The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber damage question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Lightsaber damage question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Lightsaber damage question Reply with quote

I Was going through some books and some of my notes, and I came across that lightsabers ignore armor and that they basically ignore "hardness" in objects.

This made me wonder if lightsbers are the exception to the "scale" rules, and that a lightsaber deal 5D to a captal ship, if you try chop you way inside, and it equally does 5D damage to the walker hatch you try to cut open, and it equally does 5D damage to the poor pirate that attacked you.

Basically a lightsaber does 5D damage regardless of the size of the target, where as a heavy blaster 5D, will do "only" 3D to a speeder size object

am I right about this, scale doe not impact lightsabe damage?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which book did you see it mention "lightsabers ignore hardness/armor'?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure there was a direct referance somewhere that a character only used strength, not strenght+armor to defend against lightsabers. but I could be wrong.
The flush text about lightsabers state the very few materials that are sesistant to lightsabers, and states that it cuts through most materials save so and so, and this sis the only melee weapon starting it can cut through "anything".
Pg: 348. 2ed reup
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like this is addressed by the Force-user adding control to damage. It makes armor pretty much moot.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lightsabers ignore armor was common in d20 I think.
They had an armor DR (damage resistance) and LS could ignore it.
Phirk and cortosis had a DR which a a lightsaber did not ignore.

IN D6 we have armor that segregates physical vs. energy (i.e. hot plasma) damage. Therefore, I don't think lightsabers should ignore that.
They are already amazingly powerful.

But each to their own.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber damage question Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I Was going through some books and some of my notes, and I came across that lightsabers ignore armor and that they basically ignore "hardness" in objects.
pakman wrote:
The lightsabers ignore armor was common in d20 I think.
They had an armor DR (damage resistance) and LS could ignore it.

Confirmed, Saga Core p.119. Thanks, pak! Yes, let's please not confuse D6 with d20.

pakman wrote:
IN D6 we have armor that segregates physical vs. energy (i.e. hot plasma) damage. Therefore, I don't think lightsabers should ignore that.
They are already amazingly powerful.

Agreed. It makes more sense in d20 because the mechanics are different. It is a completely different system.

Mamatried wrote:
This made me wonder if lightsbers are the exception to the "scale" rules, and that a lightsaber deal 5D to a captal ship, if you try chop you way inside, and it equally does 5D damage to the walker hatch you try to cut open, and it equally does 5D damage to the poor pirate that attacked you.

Basically a lightsaber does 5D damage regardless of the size of the target, where as a heavy blaster 5D, will do "only" 3D to a speeder size object

There is no such rule about lightsaber damage ignoring scale. A house rule like that would seem to jive if your game is based on the reality of Star Wars Rebels, but I wouldn't recommend that for any weapon in any GM's game because that would mean the lightsabers have extremely variable damage based on what they are attacking. It wouldn't make sense for a lightsaber to ever not slice characters and low scale things in half if it can cut through a star destroyer outer hull like butter.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber damage question Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

When you use a lightsaber to get to the ship, you do not roll the damage against whole superstructure, as there's no attempt do damage drive, weapons or other systems as during regular combat. You just roll against a small hatch/ blast doors/ window - there will be no controls ionized or any other effect for the ship. Thus, no scale rule should be applied. Just as Grevious did not roll against cruiser hull while breaking the window.

parkman wrote:

The same is in d20. Sabers do not ignore "hardness" that comes from energy (shields ect.)
lecher000
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber damage question Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

Generally, no, lightsabers do not ignore armor in D6. As for the "chopping your way inside" for a Capital ship's interior or the hatch of a Walker, you wouldn't really have to find any special or unique rules for making it character scale since you could reason that you're not exactly attacking the "walker" per-se, just the hatch itself, or the lock keeping the hatch closed. It doesn't make sense to apply Capital-scale to someone attacking a door.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber damage question Reply with quote

lecher000 wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

Generally, no, lightsabers do not ignore armor in D6. As for the "chopping your way inside" for a Capital ship's interior or the hatch of a Walker, you wouldn't really have to find any special or unique rules for making it character scale since you could reason that you're not exactly attacking the "walker" per-se, just the hatch itself, or the lock keeping the hatch closed. It doesn't make sense to apply Capital-scale to someone attacking a door.

I completely agree, but statements saying to 'ignore scale' apply to combat too, and live action evidence does not support the general premise of that...

Live action–Powerful master with lightsaber vs. multiple internal blast doors: https://youtu.be/3RCYs0N5Wsc?t=109

Animated–Teenage padawan of a padawan with lightsaber vs. outer star destroyer hull: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtVeqFmKSmk&t=112s

I think we will all agree that an outer star destroyer hull should be harder to cut through than multiple inner blast doors. A lightsaber may be able to cut through both eventually, but a star destroyer's outer hull should take longer to cut through from the outside than inner blast doors.

Darklighter79 wrote:
When you use a lightsaber to get to the ship, you do not roll the damage against whole superstructure, as there's no attempt do damage drive, weapons or other systems as during regular combat. You just roll against a small hatch/ blast doors/ window - there will be no controls ionized or any other effect for the ship. Thus, no scale rule should be applied. Just as Grevious did not roll against cruiser hull while breaking the window.

Right, but in cases like this, the GM just comes up with a die code applicable to the situation at hand. Or, there is no die code at all, and the GM just determines how long it will take to cut through a material in a non-combat situation. Applying scale rules is for attacks, yes, but it is never the case that you just throw the scale of something completely out the window. It should be a consideration.

A lightsaber may be able to cut through most any material eventually, but different materials may take different amounts of time.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
lecher000
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber damage question Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I think we will all agree that an outer star destroyer hull should be harder to cut through than multiple inner blast doors. A lightsaber may be able to cut through both eventually, but a star destroyer's outer hull should take longer to cut through from the outside than inner blast doors.

Well I was referring more to the player possibly finding a way in, like through a window or maintenance hatch that engineers might use for space walks to repair the exterior, stuff like that. Cutting through the hull itself would indeed be difficult, and at the very least take a lot of skill and patience in working a lightsaber. If you were a Jedi with a lot of Control points, maybe it might be a little faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: