The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Called Shots on Ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Called Shots on Ships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Called Shots on Ships Reply with quote

So, this is likely not a new idea... hell, I may have even had it before... but I played around with an idea for called shots on capital ships (the TIE Fighter and X-wing games were an early love).

So.

If you want to target part of the ship, the GM determines the scale for that part only... if I want to shoot a Turbolaser off a Star Destroyer in my X-Wing, that's probably at least Speeder scale. I target that with the appropriate scale difference (so, my X-Wing takes a 4D penalty), and, if I hit, the target rolls Hull and Shield dice at its own scale... so it takes an additional 4D of damage. Damage, however, only accumulates to that particular target... I can't blow up the Death Star by shooting a turbolaser, no matter how well I roll on the Wild Die.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How a bout a slightly simpler solution that imo appear to also actually mimic what we see in games and movies.

An X wing attacking a corvette can only attack a "small area" of the ship at closr range at lest, due to the size discrepencies.
I would argue that a corvette, frigate or even a destroyer will have weapon turrets, "armor zones" and the like that will be greatly impacted at close range by the somewhat concentrated fire from a fighter.

As such I would argue to remove scale on close range dice on close range called shots.

I would argue that the individual trubolaser turrets are roughtly starfigher size on a ship like a star destroyer. Looking to TFA and Finn and Poe's escape we see them shoot a "rocket" turret, now it may be perspective but it appeared within the size band of a star fighter and should imo as such have a 0 size dice difference.

so simply make a called shot, using normal combat called shot rules, but becuse the small area attacked you simply remove the size dice.

so the x wing will have 0 dice bonus/penalty to attack the turrets on the deathstar, the turret likewise.
the total damage dealt by taking out 1 turret is N/A but for the cinematic effects, the CPs and the player experience that should imo be doable,a and I think that removing scale in those cases is the best way to go
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds familiar...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Called Shots on Ships Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, this is likely not a new idea...

CRMcNeill wrote:
This sounds familiar...

And that reminds me of this.

Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Not a new idea. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: