The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Artillery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Artillery. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
I would've to see a compilation of artillery vehicles if it is not too much trouble.
Whill wrote:
Seconded. An index would be nice.

Here you go...There are a few others scattered around, and I really do need to go through and adjust/synchronize the vehicle-mounted cannon to make sure they all match up, but that's the majority of them.

Quote:
Do you have the AT-DT? I also agree about the legs - it looks like it would be quite unstable as a bipod with narrow feet.

I do not. Generally, I have to be inspired by an image that I like, and the entire concept of the AT-DT is...uninspiring. And the actual write-up is even worse. I mean, if it's a "Defense Turret", why is it only ever shown attacking? How is it a "turret" when the cannon is fixed-forward firing? DisneyLucas couldn't even be bothered to explain exactly what kind of cannon it's equipped with beyond "artillery cannon", which really is questionable for what's supposedly a defense vehicle.

If it were up to me, and I were designing a "defense turret" walker, I'd put it on an AT-ST frame, with the cockpit modified for greater width to accommodate an axial heavy laser cannon, and the cheek blaster cannon from the AT-ST mounted underneath for anti-infantry defense. And I'd absolutely have an enclosed cockpit, because shrapnel, blast waves and sniper fire are still things even in the SWU.

But I digress. No, I don't have stats for them, and I almost certainly never will. The only vehicle from Solo that even vaguely interests me is the AT Hauler, which I also have serious issues with.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the previous post, I think I've come up with a useful compromise as far as the AT-DT. While Disney fumbled the fluff for the -DT, it does make some sense as an inexpensive, mass-produced mobile fire support, sort of like an anti-tank gun emplacement with legs. On a similar note, as I've been re-working the artillery stats, I've been struggling with what to call the guns themselves. For a while, I've been using 'howitzer', but it just seems too real-world for me.

So, what I'm going to do is pull the 'artillery cannon' from the AT-DT and give it a Light Mass Driver (stats found in this post, similar to the Mass Driver cannon found on Clone Wars-era walkers like the AT-TE and AT-AP. Mass Drivers are only usable in direct-fire mode, and the individual projectiles are energy-sheathed, in much the same way as a bowcaster or a proton torpedo. Then, with 'artillery cannon' freed up, I'll use it as the designation for ballistic-fire-capable cannon used for artillery missions.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so...

My attempt to write stats for Fractalsponge's AT-HA has turned into a full-fledged re-write of my Artillery Cannon and Artillery Rocket Launcher stats. I tried to write some generic weapon stats for Heavy, Medium and Light Artillery Cannon and Artillery Rocket Launchers, and the stats ended up hugely bloated with the stats for the various possible warhead types. What I ended up doing instead was editing the Ballistic Artillery rules so that, rather than statting out Damage and the like for all the shell and rocket types, I gave them modifiers that are applied to the base Damage of the cannon itself.

Say, for example, that an Artillery Cannon has a Damage of 7D (Walker-Scale). It's targeting an underground bunker, so it loads a Concussion shell, with a Damage Modifier of +2D. So, when rolling the Damage for that attack, the cannon rolls the modified Damage of 9D, rather than the 7D listed on its stat block.

I still need to work out how different Damage will affect some of the more exotic and specialized rounds like the Jamming and Minefield rounds, but for now, I'll at least be able to write up basic Artillery Cannon stats that include a link back to the main Artillery Rules post.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: