The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Solo Rules or GM Emulator for SWD6?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Solo Rules or GM Emulator for SWD6?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Solo Rules or GM Emulator for SWD6? Reply with quote

Anyone have Solo Rules, or like a GM emulator, for running a solo game?

I'm not talking about the CYOA Solo Adventures, I'm talking about running normal adventures but using Solo Rules, common sense, and some kind of GM emulator to make decisions.

Any such thing out there, or something that someone here has used with any success?

~Ty
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with Conjecture Game Master Emulator:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/145426/CRGE-Conjectural-Roleplaying-GM-emulator?term=Conjecture

The PDF has always been PWYW, written by Zach Best. It was a good start for me. After a bit, I decided that I wanted a little more... I don't know. So then I switched to Mythic.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/20798/Mythic-Game-Master-Emulator?term=Mythic+GM+Emula

It gives a little be more structure than CRGE. I've had some success using it to run a few of the Instant Adventures.

Hope this helps!!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know such a thing even existed. I'm intrigued to see how they work. But as a 39-year GM, I also feel this anxiety about the idea of something that replaces me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Whill for moving this to a more appropriate forum.

And thanks Raven Redstar for those suggestions!

I've been reading up on Mythic as it was suggested elsewhere to me. You say you use Mythic? Can you explain a little how the Chaos Rank is used? I'm a little confused at the reference.

And I agree with the sentiment Whill, I'm an almost 50 year old GM, but I'm looking to run some things on the side on my own for some characters I want to introduce, to gain them some experience and just didn't want to arbitrarily boost stats (at least not without some story behind them)... Plus, I figure it's some mental exercise for me.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. So you mean, for your normal game that you GM for other players, you were going to introduce some NPCs but first run the characters through GMulator adventures to build up their experience more naturally?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the idea I'm playing around with, plus it allows me to play the character and get a feel for them, prior to introducing, so they'll be more.....real, or at least more fleshed out.....as characters.

It also allows me some mental play time, without it being tied to others (namely my players) and the expectations that brings.

At least that's the theory.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
that's the idea I'm playing around with, plus it allows me to play the character and get a feel for them, prior to introducing, so they'll be more.....real, or at least more fleshed out.....as characters.

It also allows me some mental play time, without it being tied to others (namely my players) and the expectations that brings.

At least that's the theory.

Cool. Please report how it goes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair I've done some solo Rping before in the past, not with SW though.

And it was mainly more free-form, I'm just looking for a little more structure and such, a way to better determine the outcomes of decisions.

Whill wrote:
Cool. Please report how it goes.

we'll see how it goes, it may be a mess, or something worthy of re-iteration... Very Happy
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
Thanks Whill for moving this to a more appropriate forum.

And thanks Raven Redstar for those suggestions!

I've been reading up on Mythic as it was suggested elsewhere to me. You say you use Mythic? Can you explain a little how the Chaos Rank is used? I'm a little confused at the reference.

The Chaos Factor is supposed to represent how out of control things are getting for the character(s). Depending on the genre you're going for, it usually starts in the 3-5 range. The biggest affect that a higher chaos rank gives is more likely for a yes answer. Aside from that, you roll at the beginning of each scene, if you roll below the chaos factor then something happens either altering or interrupting the scene. Also, it plays a roll in doing random events if you roll doubles equal to or less than the chaos factor.

TBH, when you're starting out, just ignore the chaos factor and use the column for CF 5, which gives you even odds, then adjust your question by deciding how likely or unlikely it is.

I hope this helps. Feel free to hit me up on discord or PM if you have any questions in the moment. I'm on the pit's server.
EastCoast
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, not to necro but I use Mythic Emulator (2nd edition that came out last year) both for solo adventuring as well as my favorite tool as a traditional GM. It is a godsend, especially when players decide to "go off the rails". Let me know if you want some examples or if you have any questions. I'm currently running an adventure for myself. The first "movie" just finished (about 12 scenes), I'd be more than happy to take you through the structure and how it works.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EastCoast wrote:
Hey, not to necro but I use Mythic Emulator (2nd edition that came out last year) both for solo adventuring as well as my favorite tool as a traditional GM. It is a godsend, especially when players decide to "go off the rails". Let me know if you want some examples or if you have any questions. I'm currently running an adventure for myself. The first "movie" just finished (about 12 scenes), I'd be more than happy to take you through the structure and how it works.

I just got the prior edition in late 2021 but haven't read it yet. Please report on ME 1e/2e differences if you have any insight to that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
EastCoast
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I just got the prior edition in late 2021 but haven't read it yet. Please report on ME 1e/2e differences if you have any insight to that.

Sure, the biggest difference is there is just *more*. More examples of how to use the emulator. There are more meaning tables, more variants.

It now comes with a built in UNE (Universal NPC Emulator).

It also has an optional section on using a thread tracker which is very similar to Ironsworn/Starforged's Progress Tracks in case you want something a bit more on the rails.

They also added in a section on using Mythic with prepared adventures. I've not used that yet, but I was thinking about running Rebel Breakout with it to give it a test drive.

The only thing it really pared down at least as far as I can see, is the chaos chart is a lot less granular, but I think that's a good thing. Your version I think is around 50 pages where as the new one clocks in at a robust 230 pages.

It is so great for when you get GM block or writer's block.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: