The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Power: Temptation of the Dark Side
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Power: Temptation of the Dark Side
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Force Power: Temptation of the Dark Side Reply with quote

So, just a sketch right now, but:

Alter Power

Alter Difficulty: Special. Modified by proximity and relationship. Opposed by Control.

Requires that the user be lost to do the Dark Side.

The Dark Side user temporarily gives the target a number of Dark Side points, from 1-6. The power begins at Difficult level, plus 1D per Dark Side Point granted. While the power is kept up, the target will have that number of Dark Side points added to their own (though exceeding 6 Dark Side points in this manner does not automatically cause a fall). The target must either resist the Dark Side influence (reducing their Force skills), or risk the Lure of the Dark Side. The target may roll Control to resist the additional Dark Side influence.

Basically, this works best on young and inexperienced Jedi... boost them up with Dark Side points and make it easier for them to slip away. However, Jedi who are in a vulnerable position might still take advantage of it, and Jedi who are otherwise pure must resist the temptation (and thus make all of their own powers more difficult).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, this should be more than just an Alter power. If you look at how temptation works in the films, there's an obvious verbal battle, where the Dark-Sider uses the Force to probe his opponent's thoughts and emotions and call them out on perceived weaknesses.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
IMO, this should be more than just an Alter power. If you look at how temptation works in the films, there's an obvious verbal battle, where the Dark-Sider uses the Force to probe his opponent's thoughts and emotions and call them out on perceived weaknesses.

Good call. It should also, in that case, have some Sense Prereqs... Receptive Telepathy seems appropriate, which would add Life Sense and Life Detection. Sense opposed by Perception or Control, perhaps?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
It should also, in that case, have some Sense Prereqs... Receptive Telepathy seems appropriate, which would add Life Sense and Life Detection. Sense opposed by Perception or Control, perhaps?

I'm opposed to Perception being the default to resist Force powers unless the power involved specifically affects the target's ability to perceive. For something like keeping control of one's emotions and/or keeping another from reading their thoughts, I'd go with Knowledge/Willpower or Control. After all, one of the things the films make clear is that strength of mind affects how much influence the Force can have over a person, and that's a facet of the Knowledge attribute, not Perception.

Plus, it helps move Knowledge further away from dump-stat territory.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
It should also, in that case, have some Sense Prereqs... Receptive Telepathy seems appropriate, which would add Life Sense and Life Detection. Sense opposed by Perception or Control, perhaps?

I'm opposed to Perception being the default to resist Force powers unless the power involved specifically affects the target's ability to perceive. For something like keeping control of one's emotions and/or keeping another from reading their thoughts, I'd go with Knowledge/Willpower or Control. After all, one of the things the films make clear is that strength of mind affects how much influence the Force can have over a person, and that's a facet of the Knowledge attribute, not Perception.

Plus, it helps move Knowledge further away from dump-stat territory.

I agree, but I got a philosophy, years ago, from a Robotech fansite (the venerable and now-archived Third Invid War):

What we have in common is the rules as written in the books. I write to the books, because if someone (even me) has a house rule that addresses the book's problems, they can apply their house rule, rather than having to grapple with mine.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought...

Maybe rather than giving the target additional DSPs, have the power generate a modifier to the character's DSP roll. Per the RAW, when a character gets a DSP, they roll a D6 and if they roll less than their number of DSPs, they turn to the Dark Side. Maybe have this power generate a -1 modifier to the D6 roll for however many points of success the Sith beats the Difficulty by.

Just thinking that modifiers applied to dice rolls is more in keeping with the theme of the system than giving a character temporary DSPs.

And maybe have it so that the modifier can't be less than 0, so if the character doesn't have any DSPs, they are effectively immune to it?

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with "temporary DSPs" to leverage the existing DSP mechanics... that these temporary DSPs would increase one's Force skills, or force (no pun intended) the Jedi to actively suppress them. Embracing the DSP bonus makes it more likely that you will fall to the Dark Side; rejecting it makes you less effective in using the force.

I worry that a straight modifier to the DSP roll makes it WAY too likely that someone will fall... each -1 would increase the likelihood of falling by ~16%, whereas this leaves the choice about falling still within the control of the Jedi... they can stop using the Force, and thus reduce their vulnerability to the Dark Side, they can use the DSP bonus only for pure purposes (and thus avoid getting more DSP), reduce their effectiveness by rejecting the DSP, or embrace the bonus for less-than-pure purposes and flirt with the Dark Side.

I picture this as somewhat like the Emperor tempting Luke in the Throne Room fight... offering Luke the power of the Dark Side to defeat Vader, but Luke knowing that taking the offered power would make him more vulnerable. Luke first responds by accepting the bonus (and thus takes off Vader's hand through his boosted Lightsaber Combat power), then by not using the Force and saying "I'm not going to kill Vader. I'm not going to fall to the Dark Side."

This falls into my conception of the Force that the Dark Side is not an active entity, but rather a corruption of the Force... that using the Force is convincing the Force to do what you want, while the Dark Side is more or less making it do what you want by "torture". Going to the Dark Side makes the Force "afraid" of you, doing what you want because it knows you will "hurt" it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: