtracks because it is eight soundtracks! I recently finished my rewatch of both seasons of TM and looked online to see that they did something much more reasonable for TM s2 and TBoBF s1 – Instead of releasing soundtracks for each episode, they released only two soundtracks for TM s2 and two soundtracks for TBoBF, which will probably be the norm for these D+ series going forward. So I purchased the soundtracks for TM s2 and TBoBF. They have a few songs from each episode. So I decided to go through TM s1 and choose 2-4 tracks for each episode to download at about 1/3 the cost of buying the whole soundtrack for every episode. And it was all free to me because I have an Amazon gift card balance from gifts.

So my personal collection of TM s1 music is similar in scope to the compilation soundtracks released for the two more recent releases. I'll have to create some playlists and start listening to them. It will take me a while to get through them all. It's pretty good music but I am disappointed Williams motif reference is so rare in these.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I updated the second post in this thread with details on the main motifs and themes in Solo (at the bottom, below Rogue One), and updated the prior themes with notations of appearances in Solo. I also mustered up the willpower to update the prior themes with notations of appearances in TRoS, from what I could remember. I'm sorry, but I just have no motivation to add the new themes from TLJ and TRoS to the post.

I didn't see it posted anywhere in the thread - I've used this site as a resource before which might help anyone looking for the missing themes: https://franklehman.com/starwars/
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was one of my sources. I love it, but it is very technical. I try to balance it out with other sources, and also don't want to get too technical here for fear of misspeaking because I have zero official musical training. I just have a lifetime of loving music and an ear for hearing motifs from an intuitive perspective.

It looks like it has been expanded since the last time I looked at it. I still have no motivation to add anything to my post for the DT, but I may go back through and add a few things for other films.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That source was even updated again a few days ago. The guy is a music professor and music theorist who is passionate about Star Wars music.

Star Wars music thematic analysis

It was more involved than I thought it would be, but I went through and updated the second post of this thread (linked above).

~~~

And in case anyone might find this interesting, The Mandalorian has only used a mere four film motifs, and two of those are from the DT. The four are: The Force, Yoda, Snoke, and March of the Resistance. I have to say that I am very disappointed that more film motifs are not referenced. Most film characters don't appear and it is not like I am expecting the film motifs to appear often, but there are opportunities to include more than they have. They didn't even use Luke's theme (the main theme of SW) for Luke's appearance. Sad.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars music thematic analysis Reply with quote

I edited the second post of this thread with something I never noticed until this week. The composer of Rogue One ingeniously based the main theme of the film (Jyn Erso's Theme) on a John Williams musical figure appearing in ANH. I can't remember where I came across this revelation, but I looked on YouTube for a video on it today and sure enough, there was one (which I edited into the original post)...

Quote:
Jyn Erso's Theme (RO, ANH) - The main theme of RO which seems to be inspired by the classical motif Dies Irae and almost exactly corresponds to a musical figure used in the scoring of ANH after Leia's message about the Rebel mission and Luke's call to adventure (Obi-Wan telling Luke he must learn the ways of the Force and come with him to Alderaan). The figure starts immediately after Obi-Wan says he is "getting too old for this sort of thing" and plays as Luke rejects the call. Michael Giacchino basing Jyn Erso's motif on this figure essentially puts her motif retroactively into ANH at a thematically appropriate moment when it is up to other characters to continue the mission she died for. This is pure genius!

That's so cool, and explains why Jyn's motif always seemed so inherently Star Wars. The main themes of both anthology films actually go back to John Williams.

In other Rogue One music news, last month an Expanded Edition of the score was released, not unlike the Deluxe Edition of Solo that was released in 2020. It seems to have all the music from the film, plus alternate versions of some cues as bonuses. 57 tracks, 2h24m. The deluxe Solo album was available on CD, but so far the Expanded Edition of RO is only available in digital download ($11.49 on Amazon), with a 4-disc vinyl album ($75 plus shipping) available to pre-order now (ships in April).

The only Star Wars soundtrack I currently have on vinyl is the original 1977 soundtrack (which cost me 25 cents at a yard sale). I considered splurging for the Expanded Edition of RO because it would be kinda cool to also have my favorite Disney SW movie soundtrack on vinyl. But as far as I can tell, the vinyl set does not comes with digital downloads which I would still want anyway, so I decided to just skip the records and just go cheap to get the digital downloads only. I've listened to some of it tonight. It's great.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: