The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG ship stat conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> FFG ship stat conversion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple different ideas for the magic crystal tractor beam projectors that the Starhawk appears to be centered around. While the "official" story of the tractor beams on a Starhawk being able to drag an Executor-Class out of orbit when both ships' drives were disabled, I just can't bring myself to take it seriously. However, I did come up with one concept that sort of works, so here's the two avenues I'm looking at:
    1) One way to make the tractor beam projector function as described in the lore is to make these particular tractor beams have a secondary effect above and beyond the standard tractor beam. In this case, I'm thinking of including a graviton stream effect, where the tractor beam transmits a continuous stream of gravitons into the target vessel, thus increasing its effective mass, which decreases (and ultimately stops, if applied for long enough) the target ship's ability to move on its own. This is particularly hazardous when in close proximity to other large objects, as the increased gravitic effect will increase the pull of gravity between the two, potentially resulting in an impact.

2) This one's a bit more conventional, and adds an Ionization effect to the tractor beam, so that every round the target is caught in the tractor beams, the ship takes ionization damage. This could either be a required effect, or could be shut off at the gunner's command.
Either way, based on my read of the Starhawk I and Starhawk II's Armada stats, the Starhawk I is an ordnance heavy ship, with a lot of missile launchers of various sizes. However, the Starhawk II almost completely deletes the heavy missile launchers in favor of energy cannon.

Based on that info, plus my above theory about the Nadiri Dockyards being a Verpine company, my theory about the Starhawk is that the initial Starhawk I took something of a one-trick-bantha approach to its specialty weaponry, using its specialty bow tractor beams to snag a target and immobilize or disable it (depending on which one I go with), then bombarding it with missiles at close range. While this worked well in one-on-one duels, it left the Starhawk I vulnerable in a larger fleet action where unengaged enemy ships could take advantage of the ship's relative immobility while it went hammer-and-tongs against its selected target. As such, the New Republic requested an updated version of the Starhawk that took a more conventional approach, exchanging the heavy tractor beams and missile launchers for a larger compliment of turbolasers and heavy ion cannon, better suited for use as a multi-role combatant.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update: I poached the Tachyon Lance from my Dreadnought crossover Artillery Cruiser and added it as an experimental "space sniper" weapon option for an advanced variant of the Onager.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I've been mulling this one over for quite a bit, but I ultimately decided to go with Option 2 of the above post, with an additional twist in that the tractor beam keeps the ionization effect from dissipating as rapidly as it would with a normal ionization attack, so that it slowly builds and builds, eventually wearing down the ship's shields and leaving it open for a killing blow from the Starhawk's heavy warhead launchers.

I haven't got it quite written up how I'd like, but I'm going to go ahead and post it, then work on the rest tomorrow.

So, without further ado, here is the...

Starhawk I-Class Battleship

The Starhawk is the newest capital ship in service with the Alliance, joining the fleet less than a year after the Battle of Endor. Designed and built by Nadiri Dockyards - a fledgling Verpine corporation in the Verpine colony system of Nadiri - the Starhawk is unique in that it was not designed from the keel out as with most capital warships, and is instead built almost entirely from components of Imperial Star Destroyers, recombined into a new and unique form. In the process, Nadiri's engineers managed to eliminate many known design flaws of the Imperial class, and assemble a vessel that is demonstrably superior to the Imperial in almost every respect (the Imperial is slightly faster), from weapons suite to troop and small craft capacity.

One of the Starhawk's most unique traits is its experimental main weapon system: a bow-mounted magnite tractor beam array. A rare crystaline material found in the Nadiri system, magnite was discovered to have unique properties when used as a component in tractor beams. In addition to drastically increasing the beam's power, it also generates an ionization effect that is contained within the beam's area of effect, dissipating at a much slower rate than that of standard ion cannon. In combat, the Starhawk locks onto its prey with the beam and gradually renders it helpless under ever increasing levels of ionization, until it is completely helpless, at which point the Starhawk pummels it into dust with its powerful clusters of missile and torpedo launch tubes. Multiple Starhawks can work together to disable and destroy targets many times their own size vis cooperative tactics.

Unfortunately, this tactic renders the Starhawk vulnerable in fleet engagements, where its relative immobility while locked onto a target makes it a sitting duck for other craft attacking its flanks and rear. Also, the New Republic has requested a more energy-cannon-intensive design that exchanges the heavy, volume-intensive warhead launchers for a more powerful energy cannon armament, the main impetus being that energy weapons store their ammunition more efficiently than warheads, thus affording the ship greater range and combat endurance at the cost of somewhat lower peak damage output.

Craft: Nadiri Dockyards' Starhawk I-Class
Type: Battleship
Scale: Destroyer (+12D)
Length: 2,400 meters
Skill: Capital Ship Piloting: Starhawk
Crew: 33,650 (4,000 @ +10) & 709 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 4D
Gunnery 4D+2
Piloting 5D+1
Shields 4D+1
Sensors 4D
Passengers: 7,200 (troops)
Small Craft Complement:
--72 Starfighters (6 Squadrons)
--200 (approximate) other craft, including shuttles, blastboats, landing barges, utility craft, etc.)
Cargo Capacity: 42,000 metric tons
Consumables: 4 years
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1.5
Hyperdrive Backup: x10
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 5 (2D+2 Flight)
Atmosphere: 295; 850 kph
Hull: 9D+1
Shields: 4D
Sensors:
Passive 50/1D
Scan 100/3D
Search 200/4D
Focus 6/5D
Weapons:
24 Heavy Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: 10 Front, 6 Left, 6 Right, 2 Rear
Crew: 5
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 3-15/35/75
--Orbital: 6km-30km/70km/150km
--Atmosphere: 300m-1.5km/3.5km/7.5km
Rate of Fire: 1/2
Damage: 8D
12 Heavy Ion Cannon
Fire Arc: 6 Front, 3 Left, 3 Right
Crew: 4
Range:
--Space: 1-10/25/50
--Orbital: 2km-20km/50km/100km
--Atmosphere: 100m-1km/2.5km/5km
Damage: 6D (ionization)
12 Heavy Missile Launchers
Fire Arc: 8 Front, 2 Left, 2 Right
Scale: Destroyer (+12D)
Crew: 3
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
--Space: 2-12/30/60
--Orbital: 4km-24km/60km/120km
--Atmosphere: 200m-1.2km/3km/6km
Rate of Fire: 1/3
72 Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: 16 Front, 20 Left, 20 Right, 16 Rear
Scale: Frigate (+10D)
Fire Control: 4D
Range:
--Space: 2-10/25/50
--Orbital: 4km-20km/50km/100km
--Atmosphere: 200m-1km/2.5km/5km
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: 6D
36 Ion Cannon
Fire Arc: 8 Front, 10 Left, 10 Right, 8 Rear
Crew: 2
Range:
--Space: 1-7/17/35
--Orbital: 2km-14km/34km/70km
--Atmosphere: 100m-700m/1.7km/3.5km
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: 4D (ionization)
32 Missile Launchers
Fire Arc: 10 Front, 8 Left, 8 Right, 6 Rear
Range:
--Space: 1-8/20/40
--Orbital: 2km-16km/20km/80km
--Atmosphere: 100m-800m/2km/4km
40 Laser Batteries
Fire Arc: 10 Front, 10 Left, 10 Right, 10 Rear
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 7D
Magnite Tractor Beam Array
Fire Arc: Front
Scale: Special*
Crew: 25
Range:
--Space: 2-10/20/40
--Orbital: 2km-20km/40km/80km
--Atmosphere: 100m-1km/2km/4km
Rate of Fire: 1 (Full Round)
Damage: 9D + 8D Ionization
Special: Ionization damage increases the more consecutive rounds the tractor beam lock is held:
    1 Round = +0D
    2 Rounds = +1D
    3 Rounds = +1D+2
    4 Rounds = +2D
    5 Rounds = +2D+1
    6 Rounds = +2D+2
    7 Rounds = +2D+2
    8 Rounds = +3D
In addition, any ionization damage inflicted by the array rolls off at -1 pip per round, not -1D per round.
*May switch between Destroyer (+12D) and Frigate (+10D). Switch takes one round, during which the projector can not be used.
12 Tractor Beam Projectors
Fire Arc: 4 Front, 4 Left, 4 Right
Scale: Special*
Range:
--Space: 1-5/15/30
--Orbital: 2km-10km/30km/60km
--Atmosphere: 100m-500m/1.5km/3km
Rate of Fire: 1 (Full Round)
Damage: 6D
*May switch between Destroyer (+12D), Frigate (+10D) and Starship (+6D). Switch takes one round, during which the projector can not be used.

House Rule Notes:
    COMMAND DIFFICULTY MODIFIER: +17
    SHIELDS & SHIELD CONTROL DICE: 4D @ 3D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 1D+1 Flight
    BATTERY DICE:
      Heavy Turbolaser Batteries: 3D Front, 2D+1 Left, 2D+1 Right
      Heavy Ion Cannon: 2D+1 Front, 1D+2 Left, 1D+2 Right
      Heavy Missile Launchers: 3D Front, 1D+2 Left, 1D+2 Right
      Turbolaser Batteries: 4D Front, 4D Left, 4D Right, 4D Rear
      Ion Cannon: 3D Front, 3D Left, 3D Right, 3D Rear
      Missile Launchers: 3D Front, 3D Left, 3D Right, 2D+1 Rear
      Laser Batteries 3D Front, 3D Left, 3D Right, 3D Rear
      Magnite Tractor Beam Array 0D Front
      Tractor Beam Projectors 2D Left, 2D Right, 2D Rear

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enemies stay away from that!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some consideration, I've decided to redesignate the Onager as a Star Monitor, rather than a Star Destroyer. The official definition for a monitor is "a relatively small warship which is neither fast nor strongly armored but carries disproportionately large guns." The Onager doesn't tick all those boxes, but it is relatively fragile, and is basically built around its massive main guns. Add to that the fact that its armament and carrier capacity is mainly defensive in nature, which is distinct from the multi-role battleship/carrier/transport capability of most star destroyers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: