The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droids: The Adventures of R2-D2 & C-3PO Source Book 0.1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Droids: The Adventures of R2-D2 & C-3PO Source Book 0.1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Droids: The Adventures of R2-D2 & C-3PO Source Book 0.1 Reply with quote

After seven years, here it is and yes I need your help to make it better. Please comment and help with the editing. Also, putting out the call for a layout person to make this awesome.

Star Wars Droids: The Adventures of R2-D2 and C-3PO Source Book v0.1 Beta (2021-June-02)

Links to Source Books to be Proofread.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get to this after going through the others. But I can only offer suggestions for the TV episodes, not the comics
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only saw the Droids cartoons, so I can only comment on the stats made for those characters.

Thall Joben: Thall’s his mother died a few months later, leaving Jord his only real family.

Remove "his"

Maybe I'm wrong, but can advanced skill have fewer dice assigned to it than the attribute associated with the skill?

You organized the hero characters by arc first, then alphabetical order. Shouldn't you have done the same for the villains? Have the Fromm gang first, the dictator and pirates next, then the Imperials?

Ko Zatec-Cha - if he's a "magic user", shouldn't he be Force-sensitive and have Force powers? Unless the "magic" he used was a combination of drugs and equipment, like mind-control devices?

Evar Orbus - you have this individual's name, but Max Rebo's name in the stats. Was that an alias?

Durkii - it has no planet of origin, but since the kleex is mentioned in its description, and kleex are native to Tammuz-an, then the durkii is from there too?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but can advanced skill have fewer dice assigned to it than the attribute associated with the skill?

Yes. Advanced skills do not default to attributes. That's part of what makes them not normal skills. They can be as low as 1D.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:

I wouldn't think so. Is there an example of this in the book?

wookieepedia wrote:
Ko Zatec-Cha - if he's a "magic user", shouldn't he be Force-sensitive and have Force powers? Unless the "magic" he used was a combination of drugs and equipment, like mind-control devices?

I will have to look at this again. I believe I decided he was not Force-sensitive and that "magic user" is synonymous with magician or holy man.

wookieepedia wrote:
Evar Orbus - you have this individual's name, but Max Rebo's name in the stats. Was that an alias?

wookieepedia wrote:
Orbus decided to form a Jizz band to profit from his musical skills, and recruited a group of talented but easily exploitable musicians which included Max Rebo and Sy Snootles, forming Evar Orbus and His Galactic Jizz-Wailers. He later bought Droopy McCool on Orvax IV to play in the band.

When the band was booked to play in Mos Eisley, the popular local band Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes intercepted them at the spaceport and tried to cause trouble, feeling Orbus and his band were intruding on their territory. A fight broke out, and Evar Orbus was killed in the ensuing gunfire. His fellow Galactic Jizz Wailers survived, and later renamed themselves the Max Rebo Band, moving on with their careers.

As he does not appear in the cartoon I had assumed he was dead and the group had not rebranded yet.

Forceally wrote:
Durkii - it has no planet of origin, but since the kleex is mentioned in its description, and kleex are native to Tammuz-an, then the durkii is from there too?

I try to error on the side of caution. If the inference is not strong I think it best not to assume.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thall Joben - you gave him Technical 4D and (A) repulsorlift engineering 1D+1. That's why I asked. Then again, advanced skills like that might start at 1D, regardless of the dice assigned to the associated attribute.

If Ko Zatec-Cha has the title "magic user", much like how there are people with titles throughout history, then okay.

You have a bio of Thall Joben, and then you have his stats. You mention Evar Orbus, and then suddenly there are stats for Max Rebo. No stats for Evar Orbus. No bio for Max Rebo. The sudden shift there is what threw me off.

Target-Remote - These are the Marksman-H that's already in the Droids Stats PDF, right?

You have Anno in the stats for Annoo

You have Bogden and stats for it. Then you have Bogden III, but you start the stats for that one with Bogden. Shouldn't it be Bogden III? Also, I believe Bogden already have stats in GG15: Attack of the Clones.

You listed Max Rebo, Sy Snootles, and Droopy McCool twice - once in the Characters section and again in the Organizations section.

Koboks already have stats in Alien Stats.

Ropagu have stats in Alien Encounters.

Spelling error: Tamuz-an vs. Tammuz-an

Bantha II skiff has stats in SWSE Sourcebook.

Quasar-Fire ships have stats in Starships and Speeders D6 conversion.

Kuat Drive Yards Gladiator-class Star Destroyer has stats in The Force Unleashed D6 conversion

Last edited by Forceally on Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, your previous post is confusing because Wookieepedia is not actually stating the text quoted.

shootingwomprats wrote:
wookieepedia wrote:

I will have to look at this again. I believe I decided he was not Force-sensitive and that "magic user" is synonymous with magician or holy man.

It's been since my son was little that I watched the episodes with him so my memories are vague. What Wookieepedia actually says is, "He used his magic to transform the prince into an addle-brained amnesiac" and "Sollag used the magic of the royal scepter to disperse Zatec-Cha's magic giving the prince command of his faculties once again." So if the Wookiee author is correct, it would seem that he did indeed have magic power and not just a title. If so, and since the Force is magic in cartoons, TCoPL, and TRoS, it would see appropriate to stat this guy out with Force stats and at least one Force power that alters someone's memories. Oh, and the scepter would have Force powers too if statting that out, but I'm clueless on how specifically to stat out magical powers/spells and magic items for Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
If Ko Zatec-Cha has the title "magic user", much like how there are people with titles throughout history, then okay.

Quote:
...if he's a "magic user", shouldn't he be Force-sensitive and have Force powers? Unless the "magic" he used was a combination of drugs and equipment, like mind-control devices?

Star Wars: Droids - The Pirates and the Prince - (Complete movie)

15:02-15:18 Seeing and interacting with the Tammuz-an Royal Scepter allows Mon Julpa to overcome Ko Zatec-Cha's mindwipe. The original wite-up for the scepter gives the righful ruler a +10 modifier to willpower checks, which includes overcoming mind wipes. I think a better way to work this scene is that Mon Julpa and the scepter recogize each other and this gives him a +10 situation modifier to overcome his mental conditioning.

15:31-15:36 "My memory was erased by an evil vizier so he could ursurp my rightful throne."

Mon Julpa refers to his condition in scientific terms. If it was by "magic" he would refer to it in that way. Ko Zatec-Cha does not use any "magic" powers and does not mentally dominate Mon Jula or Jessica Meade when he appears to have the time. This leads me to think its indeed a mindwipe procedure requiring time, training, and the appropriate equipment. My thoughts are the wookieepedia write-up is incorrect.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm clearly biased re: this project, but this looks great, Don.

I was really pleased with how many of my/our write-ups turned out, as well as with many of the fun "random" ideas and details that make the book more cohesive, like having the opening crawl be the lyrics from the theme song, etc.

With our both having put so much work into this project over the years/so long ago, it's great that this finally saw the light of day.

Major kudos. On your prolific output overall, and for getting this Droids sourcebook "finished" and freed into the wild, in particular.

OBSCURE CHARACTER ARCHIVE INDEX

sithholocron
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s*** I wish I saw this earlier, it would have saved me so much time.

Digital Assets:
support: patreon.com/chipmaps
store: ko-fi.com/chipmaps/shop
social media: instagram.com/chipmaps
GreenSnaggletooth
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I remember when I wrote the background for the Lutki way back when. Glad to see this finally see the light of day!
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to watching this on Disney+. And while some of the show is cringe-y. I was like “wow, I could use some of this as adventures”. It definitely gives ideas on how to make something Star Wars but still your own.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at this, and I did a little searching. The Battle Legionnaire droid had been stated previously as a conversion from the WotC's Galaxy of Intrigue. You can find it in the archives here in the forums.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I remember this show fondly when I was growing up. Thanks for putting this up!
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some layout suggestions:

Make it like all the official sourcebooks - make an index page to what each chapter covers and start each chapter on a fresh page; don't worry about blank space on the last page of a chapter.

Move all your "Sources" bits to an Appendix at the end of the book.

Sort connected characters within their category (Heroes, Villains, Citizens, etc). by association rather than alphabetically. Similarly, in Chapter 3: Droids, sort droids by their primary function - combat/security, astromech, protocol, servant, etc. Follow the same logic for other such categories - Creatures: land/sea/air/space, Weapons: handheld, ship mounted, structure mounted, etc.

Move dialogue quotes to the profile of the character/hardware/creature/etc. they're talking about. Ex: "They don't come much worse than him." - Vlix Oncard, regarding Boba Fett should be somewhere within Boba Fett's profile, not just stick randomly at the beginning of the Villains section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: