The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Initiative and Wild Dice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Initiative and Wild Dice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Initiative and Wild Dice Reply with quote

Per the RAW, Initiative is rolled once at the beginning of combat, and doesn't change until the combat is resolved, which means that, regardless of how the fight turns out, one side will always be running slightly behind the other. It's my understanding that real combat isn't nearly as "set" as that, with initiative changing hands throughout the battle based on a mixture of skill and luck. When I did my write-up for Dueling Sabers, I came up with a system that incorporated this, with the Initiative winner having a degree of control over how combat progressed. I also included a system that would occasionally trigger an Initiative re-roll. It just occurred to me that the system could potentially work in genera application, too. So, here's the gist of it:
    1) Roll Initiative as normal, and proceed with combat.

2) However, if any of the following occur, re-calculate Initiative as instructed:
      A). Winner rolls a Wild Die 1, or the loser rolls a Wild Die 6 (re-roll initiative)
      B). Winner rolls a Wild Die 1 and Loser rolls a Wild Die 6 (initiative switches automatically)
      C). Winner takes a hit that does Stun damage or greater (initiative switches automatically)
So the idea is that, if the side with Initiative suffers a misfortune, or the side without gets lucky, there's a chance for Initiative to switch sides mid-battle.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Initiative and Wild Dice Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Per the RAW, Initiative is rolled once at the beginning of combat, and doesn't change until the combat is resolved, which means that, regardless of how the fight turns out, one side will always be running slightly behind the other.

That is not true. Per R&E p.77-78, Initiative is rolled "each round." I had misremembered RAW too and we discussed my revelation of it last year.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Initiative and Wild Dice Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Per the RAW, Initiative is rolled once at the beginning of combat, and doesn't change until the combat is resolved, which means that, regardless of how the fight turns out, one side will always be running slightly behind the other.

That is not true. Per R&E p.77-78, Initiative is rolled "each round." I had misremembered RAW too and we discussed my revelation of it last year.

That's the problem with closing on 15,000 posts in the forum; it's really easy to lose track of what we've already covered without taking notes.

That being said, I'd still like some opinions on the House Rule. There's something appealing about potentially not having to re-roll Initiative every round and having the Initiative be influenced by the actions / failures of the characters in the previous round.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my games I use a slightly modified version of initiative. Each PC and important NPC rolls individual initiative using Perception. Groups of NPCs each get their own group initiative based upon the highest Perception. Combat continues in order of initiative unless something affects the combat or someone chooses to reset their initiative.

Resetting initiative is a full round action, the player rerolls Perception.

A character may hold their action and go later in the round, but their initiative is now set this new point. If two characters go on the same round, the one with the higher initial roll would go first or based on Perception dice.

Things that might require new initiative rolls could be: a new group arrives, air support shows up, building explodes, earthquake, etc.

I forgot to mention earlier, Character Points can be spent on initiative rolls as well.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Initiative and Wild Dice Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That's the problem with closing on 15,000 posts in the forum; it's really easy to lose track of what we've already covered without taking notes.

The forum is the notes. Really massive notes. It is hard to remember everything and keep track of it, for sure.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

...That being said, I'd still like some opinions on the House Rule.

Since the thread starts out with a misquote of RAW, my first priority late last night was just pointing that out. We don't want people reading the forum to think RAW says something it doesn't.

But yes, please do discuss the house rule...
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: