The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Trek!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Star Trek! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looked more like someone put voyager into a music video.. NOT a clip of a new potential movie.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
One of my friends from one of the 3D forums who I have done some work with over the years has leaked some of the VFX from the new Voyager movie in production, and the effects are spectacular. This is not for the feint of heart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPO-i6TOqB0

What did you do to my brain, KageRyu!?!?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That looked more like someone put voyager into a music video.. NOT a clip of a new potential movie.

cheshire wrote:

What did you do to my brain, KageRyu!?!?

Sorry, just being a bit of a troublemaker. Couldn't resist.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did enjoy the Enterprise's "aft wiggle" as it moved.
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the laugh, KageRyu! Laughing
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
One of my friends from one of the 3D forums who I have done some work with over the years has leaked some of the VFX from the new Voyager movie in production, and the effects are spectacular. This is not for the feint of heart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPO-i6TOqB0

OMFG, that was amazing to watch. I laughed my @$$ off the whole time.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finished my final ever viewing of Nemesis. That is definitely the best of the three stinker Trek films. A Reman uprising is a great idea for involving Romulans in a Trek film, except for the whole premise of a human being the leader of the Remans. I don't care who he is the clone of. And another long long lost brother of Data is lame. Other than these things, not a bad film overall. I read that Patrick Stewart got paid as much or more money for this film than his entire seven years on TNG. They probably aren't shelling out that kind of dough for the Picard series, but he probably does get as much as the rest of the cast combined.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fo me, the Next generation series of films (NOT INCLUDING generations) was
First contact
Nemesis
Insurrection..
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Star Trek Reply with quote

So I finally got back to Star Trek and watched Picard (season 1). It was better than I thought it would be. I would have to say that there were a handful of plot elements that seemed a bit contrived, but the show was still pretty good. My wife got interested in it after a few episodes and watched it with me. I think she liked it enough to want to watch season 2 (and maybe even rewatch season 1 from the beginning) before season 2 comes out. The season 2 trailer teased Q which I am not really excited about, but I'm still in.

This week I will rewatch the season finale of Discovery season 2 and start on season 3. That Trek fan club card is getting so close I can smell it!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is a momentous day. This morning before work I finished Star Trek. For the first time since 1988, I am completely caught up on all live-action Star Trek! Discovery season 4 comes out late this year, and I will watch it new.

I didn't enjoy Discovery season 3 as much as the first two seasons, but it was still pretty good.

The end of season 2 addressed the complaints that Discovery contradicted canon and explained why it actually doesn't, tying it all up with a pretty little bow. The failure of holographic technology was addressed. There is a specific reason that the adventures of the Discovery, the war with the Klingon clan, the existence of the Mirror Universe, the Discovery's spore drive, its crew, and its mere existence were all covered up. Spock and his parents are emphatically not allowed to ever refer to Spock's adoptive human sister for a very good reason. Discovery (and the data fused with it) going over 900 years into the future was necessary to save the galaxy from a time-traveling AI from the future bent on destroying all sentient life.

But all that meant that Discovery can't ever go back to the 23rd century. I like how they incorporated Discovery's new setting (the 32nd century) into the mythos of the temporal wars in Enterprise. To make it less fantastic they set-up a fractured galaxy where most dilithium had exploded simultaneously after the temporal wars, and FTL was severely limited now. However there were still some crazy technological advances, such as personal transporters and such, that make Picard's dawn of the 25th century setting seem archaic. So I liked new Trek's 2250s better, but thankfully we are getting more of that elsewhere in the future.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting all caught up!

I think I'm all caught up (on the live action Trek), and have been since I discovered TOS in the late 70s, but I don't know for sure if I ever watched all of Enterprise.

I'm really looking forward to Strange New Worlds, as I very much enjoyed Anson Mount's Pike on Discovery.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Congrats on getting all caught up!

I think I'm all caught up (on the live action Trek), and have been since I discovered TOS in the late 70s, but I don't know for sure if I ever watched all of Enterprise.

Enterprise got better as it went along. The first two seasons of ENT are pretty episodic, but season 3 is one entire story arc (search for the Xindi superweapon) and it is pretty good, the best part of the temporal war story metaplot introduced in the pilot (it is tied in). The temporal war was a great concept but overall it was poorly realized, so at the start of season 4 they completely wrapped it up in a really dumb episode with alien Nazis. The resolution of the temporal war that some of the future incursions into the 22nd century never occurred, which undid some of the series to that point and could resolve a lot of the perceived contradictions with canon.

The rest of ENT season 4 was mostly small 2-4 episode story arcs. Except for a couple single episode stinkers, the rest of the season is great, earning its place as one of my favorite seasons of any Trek series. It revealed why Vulcans were different in ENT (Romulans had secretly infiltrated Vulcan leadership), but it was resolved without any pre-Federation species learning of the infiltration (so no one knowingly saw Romulans) and the Vulcan culture established by TOS was the outcome. Canon maintained. ENT s4 really ties into the rest of the franchise, especially TOS, even explaining why some Klingons in TOS looked very human (a failed attempt at Khan genetic engineering on Klingons). ENT s4 is a love letter to TOS, and I highly recommend it. Season 5 would have gone into the Earth-Romulan war which lead to the formation of the Federation, but unfortunately the series got cancelled.

DougRed4 wrote:
I'm really looking forward to Strange New Worlds, as I very much enjoyed Anson Mount's Pike on Discovery.

Me too. Discovery left the 23rd century for good, but I'm really happy to get back to it, and the Enterprise 1701, with Strange New Worlds. It will reportedly go back to episodic Trek. I'm looking forward to it. Supposedly it will start in 2022.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So of course, the outcome of me publicly announcing on social media that I had completed Star Trek was I was bombarded by nerds who told me I really hadn't because I hadn't watched the modern animated comedy Trek series, Lower Decks. On Star Trek Day this week (the 55th anniversary of the original airing of Star Trek in 1966), my family watched the first episode of Lower Decks to give it a chance. We unanimously hated it. I refuse to waste my time watching a series just because it has "Trek" in the title if it is not canon and I have no interest in it, so screw those nerds. My initial 90s reactions to Voyager and DS9 turned out to be pretty much confirmed by the time I watched them to the ends of the series, so I am learning from my experience. I've been a Trek fan since the mid-80s and I don't need their approval.

In better news, Strange New Worlds, the 23rd century series chronicling the adventures of the Enterprise 1701 under Captain Pike, starts next year. It will have young versions of Uhura and Nurse Chapel in addition to Pike, Number One, and Spock. I'm really excited about it. Picard season 2 comes out next year too, and it will be a Q time-travel story where they save on budget by having to go back to 21st century Earth. Discovery s4 will start this year on November 18th.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same reaction to Lower Decks. I watched the first episode and decided it wasn't for me.

I've since read that it is one of the best Trek series, but I remain unconvinced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: