The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Perception Skill: Resist Force Influence
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Perception Skill: Resist Force Influence Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Perception Skill: Resist Force Influence Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I can see it. Heck, when I was teaching, we had yearly updates on gang identification and local slang. It's certainly not going to be a 6D, but it's going to cover some aspects of Streetwise.

Well, yeah, you're going to know some things, but you won't be nearly as good at it as someone who's out there dealing with this stuff IRL on a regular basis.

Also, I recall Whill mentioning that he moved First Aid to Knowledge. That'd be appropriate to what we're talking about, and would fit with an expanded view of Knowledge, too.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Perception Skill: Resist Force Influence Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Also, I recall Whill mentioning that he moved First Aid to Knowledge. That'd be appropriate to what we're talking about, and would fit with an expanded view of Knowledge, too.

Most skills include a "knowledge of..." aspect, so it is easy for some GMs (and game authors) to justify moving skills to Knowledge. I consider what is the most applicable attribute for my concept of what the skill covers. First aid seems to be more general than just using technology and it includes some knowledge of biology/physiology (including outside your own species) which feels out of place in Technical, so I feel the more general Knowledge attribute is most applicable for first aid.

I do concede that I may have tweaked conceptions of some attributes. RAW puts repairing anything in Technical, but I do not. The threshold for me is "modern" (computerized) technologies. I put repairing "archaic" mechanical devices and vehicles (1930s pickup truck) and "primitive" mechanical devices (catapults) under Mechanical along with the sense of direction/spatial awareness/vehicle operation skills (of any tech level). Once an Ewok learned what each item in a medpac does and a little more about life outside of Endor, I can see an Ewok picking up the first aid skill easier than spaceship repair.

I firmly view Perception as personal interaction/influence/social awareness plus physical awareness, as it was in 1e. Willpower is really the only oddball skill there, but it has to go somewhere and IMO it is slightly more applicable there than Knowledge so it gives Perception its own third aspect in my mind. But skills overlap attributes and I moved investigation to Knowledge.

I fully support GMs who develop a philosophy for attributes/skills and move skills accordingly, like different concepts of what Knowledge and Perception should cover. This is much better than the the artificial "put these new skills here to make this attribute more important."
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: