The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Let's do Star Wars comic books!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Let's do Star Wars comic books! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today was Free Comic Book Day, and now that I have a new comic shop (starting earlier this year), my son and I went. I picked up two free Star Wars High Republic comics books. One is a black-and-white manga-inspired comic, and it also has a second Guardians of the Whills story in the same style. I didn't really care for that one much. The other one (in full color with better art) was pretty cool. It has a younger Master Yoda.

As cited here, not being able to get the High Republic #1 in January was what provoked me to find a new comic shop, and they gave me free Star Wars comics today. Suck it Comic Town!

There are tons of Star Wars comics out nowadays. Anyone reading Star Wars comics, old or new?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are there are any good canon comics that tie into the films? Any Solo or Rogue One related limited series that are good?

FYI, Star Wars Reveals the First Meeting Between Princess Leia and Solo's Qi'ra (plot spoilers about current comic book)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So are there are any good canon comics that tie into the films? Any Solo or Rogue One related limited series that are good?

Sorry whill, missed this one in the past.

I can say that the darkhorse clone wars series is really good - and it tied into the prequels fairly well (and some of it was supported in later clone wars animated as well).

Also, the Quinlan Vos - jedi in darkness is really good (all his stories from the clone wars). I think it is an excellent portrayal of an "not-shiny" type of jedi, and the work they can do.

I have not checked out High Republic yet, but plan too.
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Omnibus-Quinlan-Darkness-ebook/dp/B00QSDOWTI/ref=sr_1_1?

One of my players (campaign started in pre-clone wars era) wanted to be a "jedi infiltrator" who would do undercover work to help bring down criminal organizations - I thought the dark horse (and some of the clone wars) did a good job with this type of jedi.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
I can say that the darkhorse clone wars series is really good - and it tied into the prequels fairly well (and some of it was supported in later clone wars animated as well).

Also, the Quinlan Vos - jedi in darkness is really good (all his stories from the clone wars). I think it is an excellent portrayal of an "not-shiny" type of jedi, and the work they can do.

I do have one Clone Wars trade paperback, and I believe it has Quinlan Vos on the cover. I got it because it has Separatists using their own clone army, which somewhat addresses the common fanboy complaint that the PT doesn't conform to their preconception of "The Clone Wars" because the enemy of the Republic doesn't use clones.

I'll have to get out that comic box and post a list of the Star Wars comics I have. It won't be too long of a list...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: MY STAR WARS COMICS Reply with quote

My Star Wars comic book collection is below.

I have a comic book box that is all Marvel and Dark Horse, so Star Wars is at the back of that box. For Star Wars I first have all Marvel (old and new), then the Dark Horse reprints of Marvel, then Dark Horse, and within each section the comics are roughly in the order that they take place in. The IDW and Viz issues are in another comic box, and The Star Wars is on my bookshelf with other Star Wars books.

Below, my SW comics are listed in roughly release order of the stories.

LEGENDS

Classic Marvel Comics Originals

Star Wars Annual #1 (1979)

Dark Horse Comics Reprints of Marvel's Classic Movie Adaptations

Classic Star Wars: A New Hope [TPB compiling Star Wars #1-6, 1977]
Classic Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back [TPB compiling Star Wars #39-44, 1980]
Classic Star Wars: Return of the Jedi [TPB compiling Return of the Jedi #1-4, 1983]

Dark Horse

Star Wars: Dark Empire [TPB compiling 1991-92 miniseries]
Shadows of the Empire [TPB compiling Shadows of the Empire #1-6, 1996]
Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron Special (1995)
Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron #1-16 (1995-97)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron #1⁄2 [Wizard Magazine Special, 1997]
Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron: Requiem for a Rogue [TPB compiling #17-20, 1997]
Star Wars Omnibus: X-Wing Rogue Squadron Volume 3 [compiling #21-35, 1997-98]
Star Wars Handbook 1: X-Wing Rogue Squadron (1998)
Shadows of the Empire: Evolution [TPB compiling Shadows of the Empire: Evolution #1-5, 1998]
Star Wars: Darth Maul [TPB compiling 2000 miniseries]
Star Wars: Clone Wars Volume 8: The Last Siege, the Final Truth [TPB compiling Star Wars: Republic #72-77, 2004-05]
X-Wing: Rogue Leader #1-3 (2005)
Star Wars Fan Club Special 2010 [reprint of story from Star Wars Tales #6, 2000]
Star Wars #1 (2013)

INFINITIES

Dark Horse

The Star Wars (Hardcover book compiling The Star Wars #0-8, 2013-14)

CANON

Disney Marvel

Star Wars #1 (2015)
Darth Vader #1 (2015)
Lando #1-5 (2015)
Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens — Shattered Empire (2015) [TPB compiling Shattered Empire #1-4 and Princess Leia #1]
Rogue One – Cassian & K-2SO Special #1 (2017)
Becket #1 (2018)
Star Wars: Darth Vader: Burning Seas [TPB compiling Star Wars: Darth Vader (2017 series) #13-17, 2018]
Star Wars Vol. 8: Mutiny at Mon Cala [TPB compiling Star Wars (2015 series) #44-49, 2018]
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Vol. 7 — A Rogue's End [TPB compiling Doctor Aphra (2016 series) #37-40, Doctor Aphra Annual #3, "Epilogue" from Empire Ascendant, 2019]
Doctor Aphra #1 (Halloween Trick or Read 2022) [reprint of Doctor Aphra #1 (2020)]

IDW

The High Republic Adventures Free Comic Book Day 2021

Viz Media

The High Republic – The Edge of Balance/Guardians of the Whills [FCBD 2021, samples of those two manga comics]

From (very mildly) getting back into collecting superhero comics, I have observed that Marvel has several new Star Wars comics every week. It's nuts, but they must be selling well. Star Wars is like Marvel's Batman.

Disney owning Marvel Comics (and not having to have an exclusive licensing deal) allows them to pimp out other publishers to put out even more SW comics. IDW Star Wars comics seems to focus on kids, and Viz makes the manga. Dark Horse is getting back in the game for certain Star Wars books too. That makes four current publishers of Star Wars comics.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda's brutal!

Quote:

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: