The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alternate Rules for Specialization
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Alternate Rules for Specialization Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back around to this...

I've never been hugely fond of how a Specialization is effectively cut off from its root skill. By its nature, a specialization is going to have some degree of overlap with the broader skill of which it is part, where an increase in the level of the skill is going to carry over into the specialization. Instead, the RAW method removes this and forcibly separates specialties and skills, forcing them to improve separately

I've proposed a few methods over the years in an attempt to fix this, with this topic containing the versions I prefer. However, both rule variants I've posted so far don't address a core issue, in that, if the Skill and the Specialization are interlinked, the cost (in CPs) to improve the Specialization should increase in direct proportion to the base Skill level. For example, if a character has 4D in Blaster, and (using the flat rate rule in the OP) wishes to improve a Specialization in Blaster: Heavy Blaster Pistols, it costs 10 CP to earn that +2D bonus. However, if the same character has 8D in Blaster, and decides they want to purchase the Heavy Blaster Pistol Specialization (again, per the OP), it costs the same 10 CP. The problem is that the +2D increase from 8D to 10D should require a lot more effort (represented by CP expenditure) than the +2D increase from 4D to 6D.

The alternate method I proposed here has similar issues, in that, while the CP cost does increase, it does so at a rate determined by the Specialization modifier, not the base skill.

After taking some time to mull it over, I believe I have a solution. Put simply, rather than base the CP cost on either a flat modifier or the Specialization dice level, link it to the base Skill level.

Here's what I'm thinking:
    -Rather than having a separate Dice value, all Specializations are expressed as Modifiers to the Base Skill. For example, a character sheet would read as:
      Blaster 4D
      -Heavy Blaster Pistols +1D

-Specializations begin at +1D, and are purchased at 1.5 times the Dice # of the Base Skill (equal to purchasing 3 pips worth of skill at 1/2 the Base Skill), rounded down. For example:
      Tirog has 4D in Blaster, and wishes to Specialize in Heavy Blaster Pistol. 4D = Base CP cost of 4, 4 x 1.5 is 6, so Tirog must spend 6 CP to earn a Heavy Blaster Pistol +1D.

-Specializations are subsequently improved at a rate per pip of 1/2 the Skill Dice of the Base Skill.
      Tirog has 4D in Blaster and +1D in Heavy Blaster Pistols. To improve his Specialization to +1D+1, he must pay 2 CP (1/2 of 4).

-Specializations can be improved a maximum of 2 pips at a time, as opposed to the maximum of +1 for Skills. This represents the Specialization's narrower focus.

-However, the CP Cost to improve in the future is multiplied by the value of the Specialization. For example:
      Much later, Tirog has improved his Blaster Skill to 6D, and his Heavy Blaster Pistol Specialization to +2D. The Base Cost to improve the Specialization is 6 CP per pip, which up to that point would've been divided in half to 3 CP/pip. However, because his Specialization is now at 2D, the base cost is then multiplied by 2, thus costing 6 CP to improve his Specialization to 2D+1.

-Per the standard set in 2R&E (pg. 34), any fractional values are rounded up to the nearest whole number.

Naturally, it behooves the PC to frame his specialization as broadly as possible, since there is no difference in CP cost to improve a specialization in Heavy Blaster Pistols or in DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistols. However, GMs may, at their discretion, award a Familiarity Bonus for a specific piece of equipment that the character uses on a regular basis, which is then stacked with the Skill and any Specializations. For example, Tirog may have Blaster at 5D, with a Specialization in Heavy Blaster Pistols at +1D+1. However, because his pistol of choice is a DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol, the GM awards him a +1 familiarity bonus, so his effective skill level when firing his DL-44 is 6D+2 (5D Base Skill, plus +1D+1 Specialization Modifier, plus +1 Familiarity Bonus).

There's also room to incorporate the Talents rule at GM discretion.

I haven't put a whole lot of thought into how GMs could award Familiarity Bonuses, so if you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Interesting

It is all detailed and well thought out - but honestly, feels like it is getting complicated enough that it would need to be looked up often...

(call it lazy or efficient - but I am on a ruthless quest to normalize and simplify the rules).

The stuff in this thread is good info, and helps with with additional perspective.

WHAT I DID FOR MY GAME

CONCEPTS
In my game, I have segregated the values for the Attribute, Skill and Specialization. When figuring out the bonus - add up the die codes.

Example:
Perception: 2D+1
Forgery: 1D
Forgery(Starship Permits): +1

Skill Bonus when using Forgery: [2D+1] + [1D] = 3D+1.
Skill Bonus when forging starship permits: [2d+1] + [1D] + [+1] = 4D

COSTS:
Improve and existing Skill or Specialization
To raise a skill - it the D in the bonus.
To raise a specialization, it is 1/2 the D in the bonus.

LEARNING NEW SKILLS
These are the same - they are just based on the total bonus.

Differences
Tracking the skill and stat and specialization as their individual die codes is slightly different, honestly easy.

Also, obviously, as they are additive, the specialization goes up as the skill does.

However, I do add in this balance (I have found that specializations can get carried away). A specialization cannot be greater than the parent skill.

All the costs are the same, etc. The idea that adding things up is the same, etc. So it is fairly easy to remember.

(oh, and in character creation, my specializations are 2 for 1, not 3 for 1, so the 2 for 1 mechanic is consistent there = but I give a few more skills in the beginning - it helps keep characters diverse).

Anyway, if someone is already considering being ADDIATIVE for Skill and Specializations - this is just a very simple one more step.

Also, it supports consistency and simplicity in what to remember.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SIDE NOTE:
Why the skills are separated: it helps with a few other house rules I have (like this one) but one big reason, is that occasionally, I find a different stat might be useful for a skill.

Say, Intimidation, which is knowledge.
Here are some examples:

Intimidating someone by mentally messing with them, using logic, etc.
Use with the Knowledge Stat + Intimidation skill.

Intimidating someone by threatening to rip their arms off.
Use with the Strength Stat + Intimidation skill.

Intimidating someone by bluffing or fast talking or trying to confuse them.
Use the Perception Stat. + Intimidation skill.

There are not a ton of examples here - but it works well for those times that another attribute would make sense.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
It is all detailed and well thought out - but honestly, feels like it is getting complicated enough that it would need to be looked up often...

(call it lazy or efficient - but I am on a ruthless quest to normalize and simplify the rules).

I'm okay with retaining somewhat complicated math so long as it's moved to the post-game wrap-up, where players would be calculating their CP expenditures for the next game anyway.

Quote:
In my game, I have segregated the values for the Attribute, Skill and Specialization. When figuring out the bonus - add up the die codes.

In the interests of simplification, perhaps you should put the total in parenthesis after the bonus, thusly:
    Forgery: 1D (3D)
    Forgery(Starship Permits): +1 (3D+1)
In the past (somewhere around here), I've suggested tying CP costs to Skill Modifier (as opposed to Skill + Attribute total), which I can see the logic of. That's not a huge step away from what I posted, so it wouldn't be too hard to incorporate.

Quote:
COSTS:
Improve and existing Skill or Specialization
To raise a skill - it the D in the bonus.
To raise a specialization, it is 1/2 the D in the bonus.

LEARNING NEW SKILLS
These are the same - they are just based on the total bonus.

So what is the cost to raise a skill above Attribute for the first time. Say I have 3D in Dexterity and want to learn to Pickpocket. What's the cost to learn that skill at 3D+1, or 4D?

Quote:
Why the skills are separated: it helps with a few other house rules I have (like this one) but one big reason, is that occasionally, I find a different stat might be useful for a skill.

Makes sense. I went the other way with a conceptual expansion of the scope of Knowledge, so that includes a degree of "presence" and self-confidence. I also have a house rule where a related skill can be used to generate a bonus, so a character with a high Strength or Lifting would get a flat modifier to Intimidation (where applicable) based on their skill level.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the interests of simplification, perhaps you should put the total in parenthesis after the bonus, thusly:
Forgery: 1D (3D)
Forgery(Starship Permits): +1 (3D+1)

Excellent idea on notation sir!

Quote:
So what is the cost to raise a skill above Attribute for the first time. Say I have 3D in Dexterity and want to learn to Pickpocket. What's the cost to learn that skill at 3D+1, or 4D?

Same as normal rules.
Characters can learn a new skill or specialization by paying enough Character Points to advance it one pip above the attribute.

He would pay three character points, and would end up with:
Dexterity: 3D
Pickpocket: +1 (3D+1)

In reality, it is just the same as the normal system - it is really just keeping track of the skill bonus separately.

That, and when you want to determine the cost, use the Skill Bonus (Attribute + Skill) Etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: