The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My Auto-Fire Rules (the Final Version)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> My Auto-Fire Rules (the Final Version) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:08 am    Post subject: My Auto-Fire Rules (the Final Version) Reply with quote

Someone pointed out to me that I really need to update the Auto-Fire rules, so here we go...

There are four different steps of Auto-Fire:
    1D (equivalent to the Short Burst option for some modern military rifles).
    2D (equivalent to fully automatic weapons)
    3D (equivalent to very high rate-of-fire weapons such as gatling guns)
    4D (equivalent to continuous-stream weapons such as flamethrowers, beamers, chem sprayers, etc).
The Auto-Fire is applied to every "shot" fired by the weapon, and is treated as a Dice Pool that is split between Damage (subject to the Scatter Rule) and Attack rolls.

In addition, because 2D, 3D and 4D are fully automatic, they have the option of a Long Burst that adds 1D to the Auto-Fire Dice, but must be the only attack made by the weapon that round. Plus, 4D weapons firing a Full Round Burst may take advantage of the Sustained Fire Rule.

Finally, because ammo is finite and interchangeable at Character-Scale, I use the following formula to convert from one weapon to another (as would be the case if one were to siphon blaster gas from the ammo drum of a light repeating blaster to recharge the power pack for their blaster pistol):
    1D = 4 rounds
    2D = 20 rounds
    3D = 100 rounds
    4D = 500 rounds
This is further modified by the difference in damage, multiplying or dividing by 2 for ever 1D shift up or down. For example, a Light Repeating Blaster (5D Damage) with a 20-shot ammo drum being siphoned to recharge a Blaster Pistol (4D Damage) could provide up to 400 rounds.

I'm also going to go back through the Character-Scale weapon stats and change the ammo numbers to reflect that a single shot using the weapon's base Auto-Fire value consumes one "shot" of ammo.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use your weapon stats and auto-fire rules. Thank you. Can you give us a little commentary on what you changed from the prior version, and why?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I use your weapon stats and auto-fire rules. Thank you. Can you give us a little commentary on what you changed from the prior version, and why?

The main change I made is in simplifying the Ammo. In the old version, you could have a Rotary Blaster Cannon with 1,000 rounds of Ammo, but every time you pulled the trigger, it fired 100 rounds. What I'm looking to do is simplify Ammo Tracking, so that the Rotary Blaster Cannon instead has "10 shots", but each "shot" fires 100 individual energy blasts. If it were to do a Full Round Burst, that would consume 5 "shots" while firing 500 rounds. I ultimately felt that tracking that many rounds was overly complicated when a gun would fire off 20 or 100 rounds every time you pulled the trigger. A lot of the original stats for Repeating Blasters went a similar route, giving them low ammo counts but high damage.

Apart from that, I just tried to streamline the core Auto-Fire rules themselves. I'll be going into the stats to clarify the changes as soon as I post this.

A couple examples of changes would be altering the Blaster Rifle to say:
    Rate of Fire: 0D / 1D Auto-Fire (uses 4 rounds)
while the Medium Repeating Blaster would say:
    Rate of Fire: 2D / 3D Auto-Fire (uses 5 rounds)
    Ammo: 15

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what the Auto Fire rating is in terms of "D", such as Auto Fire 2D, but fir several of your weapons, like repeater blasters, you may have Rate of Fire 2D. Does this mean the Rate of Fire is randomly determined each round (resulting in a range from 2 to 12)? Also, how does this work with the different fire modes, which expend 4, 20, 100, or 500 blasts per action?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I understand what the Auto Fire rating is in terms of "D", such as Auto Fire 2D, but fir several of your weapons, like repeater blasters, you may have Rate of Fire 2D. Does this mean the Rate of Fire is randomly determined each round (resulting in a range from 2 to 12)?

I've tried to specify Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire, but obviously forgotten to in some cases. In any of my stats, if there is D rating in Rate of Fire, it means Auto-Fire, as in, every time the character fires a "shot" they receive that D of Auto-Fire to apply to the shot. Things get thrown off a little outside of Character-Scale since that's the only level where ammunition is tracked, but the Full-Round-Burst = +1D Auto-Fire rule still applies.

I'll circle back through my stats to see if I can find what you're talking about.

Quote:
Also, how does this work with the different fire modes, which expend 4, 20, 100, or 500 blasts per action?

I went back through and edited all my personal weapon stats to simplify things. Number of rounds fired per "shot" is only applicable when you're trying to calculate how many shots you'd get if you used a power pack from one weapon to charge a different power pack, so the numbers are mostly there for notation.

To clarify:
    Weapon has #D in Auto-Fire = # of Indivdual Rounds Fired per Shot / Trigger Pull
    1D = 4
    2D = 20
    3D = 100
    4D = 500
    5D = 2500
But again, these numbers only matter when you're trying to convert ammo from one weapon's power pack into the power pack of another weapon with a different Damage and Rate of Fire.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I can clarify my question. If a character is shooting a medium repeating blaster on a generator (unlimited ammo) and it has a Rate of Fire: 2D / 3D Auto-Fire (3D uses 5 Shots), how many times can the character "shoot" the weapon? I understand each shot uses multiple shot and each shot gets f Auto-fire dice, but how many actions to shoot (individual blaster skill rolls) can the character take?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Perhaps I can clarify my question. If a character is shooting a medium repeating blaster on a generator (unlimited ammo) and it has a Rate of Fire: 2D / 3D Auto-Fire (3D uses 5 Shots), how many times can the character "shoot" the weapon?

Okay, that's going to depend on which Auto-Fire value the character uses. If the character is using 2D Mode, he's firing short, controlled bursts of 20 rounds each, and each shot is treated just like a character firing a Blaster Pistol (as in, he can fire as many shots per round as his skill level permits, accounting for MAPs), except that a Blaster Pistol fires one blast per shot, while a medium repeating blaster fires twenty blasts per shot.

However, if he chooses to do a Full-Round Burst, his Auto-Fire goes up to 3D, but that is the only attack he is allowed to make with that repeating blaster that round. It only counts as one action for MAP purposes, though.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In retrospect, I can see some of the Blaster Cannon potentially having a 1D / 2D Auto-Fire rating, which duplicates some of the Auto-Cannon used in the real world on lighter armored vehicles like scout cars, IFVs or some light tanks.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I get it now. I will be trying it out in my next game.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Things get thrown off a little outside of Character-Scale since that's the only level where ammunition is tracked

For blaster/laser weapons, yeah, but I've alway tracked starship missile and torpedo ammunition.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
For blaster/laser weapons, yeah, but I've always tracked starship missile and torpedo ammunition.

Me too, but since none of the ordnance launchers in my system have Auto-Fire ratings, it's not really an issue. I think I gave an Auto-Fire rating to some of the multi-rocket artillery weapons I've done, which works considering that a multi-rocket launcher is basically a Mitrailleuse on a vastly larger scale, but even then, the amount of ammo is small enough to be tracked with relative ease, especially since it's not uncommon for a multi-rocket launcher to flush its entire load in a single salvo.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: My Auto-Fire Rules (the Final Version) Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
    3D Auto-Fire: Fire Rate of 1, and expends 100 shots.
    2D Auto-Fire: Fire Rate of 3, and expends 20 shots
    1D Auto-Fire: standard Fire Rate, and expends 4 shots.

This is an excerpt from the Auto-fire rules discussing repeaters. I added the emphasis to the Rate of Fire. Here is says the Rate of Fire depends on the number of dice in Auto-fire. However, in the entries for the Weapons with Auto-fire, it is listed as a #D value/#D value (to show full use). This was were I was getting confused. I would rather have the Rate of Fire indicated on each weapon entry rather than have to refer back to the Auto-fire rules to find out the Rate of Fire. Too much cross referencing will slow down the game and I would probably just discard the full house rule in favor of something easier.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s the old rules. Ignore them. Use the ones I just posted recently that are now linked in the Index.

Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so the Rate of Fire for all weapons with Auto-fire is effectively "-", unless a character fires a Long Burst from a weapon with Auto-fire 2D or greater, whereas they would have a Rate of Fire: 1 and would get +1D to their Auto-fire. I still think it would be helpful to indicate this on the weapon profiles somehow to avoid too much cross referencing. Just looking at Rate of Fire 2D (for example) suggests the weapon may fire a random number of shots equal to the dice roll each round. I know when you dig into the rules more, you see, but it may be a big barrier to use the rules for many. I know I read the rules several times and thought "maybe some time I'll try to figure this out, but I don't have the mental capacity right now."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Auto-Fire Rules posted in my Index, and to the best of my knowledge, all the stats that use them say Auto-Fire after the dice value. I find I'm somewhat disinterested in spelling it out any more clearly than that. I suppose I could go through and turn all my uses of "Auto-Fire" into direct links to the Auto-Fire post, but I honestly don't feel like it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: