The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Shatterzone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Shatterzone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Shatterzone Reply with quote

I've heard rumblings of a WEG game called Shatterzone for years, but never really looked into it. My understanding is that it was a sci-fi game based on the D6 system, but more along the lines of cyber-punk than Star Wars. I also heard that it served as a dumping ground of sorts for ideas that WEG designers had for Star Wars that didn't make it past Lucas' canon police. I've been trying to find copies of the books, but I'm coming up empty. Anyone have any ideas?

P.S. If your suggestions involve file-sharing, please contact me by PM, as this site does not condone copyright violation.

[2021 ADMIN EDIT: Shatterzone]
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... you realize that your above phrase could appear as though you're ASKING people to send you PMs about violating copyright, right? Advertising as such on a board that doesn't condone copyright violation still doesn't look good.

Anyhoo... yes, I've seen some of the books. Once I even got shipped the Stock Ships from Shatterzone instead of from Star Wars. Just looking at the ships, I couldn't see any information there that was useful in terms of stats. It looked like it was a totally different system, looking at the stat blocks.

A search on eBay revealed that there are quite a few books available for pretty cheap. What book or books are you interested in?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, really. I've been trying to find excerpts from the main rulebook just to see if it's compatible with Star Wars D6. If you're saying it isn't. then I probably won't even bother. WEG's D6 books specifically state that they use material from Shatterzone, converted to what amounts to a 3E D6 gaming system, so I may just stick with that.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Shatterzone Reply with quote

...Shatterzone has a system that isn't really like Star Wars, but it is nonetheless a detailed system that isn't hard to start learning. Among its intricacies are a type of Merits & Flaws system that lets one add more capability early on. If memory serves it employed a D10 system rather than a D6--it's been a while, so anyone reading feel free to correct me. It also had a system of random card draws that added an element of suspense even beyond the randomness of the dice (I think this alone makes it worth checking out at least). One the plus side, the artwork is excellent, the setting is very detailed (& can be easily borrowed from), & is great for a game set one the fringes of society (there's even a book for the game called "Fringers" which covers this among other things).

...My advice would be to check out the main boxed set if you can get it!
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shatterzone is a gritty space opera adaptation of the Torg system, which uses a d20 but relies just as much on cards from its signature "action deck." Those cards were later added to the revamp of the D6 system, but otherwise there's no connection to D6SW.

Task resolution matches a target number to the sum of the player's attribute (9-13, usually), a skill bonus (from 0 on up), a number produced by an open-ended die roll against a logarithmic chart (usually -5 to +5, but occasionally very large), and any incidental bonuses, notably including cards and that round's approved actions.

The action deck has several uses, only two of which I will address here. First, every player is dealt a small hand which can be used for timely bonuses: anything from an extra action to a hint from the GM to a romantic subplot. Second, a card is drawn every round (in combat) or every scene (out of combat) to produce temporary advantages to one side or another, or randomly to designate certain kinds of actions--bluff, attack, maneuver, etc.--for temporary bonuses. The point of both features is to mix things up a bit, encouraging players through temporary bonuses to do something other than "hitting the next guy in line" or using their best skill over and over, and throwing the flow of battle back and forth.

Elegant it ain't, but sometimes it works, and when it does, it's pretty cool. I find the results aren't worth the hassle; ultimately, the deck just becomes another layer to minimax, serving the plot no better than simple dice rolls. Others are very enthusiastic about the action deck. If you want to try it, be sure to get an action deck in the deal, or you're missing out on the system's most distinctive feature.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting note: In the back of WEG's D6 Space Opera book, there is a Shatterzone-to-D6 Conversion formula. Just found this last night.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related: A couple links to Shatterzone-to-D6 conversion pdfs...

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice necro! I moved this to Miscellanea.

Fluffwise, legend has it that Shatterzone was the repository for some WEG SW ideas nixed by Lucasfilm. Two books were recommended to me that had good ideas for Star Wars, a Fringers book and a Fleet book. Of those, I only ever got the Fringers book but haven't opened it in many years. I also have a Shatterzone universe guide that also has the D6 Space Opera in the back with the D6 conversion info. It does seem like gritty space opera.

Ruleswise, Shatterzone's game system is the middle step of a three-part evolution, as indicated below:

TORG
Shatterzone
Masterbook

I've never played Shatterzone and don't have the core rules, but I have the other two. I don't remember much about TORG but maybe the system was good for that game, the game it was invented for. Masterbook sucked. I played Indiana Jones (not just the setting–I played the character of Indiana Jones himself), and I died. It is too deadly.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Fluffwise, legend has it that Shatterzone was the repository for some WEG SW ideas nixed by Lucasfilm. Two books were recommended to me that had good ideas for Star Wars, a Fringers book and a Fleet book. Of those, I only ever got the Fringers book but haven't opened it in many years. I also have a Shatterzone universe guide that also has the D6 Space Opera in the back with the D6 conversion info. It does seem like gritty space opera.

I recall reading that somewhere recently. I'm curious to get ahold of the books and read up on the setting to see what's worth porting over, but they're hard to come by.

Quote:
I've never played Shatterzone and don't have the core rules, but I have the other two. I don't remember much about TORG but maybe the system was good for that game, the game it was invented for. Masterbook sucked. I played Indiana Jones (not just the setting–I played the character of Indiana Jones himself), and I died. It is too deadly.

I've never felt a real burning desire to try out Masterbook, so I guess that's all I need to hear...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question... Since WEG made "their systems" free to access, and Shatterzone was fully produced and owned by WEG, is the discussion of sharing Shatterzone pdf's exempt from the Pit ban on file sharing?

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
A question... Since WEG made "their systems" free to access, and Shatterzone was fully produced and owned by WEG, is the discussion of sharing Shatterzone pdf's exempt from the Pit ban on file sharing?

Great question considering the old discussion above in this newly bumped thread. WEG did not make all their systems "free to access." The only WEG game system that was released as open game content is D6. The only published setting that is free to access is Bill Coffin's Septimus. That's why Purgatory WEG D6 Worldbook releases such as Fires of Amatsumara and Bloodshadows are not OGC. Purgatory Publishing sold the WEG publishing imprint and other WEG properties to multiple buyers.

Please also note that some licensed D6 works exist from both before and after Open D6, and those are not free to access, such as D6 Powers, Zorro: The Roleplaying Game, and Carbon Grey: The Role-playing Game.

Shatterzone, both the game system and setting, are the property of Precis Intermedia. Here is Precis Intermedia's webpage devoted to Shatterzone, which includes some previews.

So cheshire was correct for saying something above, and the discussion of sharing Shatterzone PDFs is not exempt from the Pit ban on file sharing (which includes the public discussion of PMing about it). On the Rancor Pit Library, the safe documents are listed in or linked from the Purgatory WEG / OpenD6 (OGL) section. For your convenience, it is easiest to just consider anything outside of those as not exempt from the Pit ban on file sharing.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just legally downloaded the series; cost ~$65.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect it'll take me a while to fully grok it (never played any Masterbook games), but there's a few useful tidbits in there. There's several tech concepts and scenarios that'd port over to the SWU with relative ease. First impression, the $6.95 for the download is worth it.

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I expect it'll take me a while to fully grok it (never played any Masterbook games), but there's a few useful tidbits in there. There's several tech concepts and scenarios that'd port over to the SWU with relative ease. First impression, the $6.95 for the download is worth it.

Cool. As a minor technicality about the game system, Shatterzone is not quite Masterbook. In the evolution of the game systems, Shatterzone is the intermediate step in between TORG and Masterbook.

Now I've never played Shatterzone – I've only played the predecessor game and the successor system. I supposed TORG's system was good for TORG. Masterbook sucked bantha poodu, at least for cinematic adventuring like Indiana Jones (and Star Wars). Shatterzone seems to be a bit darker of a setting than SW, so maybe the system works for the game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: