The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How long to build??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How long to build??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:43 am    Post subject: How long to build?? Reply with quote

Say a party comes across a massive scrap heep, and through a few days of scrounging, searching and bartering, they come across enough parts, to actually BUILD themselves, say a Y or X-wing fighter.. Someone HAS Starship engineering...

HOW Long would it take the group, to actually Assemble it??
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have to see what facilities they have at the scarpyard, things like cranes and more, after all while a fighter is small, it is still heavy to lift armor plates and cannons and the like.

I would say without a workshop of sort they would not make it at all.

With the right facilities I would say with what we saw of the lone B-Wing engineer (rebels), we can assume he did not assembel the hull at the top of his cliff dwelling.

So to assemble with all I would say they need a workshop facility and be given maybe a month or so, maybe fasterf the more people have the skills needed
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer;
As long as the GM and the story need it to take.

Longer answer;
it would depend on a LOT.

What is the condition of the parts? How dirty, damaged, need lubrication, realignment etc. Some complex parts could take weeks to fix or clean.

Overall, it really depends on how integral the build is to the story, and how much roleplaying and game focus you want to put on it.

if not a lot, and just a couple of rolls - say most of the stuff is in good shape, and make it based off a few rolls - say 30 days, minus the skill check.

If you want it to take longer - like the fighter rebuild in book of boba fett - then stretch it out - and make some of it take longer.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
If you want it to take longer - like the fighter rebuild in book of boba fett - then stretch it out - and make some of it take longer.

I didn't get the sense that the fighter rebuild took that long. It seemed to me that it didn't take long enough. In TM, the Razor Crest was rebuilt/repaired multiples times and they always felt to me like they didn't take long enough.

But this OP seems to be about building from the ground up. That would vary a lot depending on the tools and other resources you had, so there is no simple answer without some more specific criteria.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How long to build?? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Say a party comes across a massive scrap heep, and through a few days of scrounging, searching and bartering, they come across enough parts, to actually BUILD themselves, say a Y or X-wing fighter.. Someone HAS Starship engineering...

HOW Long would it take the group, to actually Assemble it??

I think you're describing the assembly process for an Ugly. You're far more likely to find the parts to Frankenstein something together that sort of works than you ever are to find all the components you need for a full up Y-Wing, not to mention a more advanced X-Wing. And if you're on a time crunch, are you going to hold off on putting together some sort of hybrid ship just so you can spend the next few days or weeks digging on the off chance you'll find the components you need (which will likely be quite valuable and rare, after all), or just slap together something that will do the job?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of having them build a ship from the ground up, maybe they come across a salvage ship that's missing just a handful of components they need to find/jury rig to get it working.

Then once they get it working, have systems glitch or fail at key moments to see how they deal with it.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just set it for a time of a few months of game time. I would suggest you not give them the luxury of just waiting around for it to be finished. Maybe it is three of four game sessions before it is complete.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

But this OP seems to be about building from the ground up. That would vary a lot depending on the tools and other resources you had, so there is no simple answer without some more specific criteria.

There is none, unfortunately. It was just a 'what if' type question.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your general "what if", I would stick to my esrlier response. No need to fret over every detail - just make it a plot line and have it take as long as you need fir the story. Maybe they REALLY need the starfighter before something happens, like a TIE patrol arrives at the otherwise undefeated position and they have to rush right up to the very moment the ship takes off.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really been a fan of 'it takes as long as PLOT demands" though, as what happens later, when they want to do the same thing, and 'plot at that time has the time be much longer or shorter'. It can often make players wonder, why the no consistency.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've never really been a fan of 'it takes as long as PLOT demands" though, as what happens later, when they want to do the same thing, and 'plot at that time has the time be much longer or shorter'. It can often make players wonder, why the no consistency.

Have you ever watched Star Trek? There are currently over 800 episodes of it, and it should be no surprise that invariably, similar things sometimes happen in multiple episodes. Sometimes, it is even later in the same series. Technobabble is used to contrive differences between occurrences.

What I find more unrealistic to be where things just happen to take exactly the same amount of time as last time. That never happens in real life. That would be artificial consistency. RAW says all repair times, difficulties, and costs are only guidelines, and the GM should feel free to adjust them to suit the needs of the game's story. It would be weird if the damaged hyperdrive just happened to take the same exact time to repair as it did the last time. Why would you expect sort of "consistency" for hobbling together an ugly from random parts in a junk yard?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a techie in real life, i WOULD in no way, consider it unrealistic, that if it took me say 50 minutes to tear apart, and put back together a radio, that it wouldn't TAKE the same next time or the time after... Same for repairing the SAME problem in any other radio/radar...
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately, it is up the to GM...
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As a techie in real life, i WOULD in no way, consider it unrealistic, that if it took me say 50 minutes to tear apart, and put back together a radio, that it wouldn't TAKE the same next time or the time after... Same for repairing the SAME problem in any other radio/radar...

In your OP, they weren't taking apart a fighter and putting it back together. They were looking around in a junk pile for parts to hopefully have everything they need to make a ship.

And as far as repair times for damaged items, damage is random and it is not like any two damages would ever be exactly the same.

You ask for forum input, then reject all answers that aren't a definitive exact time for every situation. Sorry, I reject that premise. I clearly have nothing to add here. Have it take however long you think is right.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add to that the fact that you don't have a reliable source of usable parts. You are literally digging through a scrap pile, hoping to find something that works.

There is a huge difference between taking apart a radio, replacing one or two malfunctioning components then putting it back together, and digging through a massive pile of scrap looking for the exact components you need to build a functioning combat starfighter capable of interstellar travel. Not to mention expecting the process to be exactly the same - up to and including duration - when you try it again. Honestly, I'm amazed this point needs to be made.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: