The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Imperial Senate and Opposition to the Empire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Imperial Senate and Opposition to the Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prophet 49
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: The Imperial Senate and Opposition to the Empire Reply with quote

This is a Legends-based question. One thing that has always bothered me in the EU (mainly Legends) is the inconsistency with the power, scope, and role of the Imperial Senate. If you watch the movies in order, Revenge of the Sith makes it seem as if the creation of the Empire was the death knell for planetary representation in the Galaxy and that everything going forward would be authoritarian and top-down. Yet in A New Hope, Daine Jir and other high-ranking officers of the Imperial Military (we’re talking the heads of the Navy and Army level of top brass) are fearful of the retaliation of the Imperial Senate if they ever catch wind of what the military and other branches of the Empire were up to. And then you have the vast array of EU novels, sourcebooks, stories, and guides that add to this confusion by never really clarifying this conflict.

Basically, there are roughly two interpretations of the Empire throughout the vast expanse of Star Wars lore from 1976 to 2014 (before the Legends label was applied). On one hand, you have the Empire described as this ironclad totalitarian regime which seeks to envelop the entire galaxy in a grip of ideological control. On the other hand, you have the Empire that is more of a corruption of the Republic and acts as more of an authoritarian regime that only cares for its own survival, and cares less about becoming an Orwellian nightmare state and more about just increasing its own wealth and power and acting like the galactic hegemony with its highest ranking officials only concerned with cementing their own powerbases. Current “Disney” canon (I don’t like using that term but is helps to differentiate) seems to definitely portray the Empire as more of the former, with the totalitarian aspects being very overt.

But back to my original point. In both of these instances, the one thing that has always eluded me is the actual role and power of the Senate within the Empire, and the roles of individual senators themselves. What I mean is that I don’t understand why there are so many senators in the Empire that seem to be able to openly voice their disdain and hate for the Empire unchallenged and without being silenced by the Imperial authorities. If the Empire is supposed to be this authoritarian/autocratic regime where “liberty dies” (according to Padme and the films) then why were there so many senators throughout the EU that just said “f**k it, screw the Emperor and the New Order”. This is even supported in the original film itself when Daine Jir mentioned to Vader that arresting Leia would “generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the Senate.” Wait… WHAT? Since when would it be ok for the national legislature of any nation to openly side with a rebellion? The fact that he was worried about this heavily implies that the Senate was already overtly working against the operations of the Emperor and his administrative bureaucracy. The EU describes the actions of many prominent senators that did openly oppose the New Order. Namely, I am thinking of, just to name a few: Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, Garm bel Iblis, and Canna Omonda. These are all senators from high-profile core worlds (Alderaan, Chandrila, and Corellia), so they definitely held a lot of sway and influence. It wasn’t until the official declaration of Rebellion in 2 BBY that they were either forced to resign, attempted to be arrested, attempted to be assassinated, or whatever. If the Empire was formed in 19 BBY, why were these prominent senators permitted to speak out so openly against the Emperor for so long (17 years) before the Empire took any action against them? It makes no sense. They had plenty of time to sway public opinion on their worlds and others to not go along with the Emperor and his New Order. If they were dealt with sooner, there might not have been such a strong rebel force to oppose the Empire in the first place.

Which brings me to COMPNOR and the Imperial Security Bureau. What were these guys doing? The entire point of these organizations was to, as the Imperial Sourcebook puts it, actively promote and build the ethic of the New Order into the life of the average galactic citizen. COMPNOR was the Empire’s “party apparatus” and the ISB was the “secret police”. Their jobs are *literally* to police the political sphere of the Empire and snuff out any subversion or opposition that might spark into a full-blown rebellion or mass movement against the state. This is basic Dictatorship 101 and has been the case in real world history for centuries. Well… I think that groups of high-profile and publicly influential senators who are speaking out overtly against the New Order and the political establishment of the Empire would constitute a little secret police response. Why weren’t these senators “disappeared”. An “accident” could have been easily arranged. “Whoops… Senator Mothma’s shuttle crashed into an asteroid. Shame shame.” Or why wasn’t COMPNOR rigging elections on the Imperial member worlds to ensure that pro-Empire senators were guaranteed office in the Senate. None of it makes sense and it really takes me out of the universe. There is no explanation given.

I did not expect to ramble as much as I did. Sorry. I don’t expect anyone to read this haha. Just a few thoughts.

TLDR: Why did the “totalitarian” Empire permit open opposition in the Imperial Senate to the point of it growing into full scale rebellion? Why didn’t the Empire’s internal security apparatus silence this opposition before it grew out of control?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine that the Senate was something of, as Tarkin said, a vestige, and itself vestigal.

So, you have an Emperor, who is the power in the galaxy. But planets still want representation in the government, so you keep the Senate, where people can get up and yell about things. Those things don't necessarily have an effect on the policies of the Empire, but people feel like they do, especially if the Emperor occasionally shifts based on what a senator says (in things that are not central to his goals).

It was also implied that the Senate did a lot of the paper-pushing of the Empire; writing laws and such to support the decrees of the Emperor. The officer (whose name I do not know) questions what the Emperor would do without the bureaucracy of the Senate... so that may have been a reason to keep it.

As for why he let people be seditious? Some of it was no doubt letting Steam escape, but this was also addressed in Rebels. Senator Trayvis was openly advocating for the rebellion, but secretly using his position and prominence to lure Rebels to traps.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the history of pretty much any republic that became a dictatorship - the 20th century has plenty of examples - and the parallels are pretty obvious. If you want to “boil it down”, the allegory of a frog in the boiling pot pretty well sums it up. Better to turn up the temperature (or seize power) a little at a time than all at once. Do it slowly and gradually and fewer people notice until it’s too late.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Imperial Senate and Opposition to the Empire Reply with quote

Prophet 49 wrote:
...Why did the “totalitarian” Empire permit open opposition in the Imperial Senate to the point of it growing into full scale rebellion? Why didn’t the Empire’s internal security apparatus silence this opposition before it grew out of control?

Prophet 49, welcome to the Pit! Great first post!

RotS wrote:
Senator Bail Organa : It could be a trap.
Obi-Wan Kenobi : No, I don't think so. The Chancellor will not be able to control the thousands of star systems without keeping the Senate intact.

ANH wrote:
Governor Tarkin : The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the old Republic have been swept away.
General Tagge : That's impossible. How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?
Governor Tarkin : The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

I have no doubt it has been inconsistently portrayed in supporting publications (in both canons), but I think it is fairly clear from Episodes III and IV alone. this is the way I see it.

Palpatine couldn't go straight to full-tilt dictator overnight or there be "civil war without end." Palpatine slowly gained more and more emergency powers over the course of the separatist crisis and clone war, so that the Empire would seem necessary for "safe and secure society." The Galactic Senate actually legitimized Palpatine's rule by voting to install Palpatine as Emperor for life. The Senate did this because at the time they believed that they would still maintain control over the succession of the office (which Palpatine let them believe), and the more idealistic Senators were hopeful that the Republic could still be fully restored one day (maybe after Palpatine was gone).

Palpatine's plan was always to eventually do away with the Senate, but he couldn't do that without the Death Star. Until he could rule through fear of the battle station, the Senate was necessary. Plenty of Senators were corrupt, so their corruption helped maintain the institution of the Senate and opposed opposition to Palpatine. But the Senate only ever had as much power as Palpatine let them have, which was just enough to perpetuate it and maintain the bureaucracy until it was no longer needed. Palpatine probably made a lot of key corrupt Senators feel important to the Empire without them having any knowledge of the Death Star or Palpatine's Grand Plan.

I think you misinterpreted the meaning of the ANH dialogue about sympathy for the Rebellion in the Senate. Leia nor or any Senator ever openly rebelled against the Emperor while still active in the Senate. (Mon Mothma left the Senate to lead the Alliance.) Sympathy for the Rebellion in the Senate would come from Imperial military overreach becoming widely known.

As the Death Star's completion was delayed, unrest over Imperial control naturally grew over time. With the Imperial Senate still having a modicum of power in the Empire, the Rebellion's existence was vital to the continued justification for military might in the Empire. If the Emperor had just quickly eliminated all his enemies, then there would be peace in the galaxy, and peace doesn't build star destroyers and armies of stormtroopers. The Rebellion made military build-up seem necessary to maintain security, and the more military might there is, the easier it is to hide military funding and secret construction projects from the Senate.

The Death Star destroying Alderaan showed the galaxy they could not win a rebellion because millions of innocents anywhere in the galaxy can be destroyed in flash. The Senate was no longer needed so it was disbanded. Now he would rule through fear. The Alliance knew destroying the Death Star was the only hope for the Rebellion, and they did. The Emperor showed the galaxy what he is really capable of, and the galaxy gained hope he could be defeated.

TL;DR - The Death Star was the key factor in making Palpatine's control over the galaxy permanent. Until then, the Senate was required to maintain the Empire. The Rebellion was actually necessary to justify a military dictatorship until the Death Star was ready.

I hope this helps.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In support of Whill's perceptive post; without the Death Star the Senate was necessary to keep the Empire's day-to-day bureaucracy functioning.
Without it, regional governors and fear of the Death Star.

Quote:

Grand Moff Tarkin : The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

General Tagge : That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

Grand Moff Tarkin : The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. The fuller dialogue quote would have been better for my post. Yes, the system of regional governors was in place and would have had all the support they needed to maintain control without the Senate if they had the public fear of the Death Star to keep the masses in line.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: