The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

AD&D Points-Based Character Creation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> AD&D Points-Based Character Creation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: AD&D Points-Based Character Creation Reply with quote

I just posted a 35 page document that I've been working on, intermittently, for 22 years.

I have co-workers who are younger than this project.

https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2021/10/ad-character-creation-by-character.html
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

A lot of info in there, and can tell a lot or work went into it.

One suggestion would be - a bit more organization - and intro.
Obviously, there is a ton of info, and context and use case can be determined by reading - but I would put in a high level summary, and a short intro into each section.

Just a minor thought - does not detract from quality of conent.

thanks again for sharing.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I'll sit down and see what I can do. What do you mean by organization, though? I've been dissatisfied with my naming conventions for several things, but are you wanting sub-divisions (like "here are combat abilities" "here are spell abilities" "here are skills")?
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Nope, I'll sit down and see what I can do. What do you mean by organization, though? I've been dissatisfied with my naming conventions for several things, but are you wanting sub-divisions (like "here are combat abilities" "here are spell abilities" "here are skills")?

Yes, that is exactly it.

Now, as I said - it does not at all distract from content - and content takes forever. your content is awesome, and I wish I was that far along...

However, while the author knows the material - others who have to find stuff need organization to help look stuff up - or just helps with the flow of learning material.

for example;
I am working on a major revision of my d6 rules - so I went and reviewed the contents (table of contents) from all the SW d6 editions, d6 space, d20, ffg, and dnd 5e.

I then went into section chapter/section and looked at how they all presented info, how they organized concepts from introductions to more detail levels, and had sections presented. Like as in what concepts introduced first, or what builds upon what - or how many had a "short" or "basics" or quick start section etc.
(I have an introduction chapter and a player hand out similar to old d6).

I then went and did some research on constructing chapters, word counts and etc. for reference books, and looked at the templates and guide lines for some game publishers.

(yes, pak absolutely over thinks everything......).

Oh, and on this point;
Naming conventions.

Yeah, I am using the concept of Keywords, or specific names for certain concepts of mechanics. D6 is terrible for this (so what is stunned? etc.).
That way, I can include a terminology section as a reference as well.

Anyway, I got way too complex there. But yeah, once you are done, you may want to organize it a bit more with references etc.

Excellent stuff by the way.
I am only about 20% done with mine.....sigh.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:

However, while the author knows the material - others who have to find stuff need organization to help look stuff up - or just helps with the flow of learning material.

Oh, and on this point;
Naming conventions.

Yeah, I am using the concept of Keywords, or specific names for certain concepts of mechanics. D6 is terrible for this (so what is stunned? etc.).
That way, I can include a terminology section as a reference as well.

Oh, I have no clue about this material. Most of it is copied from Spells and Magic, Skills and Powers, or a dozen different Dragon Magazines. I've renamed some things, but seldom consistently; I have ZERO vocabulary control on this, and know I need to do it.

Thank you for the feedback, and I welcome more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: