The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Book of Boba Fett [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Book of Boba Fett [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill so if I understand you correctly. For your House Rule Melee covers all melee and Lightsabers too. (A) Lightsaber is based off that? That sounds good. My other thought about Lightsabers hurting yourself deals with Vibro weapons. My thoughts are if Lightsabers are dangerous to the user so shouldn’t Vibro-weapons too?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Whill so if I understand you correctly. For your House Rule Melee covers all melee and Lightsabers too. (A) Lightsaber is based off that? That sounds good.

Yes, melee covers melee uses of lightsabers, but that includes the danger of hurting yourself if you roll too low. Having the advanced lightsaber skill means there's no danger of hurting yourself the same way. I forgot to link my Skill rules in the post above.

Ninja-Bear wrote:
My other thought about Lightsabers hurting yourself deals with Vibro weapons. My thoughts are if Lightsabers are dangerous to the user so shouldn’t Vibro-weapons too?

I feel that's reasonable. Then again, using any melee weapon could be dangerous to the user, so I'd probably save that for rolls that miss the difficulty and also have a 1 on the wild die.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Mando, the N-1, and Bounties

I think that episode is a preview of the upcoming change in Mando's life.

In this episode, he is bounty hunting, but he seems to be 'going through the motions' and is doing it for information, not for the bounty.

We get a contrast between the two women in the episode - the Armorer and the Mechanic. The Armorer is rigid and about the past (Reflecting the Old Mando). The Mechanic is pushing Mando forward in a new direction for a ship (reflecting the new direction of Mando). The fact that the Armorer 'de-Mandalorianed' Din, but he still kept the Dark Saber AND told the TSA droid that weapons are part of his religion indicated (to me at least) that he is no longer going to cult-like follow the Armorer. The fact that she said he's not Mandalorian did not change his opinion of himself.

I think Mando will be going on a pilgrimage of sorts - leaving behind the old and seeking out the new. I think he WILL go to Mandalore and find the pools - and a Mithrasaur - and be on his way to leading the Mandalorians in a "Third-way".
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injuring yourself with a vibro-blade depends greatly on blade alignment. lightsabers don't seem to have a an edge and flat like swords and vibroblades do. Hitting yourself with even the "flat" of a lightsaber will at least burn you. Unlike traditional sword technique where you frequently, even intentionally, touch the sword's blade, you can never ever even briefly touch the lightsaber blade with any part of your body without a non-zero chance of injury and a 100% chance of pain.

On this note my lightsaber wielding Ewok will be finished soon.

In the miniatures game you'd use Lightsaber skill, or a straight DEX attribute, for lightsabers. If you rolled a successful Lightsaber Combat force test before combat you could add your Control level to the to-hit and to-wound rolls. Non-force users who bombed out automatically hit themselves, and rolled for damage 5 against their own STR.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Yes, melee covers melee uses of lightsabers, but that includes the danger of hurting yourself if you roll too low. Having the advanced lightsaber skill means there's no danger of hurting yourself the same way.

I like that. When I did my Dueling Sabers rule, I made the basic Lightsaber skill equivalent to Form I, with all the other Forms as Advanced Skills that stacked with it. However, my view of the Lightsaber skill has evolved since then, as I don't find Lightsaber to be sufficiently different from Melee Combat to justify it being a separate skill. Making Lightsaber an Advanced Skill would be an excellent re-write for Form I. The one change I'd make from your skill list is to keep Melee Combat and Melee Parry (or Defense, in my case) as separate skills, as this allows characters a greater degree of granularity in Form design, as they can emphasize offense over defense, defense over offense, or try to maintain as balance, which is a feature of many of the higher-level Lightsaber Forms.

Quote:
Ninja-Bear wrote:
My other thought about Lightsabers hurting yourself deals with Vibro weapons. My thoughts are if Lightsabers are dangerous to the user so shouldn’t Vibro-weapons too?

I feel that's reasonable. Then again, using any melee weapon could be dangerous to the user, so I'd probably save that for rolls that miss the difficulty and also have a 1 on the wild die.

The only issue I see there is that, unlike lightsabers, vibroblades aren't just "edge all the way around," and as such, it will be more difficult to actually get said blade into a position where it actually can do harm to its wielder. Not that it's impossible, but the physics are a lot more constrained for than with lightsabers.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
On this note my lightsaber wielding Ewok will be finished soon.

Cool!

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
Yes, melee covers melee uses of lightsabers, but that includes the danger of hurting yourself if you roll too low. Having the advanced lightsaber skill means there's no danger of hurting yourself the same way.

I like that. When I did my Dueling Sabers rule, I made the basic Lightsaber skill equivalent to Form I, with all the other Forms as Advanced Skills that stacked with it. However, my view of the Lightsaber skill has evolved since then, as I don't find Lightsaber to be sufficiently different from Melee Combat to justify it being a separate skill. Making Lightsaber an Advanced Skill would be an excellent re-write for Form I.

Sounds good.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sad that the Beskar Spear was melted down. It does remind me though that I think Mandalorians aren’t as fighters as they think they are because of their armor. Oh and the Armorer’s reason why the spear should be melted. No the real reason is you wouldn’t want to give an adversary an advantage. I mean it’s legit reason but her reasoning is Batha droppings
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main purpose of the spear was the have something that was lightsaber-resistant when dueling with Moff Gideon. Now that Mando has the Darksaber, the doesn't need the spear. I didn't care for the spear anyway.

I thought it was odd that The Armorer interrupted Mando and Paz Vizsla's death battle for the Darksaber to ask if they each had ever taken off their helmets. We might as well call her The Plot Motivator.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's actually the darksaber, a one-of-a kind weapon. And I got the impression that it only felt heavier to him because he wasn't using it right and his arms became fatigued.

So it's really specialized planet destroying super-laser shrunk down even further to one hand size!? Wow now that's truly wizard!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Darksaber is on the short list of things the Nu-Canon did better than Legends.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I thought it was odd that The Armorer interrupted Mando and Paz Vizsla's death battle for the Darksaber to ask if they each had ever taken off their helmets. We might as well call her The Plot Motivator.

I think it is a 'de-escalation' technique of the cult. They are warriors. They are going to fight over honor and other things. A duel is acceptable, but actually killing one of the cult is not. Therefore, when the duel has reached its logical conclusion (ie: one side has obviously won), the creed is injected and both parties must respond - showing that they are brothers and the duel is over.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

She did that back in like episode 1 or 2 when things threatened to escalate into violence. Seems like it's a "thing" in their cult.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:

She did that back in like episode 1 or 2 when things threatened to escalate into violence. Seems like it's a "thing" in their cult.

"Threatened to escalate to violence?! They were already past threat of violence and escalation to it. They were in a duel. In both cases, she only stopped fight before there was certain death. But it is true that she intervened to stop Mandalorians from killing each other and asked the same question both times. (The first time was Episode 3 btw.)

But these two occurrences were not the same situation. The first time, they had their blades to each other's necks so it could have been fatal for both, and they were only fighting in the first place because Paz didn't like Mando doing business with Imperials and taking "blood beskar" as payment. The second time she said, "Do you agree to this duel, Din Djarin?" after a long monologue about the meaning of the Darksaber to their culture, including that it can only rightfully be won in combat. This second duel wasn't just two Mandalorians getting rough with each other. This was a duel prescribed by their culture to determine who has the right to lead Mandalore. The question about them ever having removed their helmets should have been asked before the duel, because the outcome of this duel would only be legit in her zealot eyes if they were both still loyal to the Way.

She broke up their first pointless fight by reminding them they were equally Mandalorian. But with Mando having diverged from the Way in TM s2, the duel in TBoBF Ep5 shouldn't have even occurred in the first place. The only logical in-universe reason I can think of that the Armorer would wait to ask the question would be if she wanted Mando dead for some reason, so she waited to see if Paz would win and if so then they may never know that he had strayed from the Way so it would seem like a valid earning of the Darksaber and right to rule Mandalore that comes with it. But then when Mando was about to kill Paz, the qualification question came that invalidated the duel.

Obviously, the whole point of it in the plot was to set up TM s3. Mando will return to Mandalore to try to purge his sins and regain his honor. The Armorer could have asked the question about removing helmets before the Duel for the Darksaber and it would have had the same end result in the plot, but we wouldn't have gotten that action sequence first. So maybe the Armorer doesn't want Mando dead. Maybe it was just bad writing to contrive an extra action scene.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch as Mando spars and duels with the Darksaber, he is swinging it like it has weight, overdoing it. It "feels heavier" because he really is fighting the blade, he is acting as if it is a typical blade, rather than the lightsaber it is.

Mando even got to keep the Darksaber because we've found out what happens when someone who didn't win it in a duel or battle gets ahold of it. Their planet got glassed last time, what's next, extinction of their culture? (Mandalorian being a culture and a creed rather than a species.).

As for keeping his armour, I'd have done a Con roll saying "It's an environmental suit." myself. Sure, go ahead, demand I expose myself to deadly gas. See how that flies with PR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: