The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Special Skills and Unspecial People
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Special Skills and Unspecial People
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Special Skills and Unspecial People Reply with quote

So, Ewoks have three special skills... Thrown Weapons, Glider, and Primitive Construction. Ithorians have two... Agriculture and Ecology.

If I'm a human character, can I use these? If I want to do some Ecology-like investigations, would I use base Knowledge? Science? Planetary Systems? If I'm stuck on an alien planet in just my boxer shorts, what skill would I use to make a hut, or start a garden?
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the ecology, that is scholar in my opinion.

The other I would use survival.

Heck, would make a specialization Primitivize shelters.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Special Skills and Unspecial People Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, Ewoks have three special skills... Thrown Weapons, Glider, and Primitive Construction. Ithorians have two... Agriculture and Ecology.

If I'm a human character, can I use these? If I want to do some Ecology-like investigations, would I use base Knowledge? Science? Planetary Systems? If I'm stuck on an alien planet in just my boxer shorts, what skill would I use to make a hut, or start a garden?

R&E p. 212 says they are unique or specialized skills that are common for the species, but they are not skill specializations. Unless they have the (A) in front of them in the description, they are not advanced skills. Non-advanced special skills may be attempted by non-species members at base attribute per the normal skill rules, the same as species members who don't happen to have those skills.

The example Ewok and Ithorian skills above would not be unique, or really even uncommon in the galaxy as a whole. They would just be uncommon for PCs to have.

MrNexx wrote:
If I want to do some Ecology-like investigations, would I use base Knowledge? Science? Planetary Systems?

If it falls under the specific focus of the what the ecology description says it does, then a character without the skill could attempt that at base Knowledge. If it is broader ecology-like investigation, it may fall under other skills such as planetary systems or survival, which would also default to Knowledge.

MrNexx wrote:
If I'm stuck on an alien planet in just my boxer shorts, what skill would I use to make a hut

Under RAW, you would use primitive construction or default to Technical. I personally moved primitive construction to Mechanical (which I see as including technical-type abilities of an archaic or primitive nature).

MrNexx wrote:
what skill would I use to... start a garden?

You would use agriculture, or default to Knowledge.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Special Skills and Unspecial People Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

Both agriculture and ecology, i'd see as fields of scholar. Glider would be its own skill under mech, primitive constructions would be under engineering.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that primitive construction thing has me a little unsure.

Toddlers learn the essential principles of primitive construction playing with blocks. By the time a character is a PC, most will have enough common knowledge to build a mud hut and know whether it will last minutes or hours or days based on how "strong" they make it.

Seems like a low diffoculty knowledge roll (or maybe even no roll at all) should allow for any character to build a primitive structure that lasts, say, 5D to 10D hours, with modifiers for weather or other environmental factors.

Building something that will stand up to inclimate weather and harsh elements should certainly fall under engineering, IMO (even the primitive stuff: just make a base skill "construction" with a specialization of "primitive" which can serve as a prereq for (A) engineering, but only for engineering primitive structures).
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules of Engagement also has the SpecForce gliders which have small repulsorlift engines in them and they use the Repulsorlift Operations skill, if I'm not mistaken.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Rules of Engagement also has the SpecForce gliders which have small repulsorlift engines in them and they use the Repulsorlift Operations skill, if I'm not mistaken.

My character in the sparks realm bought a dozen of those gliders, FOR our spec force troops.. Kept two himself, and gave the other ten to the quartermaster's office..
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Yeah, that primitive construction thing has me a little unsure.

Toddlers learn the essential principles of primitive construction playing with blocks. By the time a character is a PC, most will have enough common knowledge to build a mud hut and know whether it will last minutes or hours or days based on how "strong" they make it.

Seems like a low diffoculty knowledge roll (or maybe even no roll at all) should allow for any character to build a primitive structure that lasts, say, 5D to 10D hours, with modifiers for weather or other environmental factors.

Building something that will stand up to inclimate weather and harsh elements should certainly fall under engineering, IMO (even the primitive stuff: just make a base skill "construction" with a specialization of "primitive" which can serve as a prereq for (A) engineering, but only for engineering primitive structures).

I apologize for necroposting, but needed to make a few notes on this.
I am pretty good with Blocks, legos, erector sets, Capsella, Construx, those funny string and stick polyhedrons often decorating smart peoples rooms or houses... but I couldn't build a tree fort, or a rope bridge. I only barely remember the steps and concepts of building a lean-to and this was taught every year I went to summer camp.

I believe that the "Primitive Construction" special skill is less for mud huts, and more for the intricate wood platforms, huts, and bridges seen in the Ewok village, and possibly the catapults, traps, and pitfalls. I also think it is not just meant to reflect material of construction, but that it is being done with primitive tools - in some cases those tools may need to be fashioned first. This is something your average citizen in a space faring galaxy with droids and repulsorlifts and lifter loaders is not going to be able to do easily.

"Ok, We need a bridge. We can make one with some trees and some synthrope. Hand me the plasma cutter and I'll get to work. What's this... a sharpened stone tied to a stick? What am I supposed to do with this?"

Last edited by KageRyu on Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets look at Endor and the Ewoks since they were the start of this thread.

yes they have these uniques skills, but what are these skills actually.

lets look at the glider and they have machines, but they have machines made from wood and stone and hide, as in low level technology.

I know how to build a mud hut and play with blocks or rocks when I was a child, does me growing up make me able to make a house requiring several floors, tools more advanced than a stone and bone, or would I have to learn to use these unknown to me tools.

As to the glider, the primitive contruction etc etc then what we have are "woodern" machinery mirroring some of the advanced technology.

Thrown weapons here is basically their sling weapons, and is of course not unique to them but it is to them a unique version of the skill since they can not throw a vibro dagger that they do know about, but once familiar they will of course be able to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: