The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

AU: WEG Never Loses Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> AU: WEG Never Loses Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: AU: WEG Never Loses Star Wars Reply with quote

So, this is definitely a speculative post, and there are no wrong answers (except garkh's, because, come on, let's be honest1).

So, imagine, for a moment, WEG never lost the Star Wars license. They had some really good blackmail material on George and used it to get a perpetual exclusive license to tabletop RPGs using Star Wars.

What would the system look like today? What edition do you think it would be in? How much of the game rules would be written by CRMcNeill?

1 Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I've seen a certain degree of overlap between several of my own proposals and what WEG published in OpenD6. I can say for certain that the majority of my ideas are either original (to me) or influenced by ideas posted by other members of the fandom over the years, and I only found out that OpenD6 went along parallel lines after-the-fact. Plus, I haven't been privy to discussions on other D6 forums, so I can't say for certain whether or not others have been pursuing similar lines of inquiry.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They become a super monopoly and produce overbloated rulebooks that make your head spin whenever you try to find something specific.

Oddly enough, I'm reminded of a quote:

Harvey Dent wrote:
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a blend or their OpenD6 and savage worlds I suspect, at least mechanics wise.

I also suspect they would eventually add in more narrative elements - after all those folks were very creative - and had tons of narrative content - but games had not yet evolved into too many supporting mechanics yet.

They would have had to completely redo force powers and the dark side stuff, to take newer content into account.

We can see their progression by looking at their later games, then some of the other games which came after.

Ironically - I had given this a lot of thought, as my house rules were becoming so massive, that I am pretty much making a new version....
mshute
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If WEG had a lock on the license, I suspect they would have gotten bought out by someone, probably WOTC. But I'll assume not.

Based on the time spans between the sequels and the prequels, I'd guess we'd be on SW:TRPG 4th Edition. The Core rule book for each new version would be released a month or two before each trilogy to maximize profits. Even non-players would buy up the new core rule books to see what hints could be gleaned before TPM or TFA came out in theaters. And of course they'd have to release movie-specific source books separately from the core rules.

It's been mentioned that Force Powers would be significantly expanded. I'd guess that at some point they become hierarchical—you have to learn to A before you can learn B—similar to the d20 system's Feat trees. There was never anything in the movies to suggest a hierarchy of powers, but it would be a "balancing mechanic.

I think Combat Scales would have been retained through all the version. It would have been expanded to include creatures of different sizes in addition to vehicles.

I'd like to think that the skills, especially the Tech skills, would be streamlined and less specific, at least in one version.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun topic!

I'd like to think that they'd be at least on a 5th Edition by now. My guess is they would have streamlined things, much the way Wizards did with D&D 5e. Retaining the core system but shooting for a 'best of' version (from all previous incarnations) that is perhaps a bit simplified, but fast-paced and still elegant.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally get Grenadier/Simtac wampas, dewbacks, a pack of 3 new poses of Hoth rebels (Leia, General Reikan, a new grunt) a pack of 3 snowtroopers in at least 2 new poses, a blister pack of 3 ewoks armed with bows in at least 2 new poses, 4-LOM, mynocks, a new Tusken Raider sculpt (rifle) packaged with the old one in packs of three, a new jawa sculpt packaged with the old one in packs of three. The list goes on and on and on.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I end up writing for WEG's Star Wars D6 instead of Shadowrun.

Or in addition to. I think I like that idea. Very Happy
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I end up writing for WEG's Star Wars D6 instead of Shadowrun.

Or in addition to. I think I like that idea. Very Happy

Do you just have a hatred for non-cubic dice? Wink
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I've been informed, frequently, that my rules suck, but my fluff rocks.

So, no, the rules aren't my restriction, it's the universe.

That said, Shadowrun's "Krime Katalog" that I've written is selling still, so that's a thing.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
I've been informed, frequently, that my rules suck, but my fluff rocks.

So, no, the rules aren't my restriction, it's the universe.

That said, Shadowrun's "Krime Katalog" that I've written is selling still, so that's a thing.

I really need to harass my wife to finish the art for my Savage Worlds modern-day mutant animals game, so I can move on to my mutant animals cyberpunk game (adapted from my Shadowrun hack for Savage Worlds)
davidagnome
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope: Third edition and streamlining force powers and lightsaber combat and clearer means to handle different eras of play (Old Republic, High Republic, Clone Wars, Galactic Civil War, New Republic, First Order, Legacy). Non-character point Push, Stress mechanics.

Reality: There'd probably be an official 5e variant.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidagnome wrote:
Hope: Third edition and streamlining force powers and lightsaber combat and clearer means to handle different eras of play (Old Republic, High Republic, Clone Wars, Galactic Civil War, New Republic, First Order, Legacy). Non-character point Push, Stress mechanics.

Reality: There'd probably be an official 5e variant.

Honestly, I think it would look a lot like mythicd6, or maybe savage worlds.

In my 3rd edition - I have streamlined force powers and lightsaber combat, non-character point skill "push" and Stress & Fatigue mechanics...but that is another topic. Wink

Speaking of "clearer means to handle different eras of play"

I am working on that section - and have a lot done already - but... always interested in that thoughts of others...

To put it more directly regarding the main topic - a thrid edition - what would clearer means to handle different eras of play cover?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: