The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The LIBRARY of FAN-MADE SUPPLEMENTS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> The LIBRARY of FAN-MADE SUPPLEMENTS Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Glad I could help you in whatever small ways I have. I've only played D6 Legend a couple times in my life and it has been a long time (the DC superheroes game and Hercules & Xena). I have those two games. I also have Mythic D6 but mostly out of loyalty to my friend, game designer Jerry Grayson. I've never played that. Another friend of mine is a big D6 Legend advocate. I've always felt you lose too much nuance with it, and I've never had a player group that didn't like adding up the dice results of standard D6.

I'm still interested in seeing the end result of your success-based Star Wars game when you are done with it.

Thank you will - your input and that of others here has been absolutely essential.

While I personally never had a problem with adding dice, some of my players were a bit ....slower. and, I have to admit, it is incredibly fast - especially with colored dice (1-3 is colored red, 4-6 is blue). you can roll six dice and get a total in amazing speeds.

Result Levels ... how well did you do?
One thing that works really well - as covered in mythic d6 - is the easy concept of determining how well a character did ABOVE the basic success level. This is introduced in later versions of D6 (adventure, open d6 etc.) and that is the concept of for how much better a player beat a difficulty could mean something.

Result Points
Result points refer to the difference between the skill roll and the difficulty. The gamemaster can use the result points to decide how well the
character completed the task

There are guidelines on this, and even suggestions on how to divide the result into levels. The D6 player book and GM guide refines this even further into something called Margin of Failure, and Margin of Success.

Margin of failure (MF): when an action, opposed or unopposed, fails, the difference between the difficulty and the dice roll is called MF.

Margin of success (MS): when an action, opposed or unopposed, succeeds, the difference between the dice roll and the difficulty is called MS.

These concepts are incredibly useful in giving bonuses, or determining just how well (or how bad) a skill result is. Usually, there is a scale, similar to the difficulty level - to judge the result.

Now, back to Mythic and legend, and my success system.
The concept for a margin or success or failure translates easily into success dice - get one more success than necessary - that is one. get one die less - that is one level of failure.

This enables some very easy to use level shifting and simplification of mechanics.

Now, all of this sounds .... kind of ...meh.
But it does translate well - and the precedent is already there in D6 - look at all the skills that say "if you fail by this much, this happens" from first aid to trying to use a light saber.

This system was later refined, and expanded - I use it a lot in my house rules. it is everywhere in mythic d6 as well (which is really good rules wise - but a bit too focused on supers for my tastes)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NEW --> Welcome to Demuria (adventure)

This is new on the Rancor Pit Library (link in my signature). This is a short adventure for a group of Imperial Stormtroopers, created by Katsuhiko JiNNai and translated into English. Thanks, Katsuhiko!

In accordance to some feedback I removed some of the "NEW" labels if they were older than last issue of AJ (November).

And I finally remembered how to create anchors on web pages so I also further updated the Library by adding a Table of Contents at the top for the different categories, so you can click on one and go straight to a section. No matter how much you've scrolled from that point, hitting the back button in your browser will then take you back to the top the page.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: The Force Compendium Reply with quote

UPDATED --> The Force Compendium

Clear your cache and check out the newly updated version on the Library (link in my signature). Thanks, Forceally!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: OpenD6 Space Miniatures Rules Reply with quote

NEW --> OpenD6 Space Miniatures

I found this today, posted by its creator on an RPG forum. From what I understand, it is a straight adaptation from Star Wars Miniatures rules, with the Star Wars IP removed, like how the D6 Legend document is just the DC Universe IP removed from that game. I've never played the miniature game but others might find this useful or convenient.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Altobanor
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rules Upgrade Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xjD1YOe0WRHpGkr-4w1ZVOpLL3FImEAu

Is this the right place? I cleared my cache and the document still has the big space in between the 1 and D.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. For some reason, it's not showing my latest version so I just created a new document with a version number that has removed the space. Try the new document.

Brian
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: 1e Rules Upgrade (text) & Character Development Workshee Reply with quote

Altobanor wrote:
Whill wrote:
I cleared my cache and the document still has the big space in between the 1 and D.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. For some reason, it's not showing my latest version so I just created a new document with a version number that has removed the space. Try the new document.

Thank you! I updated the document in the Library to the new version.

I also added new document to the Library: a stylish single-page worksheet based on the one in Heroes & Rogues p.29, created by Ambrose Grimm.

NEW --> Character Development Worksheet [Heroes & Rogues]

The Library link is in my signature below.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Clear your cache Reply with quote

Clear your cache and check out the newly updated version on the Library (link in my signature). Thanks, Forceally!

Please see this thread about this and upcoming updates.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Trick or Treat!

NEW --> Dinger's Interactive Character Sheet - 2e (Blue Vader)
NEW --> Dinger's Interactive Character Sheet - 2e (R&E)

NEW --> Dinger's Interactive Character Sheet - 1e

Check out the Library link in my signature to and look for these. These are fillable characters sheets very close to the published versions. They're beautiful. Thanks, Dinger!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in time for Christmas, Forceally has gifted us with an updated edition. Check it out in the Rancor Pit Library!

Quote:

Remember your clear your browser's cache first to make sure you get the latest update!

Thank you, Forceally.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: OpenD6 Space Miniatures Rules; Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I found this today, posted by its creator on an RPG forum. From what I understand, it is a straight adaptation from Star Wars Miniatures rules, with the Star Wars IP removed, like how the D6 Legend document is just the DC Universe IP removed from that game. I've never played the miniature game but others might find this useful or convenient.

How did i miss an update on my Birthday? Hmnnn...
For a time, we had integrated the Minis into our rpg games, and we all had a mini to represent our character. I had gotten most of my SW minis from friends, and collected Micro Machines. My collection is not complete...

Whill wrote:
Just in time for Christmas, Forceally has gifted us with an updated edition. Check it out in the Rancor Pit Library!

Quote:

Remember your clear your browser's cache first to make sure you get the latest update!

Thank you, Forceally.

I have a few things to do first but i will be checking this eventually!
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenD6 Space Miniatures Rules; Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Whill wrote:

How did i miss an update on my Birthday? Hmnnn...
For a time, we had integrated the Minis into our rpg games, and we all had a mini to represent our character. I had gotten most of my SW minis from friends, and collected Micro Machines. My collection is not complete...

Whill wrote:

Quote:

Thank you, Forceally.

I have a few things to do first but i will be checking this eventually!

I tried using minis and the scaled ship models, such as a Lambda shuttle and AT-AT back in the 90's and the game went from an RPG to a miniatures game that just didn't feel right at all. Fast forward almost 30 years and the only way I play is virtually with tactical maps and graphics. For some reason, I don't feel the same way as I did back then... it still feels like the Star Wars RPG even though I use tactical maps. I am not sure why...
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem with using minis in the RPG is that it's difficult to get a mini that truly represents a PC character concept, unless you work backwards and create a concept based on the minis you have, which is very limiting. Even if I have a Ithorian mini I may want my Ithorian mini to dress totally differently.

Another problem is you have to have a lot of minis to represent everything or else you are using a mix of minis and non-minis. For some reason, a mix is unappealing to me; I'd rather be all one or the other. It'd be neat to own a massive collections of minis to represent everything they have made minis for, but I do not have the finances to collect that. Even if money was no object, I would still have the first problem mentioned above. They simply don't make a mini for everything I can imagine for my game. So if I was so rich that I could contract massive amounts of custom minis to be made, then maybe.

So my game is staged in the theater of the mind, characters and things can look however they are imagined and described. When graphical representation is really needed for tactical situations, we use dice and continue using the mind's eye.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: "GG13" Reply with quote

I received a question by PM and thought I should share it publicly, because for every 1 person asking a question there are probably 10 or more with the same question who aren't asking it...

Quote:
...in the Supplements for Films section of the Library, and both The Phantom Menace & Rogue One are labeled Galaxy Guide 13, it's a bit confusing... Wouldn't Rogue One be GG17 or 19? If we're going by order the films were made?

Fanworks are generally titled by those who make them, including the use of the "Galaxy Guide" designation and the numbering. There is no centralized fan document naming authority board. But "Galaxy Guide 13" is special case and I am part of the confusion around it.

The original "Galaxy Guide 13" focusing on scoundrel characters was proposed at sometime between the 90s or early aughts. But like a lot of projects, it was never realized. See the rest of the story below.

Whill wrote:
For many years, the legendary "Galaxy Guide" for Scoundrels was commonly believed to have existed at one time but was somehow lost to the SW D6 community. When other fan works designated as Galaxy Guides began coming out, they started numbering them with 14 out the hope that the lost GG (13) would be found someday.

The fully realized "GG 13" doesn't actually exist and never did. What actually exists are a couple draft documents for aspects of the abandoned project. They were located in the zip file referenced above. So it seems that someone who started the project was very vocal about it, but after it was abandoned a false memory of it actually being completed eventually pervaded through the community. The files that exist are very disappointing when compared to the false memory of a completed fan work.

Long before the historical source of the legend had ben discovered, fan work GG14 was about the Dark Side of the EU, and GG15 was AotC. I, a skeptic not believing in the existence of GG13, made a GG-style cover for the TPM sourcebook and called that GG13 (and printed a book that combined it with GG14). There was also a nostalgia-fueled mock-up short document for Rogue One called GG13.

The "Galaxy Guide" for TPM in the RP Library is the original TPM Sourcebook with a cover I gave it for printing a personal copy. If you look at the the document itself, it is not actually titled GG 13. At the time we had GG 14 (the dark side) and 15 (AotC), and I was printing all three.

I thought it was stupid that the community was reserving "13" for a GG that didn't exist, just in case it ever turned up. I also thought at the time that the community would continue producing film-based fanworks, so I proposed that we continue the pattern matching the CT film GGs in the official GG series (1, 3, 5) and make the PT-based GGs be 13, 15, 17. But no one else wanted to rename the TPM Sourcebook as a GG (or make a new GG for TPM). So I made a front GG13 cover for TPM planning to just rename the documents as I saw fit for my personal copies. I was mainly only interested in realizing physical PT film GGs but planned on also printing the in-between issues for "series continuity." GG16 came out, and then a non-RP-affiliated GG17 came out.

The Rogue One book is designated GG13, but that was made by a former WEG author who probably wasn't following the fan community's fan books, and it isn't actually a GG anyway. It is just a brief mock-up nostalgia piece made just for fun, continued directly from official WEG numbering since the RO film is very WEG-flavored.

When I created the Library, I just put my PDF for TPM Sourcebook in there (AotC is still the only post-1983 film that ever got a proper GG treatment by fans). There isn't any rhyme or reason to the fan GG numbering system anyway, and now we know the original "GG13 Soundrels" was never actually finished–We have two partial draft components in the AOL zip file. So to this day, my renamed/recovered TPM Sourcebook is the closest thing we have to an actual "GG13".

I am sorry for my part in the confusion.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! That's good to know, & makes a fair bit of sense! Thank you!
I'll have to check out those AOL files for Scoundrels!
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
One problem with using minis in the RPG is that it's difficult to get a mini that truly represents a PC character concept, unless you work backwards and create a concept based on the minis you have, which is very limiting. Even if I have a Ithorian mini I may want my Ithorian mini to dress totally differently.

Another problem is you have to have a lot of minis to represent everything or else you are using a mix of minis and non-minis. For some reason, a mix is unappealing to me; I'd rather be all one or the other. It'd be neat to own a massive collections of minis to represent everything they have made minis for, but I do not have the finances to collect that. Even if money was no object, I would still have the first problem mentioned above. They simply don't make a mini for everything I can imagine for my game. So if I was so rich that I could contract massive amounts of custom minis to be made, then maybe.

So my game is staged in the theater of the mind, characters and things can look however they are imagined and described. When graphical representation is really needed for tactical situations, we use dice and continue using the mind's eye.

One thing that occurs to me is that - some day - 3D printing will be such that you will be able to make any mini for anything one could imagine. There still is significant cost involved, and a lot of time and effort. Not to mention storage issues.

I agree that a mix is not desirable.

That's why I use cardboard counters in my games. I can find something for just about everything you could imagine in the SW universe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: