The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Do soak rolls decrease by consecutive shots in a round?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Do soak rolls decrease by consecutive shots in a round?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Do soak rolls decrease by consecutive shots in a round? Reply with quote

in a conversation about high powered characters on facebook, someone made this comment;

According to the faq from the gamemasters screen update to the 2nd ed revised ruleset.
Degrading resistance applies to consecutive hits in a round to species as well at a penalty of 1d per successful hit in a single round.
Following rounds reset the resistance.

From the screen with Boba Fett and inside the FAQ that came with it was the updates. It was like 4 pages.

IF this is the case - this would be a very big deal.

Anyone know;

1 - Are successive damage resistance rolls get lower in a round?
2 - Is there an official R&E Faq that came with the GM screen?

If it is not a verifiable does anyone house rule it?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Do soak rolls decrease by consecutive shots in a round? Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
in a conversation about high powered characters on facebook, someone made this comment;

According to the faq from the gamemasters screen update to the 2nd ed revised ruleset.
Degrading resistance applies to consecutive hits in a round to species as well at a penalty of 1d per successful hit in a single round.
Following rounds reset the resistance.

From the screen with Boba Fett and inside the FAQ that came with it was the updates. It was like 4 pages.

IF this is the case - this would be a very big deal.

Anyone know;

1 - Are successive damage resistance rolls get lower in a round?
2 - Is there an official R&E Faq that came with the GM screen?

If it is not a verifiable does anyone house rule it?

I just found and read that exchange. I bought mine sealed brand new when it first came out, and there was no such 4-page FAQ insert. So unlike you in that thread, I am calling him a liar, or at least a spreader of false memories.

There was a 4-page insert with pre-Rules_Companion 1e products that served as the games first Rules Upgrade. But that was for 1e and it had nothing like what he was saying.

And something like what he is describing would not be an FAQ, because FAQs are clarifications. That would be a rules upgrade or at least an "optional rule" because this directly opposes an explicit rule in the R&E Free Actions section on p.80:

Quote:
A character always rolls his full Strength to resist damage (even if wounded)

"Always" was even the book's emphasis, not mine.

He could believe what he says so maybe isn't lying. A phenomenon I've noticed in the fandom of this game is that GMs house rule things and play with them for so long that they sometimes forget it was a house rule. Among GMs I have an above average grasp of RAW, but even I did this at least in one respect. At some point after D6 Space came out in 2004, Grimace told me he adopted one of its Initiative options, and then I adopted it and later misremembered that as SW R&E RAW. I had posts here where I referred to my way of doing it as RAW, and no one corrected me. Years later I realized my RAW misquote error and posted about it.

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but the thing that is suspect here is that he was so specific about the origin of this supposed rules change, a 4-page insert in a specific book that simply does not exist. I replied in that thread and repeated your request for him to scan the insert and share it so we can see it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him to give us proof.. SCAN IT AND SHOW IT..

That said, it would help eliminate the whole 'bulletproof wookie' issue.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to assuming something is a mistake before maliciousness - especially given the context. (we are talking a game about spaceships not in divorce court settling an estate).

It would however change a lot - so I do want to know what is up.
I suspect it is either something from another game, or a fan product or what ever.

Now in regards to garhkal comment about wookies - ironically - that was the exact content the comment was about.

Now, as I don't want to derail THIS thread, I may start another in house rules on understanding how various GM's handle that ... (I have my way, but curious as to others).
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
I am going to assuming something is a mistake before maliciousness - especially given the context. (we are talking a game about spaceships not in divorce court settling an estate).

It would however change a lot - so I do want to know what is up.
I suspect it is either something from another game, or a fan product or what ever.

It's probably a house rule he was a player under, and he is misremembering the origin of it. Maybe it is even just some BS someone else told him and he believed it, so he is repeating it. Like I said, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I can't help but frown upon careless inaccuracy. Some people don't try very hard to be factual. I'm man enough to admit when I was incorrect about something and have publicly done it on this forum several times (even years later), but I try to not be incorrect very often. When I was a kid and the internet wasn't a public thing yet, it was foretold to be the dawning of the Information Age. Those idealistic people didn't see that it is just as easy (if not easier) to spread misinformation.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why i want to see a scan of it, before i call foul..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be a case of applying <MAP> to the Damage Resistance rolle on multiple hits/rolls?
If that is the case I, then this is a misunderstanding of the MAP and combat rules I would think
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That would be a rules upgrade or at least an "optional rule" because this directly opposes an explicit rule in the R&E Free Actions section on p.80:

Quote:
A character always rolls his full Strength to resist damage (even if wounded)

"Always" was even the book's emphasis, not mine.

Mamatried wrote:
Could this be a case of applying <MAP> to the Damage Resistance rolle on multiple hits/rolls?
If that is the case I, then this is a misunderstanding of the MAP and combat rules I would think

It's not really a MAP because if it was, all actions would affect all Damage Resistance rolls starting with the first one in a round. The stated penalty was only for DR rolls after the first one, and successively got worse with each one. Yikes! Sounds like a very specific house rule.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
sithholocron
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was the case, my entire would have died last Thursday. But to be honest, I think that would actually be a cool optional rule. as to me at least it would make sense and add to the drama of a scene if you know you're hurt, and you get hurt again, and it just gets worse.

But as a rule upgrade that would be actually the worst, and not very heroic.. even if you are scum. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Digital Assets:
support: patreon.com/chipmaps
store: ko-fi.com/chipmaps/shop
social media: instagram.com/chipmaps
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to implement a system like this, I'd probably go with something along the lines of the Armor Damage Rules (pg. 95, 2R&E):
    Wound Level = Penalty to Strength when Resisting Damage
    Stunned = No Penalty
    Wounded = -1
    Wounded Twice = -2
    Incapacitated = -1D
    Mortally Wounded = -2D
It represents the basic concept well without the penalties becoming egregiously punitive at low levels.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AN give that option to the PC's to use or not. BUT IF ITS USED, it impacts all folks, NOT just NPCS
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth applying to a modified Ship/Vehicle Damage Chart, too. Might help to explain why the tripped AT-AT in ESB blew up when it got strafed by an airspeeder. Up to that point, the walkers had been pretty much immune to blaster fire from the T-47s, but a -2D penalty to soak (assuming the face-planted AT-AT was Severely Damaged) combined with no ability to dodge and something like the RoE Accuracy Damage rules could potentially make up the difference.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Might be worth applying to a modified Ship/Vehicle Damage Chart, too. Might help to explain why the tripped AT-AT in ESB blew up when it got strafed by an airspeeder. Up to that point, the walkers had been pretty much immune to blaster fire from the T-47s, but a -2D penalty to soak (assuming the face-planted AT-AT was Severely Damaged) combined with no ability to dodge and something like the RoE Accuracy Damage rules could potentially make up the difference.

Good call. May also explain why that atat modified in Rogue one blew up, when it 'hit the deck' after getting "Knee capped"///
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Might be worth applying to a modified Ship/Vehicle Damage Chart, too.

Good call.

So, thusly...
    Damage Level = Penalty to Strength when Resisting Damage
    Shields Blown / Controls Ionized = No Penalty
    Lightly Damaged = -1 per result
    Heavily Damaged = -1D
    Severely Damaged = -2D
Quote:
May also explain why that atat modified in Rogue one blew up, when it 'hit the deck' after getting "Knee capped"///

Alternately, that could be the result of a catastrophic failure on a Movement roll. I recently suggested requiring characters/vehicles make a Move Check in reaction to taking a hit, even if it doesn't inflict damage, modified by the level of damage inflicted. I also have a house rule for weapons that inflict Movement Damage, which sort of applies, too.

Theoretically, I'd say AT-ACT takes Heavy/Severe Damage, fails its Move check badly, suffers either the Collision or Major Collision result from the Vehicle Movement Failure chart, and is Destroyed.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could also work...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: