The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules on Cortosis?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Rules on Cortosis? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
hmm interesting take.

I thought that the ore deactivated the saber, but did not keep it off. it did do damage, as I remember them saying that it would take a lightsaber 100s of strokes to get through a set of armor (granted is minimal, but it adds up Wink

that why we did the mechanic for it the way we did. Half damage against the armor means it more than likely isn't going to do any real harm but still has a good possibility of doing some damage to the armor itself. The way we viewed it - cortosis armor is designed to slowly sacrifice itself to keep its wearer protected from lightsaber blades. It should be fine that the armor takes some damage so long as the mechanic doesn't make the armor so weak as to make its use not worth the effort to even make it in the first place.

Allowing a single lightsaber strike to still take off a hand even though the blade still got shorted out is ridiculous. Now that's not say it isn't still possible through a number of factors but when the mechanic for the armor makes it look like that's a common occurrence, there's an issue.
sithholocron
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Paul wrote:
The conversions of the D20 Dark Side Sourcebook and the Saga Edition Threats of the Galaxy have the following in them:

Cortosis Weave
Cost to add to armor: 15,000
Deactivates lightsabers*
Difficulty to Add to armor: Heroic Armor Repair
*Cortosis weave damages lightsabers. When a lightsaber strikes and inflicts damage on anyone wearing dark armor with Cortosis weave, roll the lightsaber's body strength (typically 2D) versus the damage rolled against the target, and consult the rules for "Damaged Weapons" on SWD6, page 95. For rules on repairing damaged weapons, see SWD6, page 60.

Cortosis Gauntlets
Model: Imperrial Knight Cortosis Gauntlet
Tyype: Gauntlet
Sccale: Character
Skkill: Melee parry: gauntlet
Cost: 1,500
Avvailability: 3
Game Notes:+1D physical, +2 energy. If a lightsaber blade touches the cortosis gauntley, it is deactivated (though the strike still deals normal damage) and remains inoperative for 2 minutes.

any sources for the D20 conversion book of the Dark Side? all i see in pit downloads is a GG, are those the same? anyone know?

Digital Assets:
support: patreon.com/chipmaps
store: ko-fi.com/chipmaps/shop
social media: instagram.com/chipmaps
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Paul wrote:
The conversions of the D20 Dark Side Sourcebook and the Saga Edition Threats of the Galaxy have the following in them:

Cortosis Weave
Cost to add to armor: 15,000
Deactivates lightsabers*
Difficulty to Add to armor: Heroic Armor Repair
*Cortosis weave damages lightsabers. When a lightsaber strikes and inflicts damage on anyone wearing dark armor with Cortosis weave, roll the lightsaber's body strength (typically 2D) versus the damage rolled against the target, and consult the rules for "Damaged Weapons" on SWD6, page 95. For rules on repairing damaged weapons, see SWD6, page 60.

Wow, I must have missed this at some point. I do believe that I shall be doing some version of this from this point forward. Cheers!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sithholocron wrote:
any sources for the D20 conversion book of the Dark Side? all i see in pit downloads is a GG, are those the same? anyone know?

No, they are not the same. The Galaxy Guide is a full-on fanbook devoted to the Dark Side of the EU. The conversion "book" is just a collection of stat conversions of the d20 book. See the link below for the d20 book conversions.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090129195552/http://verminary.com/rebellion/darkside.html
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, those stats seem...off to me. Every instance I can recall in the EU where cortosis is encountered, it shuts the lightsaber off on contact, but the saber can almost immediately be turned back on. IMO, the best representation of this would be saying that the Jedi can't use his lightsaber for the rest of the round, or that he can attempt to do a fast reactivation, but takes a -1D MAP for turning the lightsaber back on.

Cortosis could be used to make an alloy that was lightsaber resistant, but lacked the shut-down ability.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Beskar lightsaber-resistant? (Or is it plot-resistant?) What are those staffs those Grievous guard-droids made out of?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Isn't Beskar lightsaber-resistant? (Or is it plot-resistant?) What are those staffs those Grievous guard-droids made out of?

IIRC, those staffs were made of Phrik. The three metals that can resist lightsabers are Phrik, Beskar and Cortosis Alloy.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canonically, beskar is lightsaber resistant; you can see that in both Rebels and season 2 of the Mandalorian.

The MagnaGuards electrostaves were made of phrik.

Phrik.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

While folks in the EU (i.e. wookiepedia) had made them out of phirk - if you watch fairly closely - in various combat scenes (especially in the clone wars animated) it appears more to be a function of the energy emanating out of the ends which hold a charge.

I suspect more the intention when created (i.e. as a plot device - we need a weapon that can parry lightsabers) they went with it sort of being a "shielded" staff so to speak.

regarding this comment from wookiepedia:
"Grievous soon destroyed the staff with his sabers by cutting off both ends of it. It is unconfirmed whether he hit weak points on the staff or if this was a continuity error."

No error in my opinion - grevious just hit the area that was not part of energy portion of the weapon - similar to a jedi striking the lightsaber of another jedi (just re-watched the scene).

Obviously, individual GM's can interpret any way that works for their campaign. (in mine, it is the energy charge - that is why they can't melt them down to make LS resistant armor).
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Canonically, beskar is lightsaber resistant; you can see that in both Rebels and season 2 of the Mandalorian.

Only to a certain point. Darksaber heated pure beskar spear. So with time, the metal would give up eventually.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darklighter79 wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Only to a certain point. Darksaber heated pure beskar spear. So with time, the metal would give up eventually.

Which is why I used the word "resistant" not "proof" or "invulnerable".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: