The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Concerning Buzz Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Concerning Buzz Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Concerning Buzz Droids Reply with quote

In Squadrons, one of the support options is a Supply Droid; target a friendly vessel and launch the droid, and it rearms and refuels the target ship. I think rearming (especially of missiles) is a bit too complex a task for the D6 setting, but it is a very Star Wars take on in-flight refueling. I was musing about other possible uses, and an obvious one is loading a supply droid with a half dozen compact repair droids, which can be deployed onto a damaged ship to assist with repairs. The similarity to buzz droids is obvious, even if they'd be doing the exact opposite.

That got me thinking about the origin of Buzz Droids. Frankly, having a Buzz Droid be a repair droid repurposed as a sabotage weapon (which, from a stats perspective, they would need a high Tech and a lot of tools to perform either task) makes more sense than having them be purpose-built as weapons. It also fits the larger Trade Federation pattern of repurposing civilian craft (like the B-1 Battle Droid and the Lucrehulk Carrier) as weapons of war.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Concerning Buzz Droids Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In Squadrons, one of the support options is a Supply Droid; target a friendly vessel and launch the droid, and it rearms and refuels the target ship. I think rearming (especially of missiles) is a bit too complex a task for the D6 setting, but it is a very Star Wars take on in-flight refueling. I was musing about other possible uses, and an obvious one is loading a supply droid with a half dozen compact repair droids, which can be deployed onto a damaged ship to assist with repairs. The similarity to buzz droids is obvious, even if they'd be doing the exact opposite.

That got me thinking about the origin of Buzz Droids. Frankly, having a Buzz Droid be a repair droid repurposed as a sabotage weapon (which, from a stats perspective, they would need a high Tech and a lot of tools to perform either task) makes more sense than having them be purpose-built as weapons. It also fits the larger Trade Federation pattern of repurposing civilian craft (like the B-1 Battle Droid and the Lucrehulk Carrier) as weapons of war.

Thoughts?

Works for me. You might also have the original be less a "ship droid and repair droids" and more of a distributed droid (similar to the B-1 Battle Droids). The larger droid is the droid brain for the smaller droids.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Concerning Buzz Droids Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
You might also have the original be less a "ship droid and repair droids" and more of a distributed droid (similar to the B-1 Battle Droids). The larger droid is the droid brain for the smaller droids.

Having them be designed as repair droids make it a lot easier to repurpose them as sabotage droids, since they'll already be equipped with all the tools they need to do their job, just that they'll be breaking things instead of fixing them. Having them be distributed "hive mind" would work, too, since it would allow multiple droids to automatically coordinate on repair/sabotage tasks. Maybe they could coordinate on their own in small groups, but would need to interface with a ship's computer for larger, more complex jobs...

SWRPGGM
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a space based droid that did resupply for missiles, but I would have it only able to load two at a time before having to return to the ship for another two missiles. The ship would be very vulnerable and would have to be along side the supply ship at the same speed. It should really be seen as not optimal, but necessary.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWRPGGM wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a space based droid that did resupply for missiles, but I would have it only able to load two at a time before having to return to the ship for another two missiles. The ship would be very vulnerable and would have to be along side the supply ship at the same speed. It should really be seen as not optimal, but necessary.

I'd probably limit that to a non-combat setting, like a deep-space rendezvous with a supply freighter somewhere away from enemy interference.

RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the combat utility vehicle from TIE Fighter making excellent use of your repair version of buzz droids working in conjunction with SRT or XLT-014 cargo droids to quickly repair fighters while the latter restock ordnance stores.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing reaaaaaaallly needs a facelift, though...

Apart from that, it seems well suited for the mission.

RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That thing reaaaaaaallly needs a facelift, though...

You're not wrong. X-Wing Alliance Upgrade tweeked it, but it's still very blocky. -> Link
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that, or go the Squadrons route and have support and resupply handled by TIE Reapers on the Imperial side and U-Wings on the Alliance side (although I prefer going the WEG route and having that handled by modded YT-1300s).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: