The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Resisting the Force
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Resisting the Force
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Resisting the Force Reply with quote

Perception was an odd choice for resisting Force powers in 1E. Most obviously, there's no rational reason for a power that inflicts physical damage (TK Kill, Force Lightning, etc) to be resisted with Perception and not Strength. The addition of the Willpower skill changed things even further. While Perception may be appropriate for resisting some Force powers, I think many others are better resisted by Strength or Knowledge/Willpower, depending on the specifics of the power. Here's my list of suggested changes:
    Knowledge / Willpower
    Receptive Telepathy
    Sense Force Potential
    Projective Telepathy
    Dim Other's Senses
    Affect Mind
    Control Mind
    Memory Wipe
    Strength
    Injure/Kill
    Force Lightning
    Inflict Pain
    Telekinetic Kill
    Control / None
    Life Detection
    Farseeing
There will be some variability in effectiveness and usability. For example, a non-FS character wouldn't be able to resist, say, Receptive Telepathy if they aren't aware that someone is attempting to read their thoughts. Similarly, a non-FS should have no mechanism (outside of specialized training, such as my Mindshadow Advanced Skill to obscure themselves from the Force.

In fact, it'd be worth coming up with a rule or Force power whereby only characters with dice in Sense (or with more than 0D in a Force Attribute) can even be aware when a Force power is being on used on them, short of the Force user making it obvious.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought the same, re why is perception, the go to skill, for resisting force powers.. However, there are some instances i feel, like you, that maybe a non-force senseitive shouldn't have to resist....
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've often thought the same, re why is perception, the go to skill, for resisting force powers.. However, there are some instances i feel, like you, that maybe a non-force sensitive shouldn't have to resist....

I don't see how, unless they're actually disconnected from the Force in some fashion. The default for a living being is that they're connected to the Force, but can't manipulate or control it, which includes being able to separate or hide themselves from it. I'm okay with an Advanced Skill and/or some rare and exotic tech allowing a non-FS to increase their resistance or make them harder to detect, but not flat out invulnerability / invisibility to the Force.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I've often thought the same, re why is perception, the go to skill, for resisting force powers.. However, there are some instances i feel, like you, that maybe a non-force sensitive shouldn't have to resist....

I don't see how, unless they're actually disconnected from the Force in some fashion. The default for a living being is that they're connected to the Force, but can't manipulate or control it, which includes being able to separate or hide themselves from it. I'm okay with an Advanced Skill and/or some rare and exotic tech allowing a non-FS to increase their resistance or make them harder to detect, but not flat out invulnerability / invisibility to the Force.

Yeah, that would be the Vong way to go. Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Yeah, that would be the Vong way to go. Wink

Laughing

One thing I could see is a power or effect that applies more to Force Sensitives than it does to others, like having the character take Stun Damage equal to their Force Attribute or Sense Skill Dice due to something like the destruction of a planet...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I screwed up the typing of that last bit.. It should have ben, i feel "like you", that maybe there are certain powers that perception on it;s own CAN'T resist, if the person is non-force sensitive"..

That's how it should have came out... But i was finishing off a 12 pack of MGD earlier, so may have been a little tipsy while typing..
Sorry.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it is because WEG was still evolving the attributes - I mean, look at the adjustments of skills, and even attribute revisions in later versions of the game (opend6,d6 space, etc.).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I screwed up the typing of that last bit.. It should have ben, i feel "like you", that maybe there are certain powers that perception on its own CAN'T resist, if the person is non-force sensitive"..

Ah, understood. Yes, the vast majority of people are going to have a connection to the Force that they aren't aware of (beyond, say, an intellectual level) and can't affect. I've made a similar argument for powers like Danger Sense, in that, while a Force User should be able to use Control to obscure themselves from Danger Sense, a non-Force User should NOT be able to do the same with Perception / Willpower.

Quote:
That's how it should have came out... But i was finishing off a 12 pack of MGD earlier, so may have been a little tipsy while typing..
Sorry.

Now I'm just jealous.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
I suspect it is because WEG was still evolving the attributes - I mean, look at the adjustments of skills, and even attribute revisions in later versions of the game (opend6,d6 space, etc.).

I can see that for the Force powers with mental effects, but it just doesn't make sense for the ones that do physical damage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: