The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

So Who Has an Active SW D6 Game Going On Right Now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> So Who Has an Active SW D6 Game Going On Right Now? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antilles wrote:
We are still at the beginning of the adventure. Holydays + online playing have made everything slower, but I will let you know how it goes! Smile

Cool.

garhkal wrote:
The thing i never really liked about starfall, was them placing walex in, almost as a Maguffin, they Have to get out with.

The whole plot centers around Walex Blissex. There literally isn't much story without him. The reason for him going (with the Rebel team guarding him) was to reunite with his estranged daughter. There is a final confrontation with her near the end of the module. Walex and Lira are the only ones that could set the VSD to self-destruct this way, and when Walex realizes it then they realize they are setting a trap for the Rebel attack fleet. So instead of the PC group just fighting for their lives to get out, there are epic stakes involved for the Alliance. If you remove Walex, then you just have PCs trying to escape from a wrecked ship. It could still be a fun adventure, but it wouldn't be as meaningful without the story.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't the pc's find some way to jury rig up some self destruct though..
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STARFALL

I ran star fall a long time ago in a city not too far away....

(it was in my last d6 campaign, early 2000s).

I left out all the stuff about the npc's - it was a pure - the party got captured mistakenly - (they were smugglers at this point, not rebels...) for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Before it could all get sorted out - the ship got damaged - then it became a race to see if they could make it off the ship while it was falling apart around them - almost like a high intensity posedien adventure thing - they were smuggling dangerous creatures in their ship - which of course, they got loose too - so beside the sinking ship, imperials and escape - they had carnivorous cargo to deal with.

the party loved it.

CAMPAIGN
Our last campaign was d20, and it went on haitus right before covicd for other reasons - and has since stopped.

Now, my group (with a few changes ....) is about to start a NEW campaign, with a heavily modified version of D6 in about two weeks.

It is a party of force users in a post-order 66 galaxy.
We are starting with a bunch of narrative mini-scenarios prior to the clone wars start, and ending with order 66, to help establish party backstory.
(think a bunch of star wars themed fiasco sessions).

I am really excited about our new game, as while my group has played star wars rpg in some sort of another for almost 20 years - this is the longest break we have had (about 2 years).
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Why can't the pc's find some way to jury rig up some self destruct though..

They can. See pakman's version. I was just saying that if you do take out Walex Blissex, you take out the whole story as published, and all you have left is a setting. A cool setting, sure, but the heart of "Starfall" is gone.

And the adventure's plot isn't just get Blissex off of a wrecked star destroyer. It is a race against time to save a Rebel fleet from a trap they don't know about.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaming

our old star wars game went on pause right around covid, but for other reasons. We decided to let it go... (player changes, life changes, and we were running d20, and while it was fun, let it go too).

We have played dnd5e for about 18 months, online remotely.
It worked out much better than I had anticipated.
Zoom for talking, music, etc.
Owlbear rodeo for a vtt.

STAR WARS

My new game (FINALLY) launched this past weekend!
(big overlap in groups - we do two weeks dnd5e, 2 weeks star wars, on and off. gives the gm's of each groups a break).

I have been working on it for months (as to the many many posts here and other places). I am running a somewhat hybrid version of opendd6/Reup with a few elements from savage worlds.

Don't get me wrong - I do love d6 (we left d20 Saga to come back to d6), but my old weg 2.5 just shows ...its age (hence the incredible amount of house rules in these forums).

Our session 0 and backstory session was in person (except for one guy - who's wife had the audacity to get covid!), but as some of the guys live a bit far - some sessions will be in person, some remote (as we are experienced with the whole zoom/vtt thing).

Starting up
I made up a narrative backstory method, loosely inspired by the game fiasco for the players to do their character histories.

After a TON of planning and work ... it had a few rough spots - but it was AN OUTSTANDING SUCCESS!

I will post more on it later - but basically went back in time BEFORE the campaign, and the players had a ton of narrative min-adventures to build back story, NPC associations and shared experiences.

This next session, as the players now have good character concepts and history, is for me to do a system demo (some have not played d6 in literally decades, or never) then they are creating characters with templates I have made and my updated version of the new player handout.

They are a group of force users (3 jedi, 2 ex-jedi, one never jedi) having survived order 66 are thrust into a hostile and dangerous galaxy...
Antilles
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on "Black Ice" adventure.

One of the PCs got captured. The other ones are now a bit "on panic": they have no weapons, and must elaborate a plan to accomplish the objective of the mission and rescue the other PC.

One of the players, a Jedi, used receptive telepathy to discover what the captured PC was thinking... Fortunately, the PC role-played he was afraid of the possibility of getting tortured by an imperial interrogation droid.

Now the rest of the PCs believe that it's only matter of time that they got discovered Laughing

It is great when they really make the story Very Happy
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it goes.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the Black Ice adventure translate to second edition? Any problems with it?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antilles wrote:
Update on "Black Ice" adventure.

One of the PCs got captured. The other ones are now a bit "on panic": they have no weapons, and must elaborate a plan to accomplish the objective of the mission and rescue the other PC.

One of the players, a Jedi, used receptive telepathy to discover what the captured PC was thinking... Fortunately, the PC role-played he was afraid of the possibility of getting tortured by an imperial interrogation droid.

Now the rest of the PCs believe that it's only matter of time that they got discovered Laughing

It is great when they really make the story Very Happy

What are the die skills of that jedi, to have been able to successfully kick in receptive telepathy??
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be running a WEG SW 1ed game this weekend for my usual group. This is the 3rd of 3 one-shots to see which of 3 games we'll be playing (Wild West Cinema, Far Trek, or Star Wars 1e).

I'm running a modified Dawn of Defiance, set 5 years after the Clone Wars ended (instead of the 1 year of the original story). We'll see how session 1 works out, and then the group will be making their decision.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, SW 1e crashed and burned....

Players did not feel the d6 system lends itself to quick and cinematic action.

It was especially the 1e combat system they didn't like:
1. Declare actions, including multiple actions
2. Roll to attack vs. TN for first attack
a. High roll goes first, next high goes second....
b. Whoever is hit by high roll now gets to roll to Dodge and add it to the
TN
c. Compare first roll to hit vs. new TN based on Dodge
3. Roll Damage
a. If the attack hits (and hits again vs. dodge) Roll damage.
b. Defender rolls Strength in opposition to damage
c. Compare Damage to Strength to see if stunned, wounded, etc.
4. Then the next person attacks, then the next
5. Then if there are multiple attacks, roll those now, in same order
6. Then the round is over.

They just didn't like it.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
So, SW 1e crashed and burned....

Players did not feel the d6 system lends itself to quick and cinematic action.

It was especially the 1e combat system they didn't like:
1. Declare actions, including multiple actions
2. Roll to attack vs. TN for first attack
a. High roll goes first, next high goes second....
b. Whoever is hit by high roll now gets to roll to Dodge and add it to the
TN
c. Compare first roll to hit vs. new TN based on Dodge
3. Roll Damage
a. If the attack hits (and hits again vs. dodge) Roll damage.
b. Defender rolls Strength in opposition to damage
c. Compare Damage to Strength to see if stunned, wounded, etc.
4. Then the next person attacks, then the next
5. Then if there are multiple attacks, roll those now, in same order
6. Then the round is over.

They just didn't like it.

I agree with them about 1e's combat round. What made you choose 1e to sell them on D6? What do you think of the R&E combat round? It is drastically different that the above.

Please, have your players read the first three posts in this thread. 1e's combat round does not lend itself to quick and cinematic action, but the combat round kept evolving in D6. Letting WEG SW 1e represent the D6 system as a whole is a fatal flaw. In 2eR&E, the combat round finally realized the full potential of D6. Judging the D6 System as a whole based only on SW 1e is extreme prejudice.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run 1e for the family in the past, and they were ok with it. It is convoluted. I wanted a simple game (and 1.5, RC, 2e, and REUP all tack on a lot of complexity - but perhaps LESS complexity for combat?).

I've seen your detailed breakdowns of combat through the editions. I need to sit down and read later versions of combat...
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
I've run 1e for the family in the past, and they were ok with it. It is convoluted. I wanted a simple game (and 1.5, RC, 2e, and REUP all tack on a lot of complexity - but perhaps LESS complexity for combat?).

R&E/REUP's combat round is definitely less complicated. That was the point. If they had thought of the R&E combat round when designing 1e, I think it would have been used back then.

ThrorII wrote:
I've seen your detailed breakdowns of combat through the editions. I need to sit down and read later versions of combat...

Please do. In the thread I linked above, I propose that it is possible to port the R&E combat round into older editions, if the R&E reaction rules are ported with them. Let me know what you think there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can ever hammer out my Range Bracket house rule, I'll probably revert back to a hybrid system I've taken to calling 1R&E. The concept is about ~80-90% formulated; the main hurdle would be assigning appropriate Difficulties to the various weapon types at range.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: