The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force User's Handbook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Force User's Handbook Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final Chiss Ascendancy book will be coming out this week, so I should be getting it in the mail before Thanksgiving.

Any help would be appreciated for the following questions:

What types of meditations are there, besides the ones I previously mentioned?

How one can be categorized as a Force empath, Force telepath, Force mentalist, or Force illusionist using d6 criteria instead of the d20 Feats criteria I listed?
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having finished Chiss Ascendancy: Lesser Evil, I've completed my research of the new material for new Force powers for now. Admitted, I'm disappointed that there wasn't any new information about the Chiss Force tradition and the "Sights". I'm convinced about one thing - I don't think we've seen the last of Timothy Zahn. This is personal speculation, but depending on how things proceed with The Mandalorian and the forthcoming Ahsoka TV series, we might see future novels about Thrawn post-Rebels, which might take him back to the Chiss Ascendancy.

Anyway, back to my work - The Force Compendium.

There are three stages for the update: file creation where I create files listing new powers, new traditions, or new sections; transplantation where I transplant the information from these files into the main Force Compendium file; and polishing, where I go through the completed work for editing, formatting, and then updating the table of content and index. The polishing is going to take the longest - hundreds of powers across 223 pages. And these numbers are for the current version.

Progress on the update:
File creation: 98% complete
Transplantation: 14% complete
Polishing: 0% complete
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress on the update:
File creation: 98% complete
Transplantation: 42% complete
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress on the update:
File creation: 70% complete
Transplantation: 44% complete

I reduced the file creation because I forgot that after I make the transplants, I have to adjust the table of contents and appendix with new page numbers for the powers. You can imagine how much fun I'm going to have with that, which will occur alongside the polishing process. To make it easier, I'll be creating a table of content file and an appendix file which I will update continuously. Once the polishing is done, I'll transplant the two files, and the process will be complete.

I also have an idea of a Force power associated with the Force Dyad. It'll help explain what I find to be one of the more perplexing aspects of the Dyad.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress on the update:
File creation: 77% complete
Transplantation: 77% complete

Previous length: 233 pages
New length: 259 pages
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress on the update:
File creation: 100% complete
Transplantation: 77% complete
Polishing: 30% complete
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, once again I managed to update my work and make it available for everyone on the boards to view. Here it is:

The Force Compendium

Now that's out of the way, I need your opinion for the next time I post an update. Do I keep it all in one file, or do I split it. One file for the Canon powers and one for the Legends powers.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Well, once again I managed to update my work and make it available for everyone on the boards to view. Here it is:

The Force Compendium

Thank you for sharing your hard work!

Quote:
Now that's out of the way, I need your opinion for the next time I post an update. Do I keep it all in one file, or do I split it. One file for the Canon powers and one for the Legends powers.

Splitting it into two works would have some duplication, right? For powers that exist in both continuities (like what appeared in the first six films)? It may be easier to keep it one book and label the sources for the powers like you do now.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Forceally wrote:

The Force Compendium

Thank you for sharing your hard work!

Quote:

Splitting it into two works would have some duplication, right? For powers that exist in both continuities (like what appeared in the first six films)? It may be easier to keep it one book and label the sources for the powers like you do now.

Well, the powers listed in the Star Wars RPG Sourcebook - they're canon. The ones introduced in the Dark Empire Sourcebook and Jedi Academy Trilogy are possibly Legends unless they've been introduced into the canon. An example is the transfer essence power. Back in the day, it was canon. The we have the whole Disney takeover causing established canon to become legends, so it became a Legends power. Now, thanks to TROS, it's back in canon. So it would have started out in the canon issue. Then it would have been removed from there and placed in the Legends issue. Then it would have been removed from the Legends issue and placed back in the Canon issue. The Dathomiri spells are Legends, but the Nightsister spells are canon. So you see what I mean about possibly splitting them into two books. Not only that, but it'll cut down on the amount of polishing and renumbering for the table of contents and appendix. Then again, I did consider adding a line like Status: Canon/Legend. But once again, we got the renumbering issue again.

Another idea - should I consider changing the background and font colors for certain sections? No way I'll be able to do what FFG did in their books. The downside would be choosing the correct color combo for each section that will allow you to read them. IIRC, I did see something, either a fanmade work or a website where the background was black, but the text was red. Red and black - the colors of Darth Maul, so it's perfect for the Sith Powers section.

Final note - like I said in a previous post, I liked Zahn's recent works focusing on Thrawn - the Thrawn and Chiss Ascendancy Trilogies. Given how Rebels ended, how the novels ended, and what the forthcoming Ahsoka series is hinting at, I'm convinced we haven't seen the last of Zahn. Note I said Zahn, not Thrawn. Personal speculation, but I'm convinced he's going to be brought back in to write more novels about Thrawn once we see what Ahsoka brings. If I'm right, here's hoping for some more info on the Chiss Force tradition.
deano
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work and thanks for sharing.

As for splitting it or not, I wouldn’t worry. Ultimately it will be up to the GM on what they allow or not and I personally don’t think whether it is canon or not really matters. If the GM is so set on only using canon material only, then I’m sure they will establish it themselves as they’ll be in the world of checking themselves anyway.

Keep up the great work.

Deano

Last edited by deano on Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deano wrote:
Great work and thanks for sharing.

As for splitting it or not, I wouldn’t worry. Ultimately it will be up to the GM on what they allow or not and I personally don’t think whether it is canon or not really matters. If the GM is so set on only using canon material only, then I’m sure they will establish it themselves as they’ll be in th world of checking themselves anyway.

Keep up the great work.

Deano

Thanks.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the current High Republic novels and comics are a part of Phase I, as the higher ups of Star Wars are calling it. I know that Phase II will being in October. Don't know if there are more phases coming up, but at the moment that's irrelevant. What is relevant is that I'm planning to make an update available before Phase 2 begins. September at the latest. Would still like to have the option of having different colored texts and backgrounds, like I mentioned in a previous post, but that's not a priority for me. What is a priority is looking through the novels and comics before October to discern any new powers to add. I have incorporated one of two powers that I should have added in the last update. I've come up with one to describe what Luke did to Grogu in The Book of Boba Fett. I have come up with a number of other powers that were inspired by RPGGamer.org. Here's my main question for the moment: the Ones - the Father, the Son, and the Daughter - used powers that were unique to them. Should I incorporate those powers into the sections I've already listed? Or should I make a completely separate section for them, like I did with the Baran Do and Matukai for example.

I have a possible solution to my question about members of non-telepathic species being able to use telepath powers like thought sensor and mind probe. It involves taking various feats introduced in the RCRB like Attuned and Aware and somehow bringing them into the d6. I'm looking at saying if a Jedi has one of these feats, then the receive a bonus to their rolls when using certain powers. But I don't know what to call it. I can't call it Force affinity because there's a Force power with that name in my work. It came from the KOTORII game, so it has nothing to do with the d20 feats. So does anyone have any ideas? For that matter, does anyone have any suggestions on how, in d6 terms, a Jedi can be considered a Force empath, a Force telepath, or a Force mentalist?
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, I can say I have gone through what I can and created any new powers I can come up with. There may be some powers to be discovered in the forthcoming Phase I books and comics, but I have to wait until I get them. While there's polishing that needs to be done, I still have need your suggestion on the questions in my previous post.

Do I make a section dedicated to the two Force powers I've seen used by the Mortis beings - Son, Daughter, and Father?

I think I've come up with a way to bring in the various "qualifier feats" from d20 to d6. Specifically the Skill Emphasis, Attune, Aware, Compassion, Dark Power, Focus, Kinetic Might, Link, Malevolent, Mettle, Mind Trick, Peacemaker, Powerful Presence, and Primal Sympathy feats. This will also help with determine who among the Jedi can learn the various telepath powers. What do I call this section, and where should I put it. I do know I can't call it Force Affinity because there's a Force power with that name.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one seems to responding to my questions. Hmm.

As for the feats I call qualifiers: Attuned, Aware, etc., I'm starting to think that they should be integrated into the Force training section, since the Jedi and Sith would notice them during training, and that could shape the path they eventually take, so as to speak. Anyone okay with that?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of crossing over Feats. If there's a place for them at all, they should be incorporated either into an Advantage / Disadvantage system, or as specific actions that can be performed with existing skills, just at higher Difficulty. For example, someone wrote up the D20 Feat Walk On Walls as a Force Power in the Force Power Conversion book. IMO, this should be included either as a high Difficulty option for Climbing/Jumping, or as a part of an Acrobatics or Gymnastics Advanced Skill, which can then be boosted by use of Enhance Attribute, not as a distinct, specific Force Power.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: