The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Skill: Instruction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Skill: Instruction Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often has this scenario - of a teacher having to teach a group of students - actually come up in a game, though? In my head, I've always seen it as a one-on-one encounter off-screen between missions somewhere. Instruction would mainly be a skill rolled by the GM to modify a PC's Time Spent / CP Cost to improve a Skill.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In game, the ONLY three times i have personally seen a Group of students, learning from one person, was in Sparks, at seminars, where they were all learning something our group says you NEED TO find a teacher IN GAME for.. Such as with Rebel special forces martial arts, or jedi lore..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also see it if a PC were needing to train up a squad or platoon of troops in preparation for a specific event, like a Magnificent Seven situation where mercenaries have to train a bunch of farmers how to shoot before the bandits come back to raid the town.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done a module once, where that was the story of it. We got stranded on this 1830's like wild west planet, and had to 'save the town' from a group of bandits with 'futureistic weaponry, so had to train the town up, to help defend it...
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a 1to 1 gaining a large bonus with a teacher that has the insttuction skill(s)

lets say he gains another +1 and +2 on a good roll.

with the Instruction skill a teacher can teach upto the number of students = to his dice. 3D 03 students etc . This is with no penalty.
he can DOUBLE this at a .1D penalty, this would make a single instructor for a "team" size unit 1-4 and make it failry easy to keep track of group sessions.

with a teacher with 6D to his instruction skill he can teach upto 12 students at a -1D I think this should cover some of the youngling groups at least bit in movies and the slightly larger groups in the animated series.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
How about a 1to 1 gaining a large bonus with a teacher that has the instruction skill(s)

Because 1-to-1 is the default for the rest of the rules. Perform one task at basic Difficulty, but if you increase the number of tasks, you incur a penalty. One common rule for everything should be the ideal unless it absolutely doesn't work. I'd be okay with a shallower slope for the penalty, which is why I suggested a x4 = -1D formula, but it's way easier for the GM to remember as few special rules as possible.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could see an easier roll to TEACH just one student.. And make it one student per pip in instruction.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Student-teacher ratio is a factor of learning in real life, but if you are talking a class then that seems like academic learning represented by the scholar skill and some advanced skills. I don't know if you really need rules for that. The main idea of this thread seemed to be about the ability to teach/instruct be a factor in the one-on-one training of improving skills.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had actually written up a whole lot of rules regarding this type of subject. I do not currently have access to those, but the gist of what I did was something like this:

A Teaching skill was used, can't remember if there was one in SW, but if not, it fits under Knowledge. The Teach makes a check using this skill, with the difficulty being the Students current skill level (roll it out). In the event of multiple students, I used the highest skill level and increased it based on the combined actions rules. If successful, then all students gained the benefit of skill increase costs for the skills being taught being halved following the next game session (based on the stated RAW for a Jedi learning from a Master).

I had some additional notes and rules regarding being taught in multiple skill categories by multiple teachers as well as academic institutions...but I would need to find my notes.

I do remember I had made notes that if 1 character is acting as a teacher for multiple skills (and sometimes this is needed, say for Starfighter combat skills) they had a MAP for each additional skill being taught to their teaching roll. This was based on the idea that the teacher needed to prepare differing lesson plans, materials, and notes, and spend less time on each individual skill.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W/r/t the skill write-up I posted, an instructor can fail their Instruction roll and the students will still improve; it will just take more time and effort (in the form of CPs) for them to do so. Class size having an adverse effect on education outcomes is a real-world thing, so applying a penalty as the class size increases represents this nicely.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple updates...

I went ahead and added Instruction to my Index, under New Skills on the House Rules post.

I also went through and wrote up the details for my above suggestion of increasing the Instruction penalty every time the number of students being taught quadruples. Additionally, I broke down penalties by pips, up to just over 1,000 students. I can't really imagine circumstances where a character would be teaching that many people, but I figured better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Link to Skill Write-Up

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
A couple updates...

I went ahead and added Instruction to my Index, under New Skills on the House Rules post.

I also went through and wrote up the details for my above suggestion of increasing the Instruction penalty every time the number of students being taught quadruples. I also went through and broke down penalties by pips, up to just over 1,000 students. I can't really imagine circumstances where a character would be teaching that many people, but I figured better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Link to Skill Write-Up

Nice.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In retrospect, I can also see this skill coming in handy for my Capital Ship Combat concept in longer campaigns. A ship captain with dice in Instruction could potentially use it to train up his crew over time, increasing the ship's Crew Skills on successful rolls.

Not quite sure how I'd set up the rules, though...

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In retrospect, I can also see this skill coming in handy for my Capital Ship Combat concept in longer campaigns. A ship captain with dice in Instruction could potentially use it to train up his crew over time, increasing the ship's Crew Skills on successful rolls.

That makes sense. Designing and implementing good drills could make the crew better.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what we did in the military.. DRILL, like it was real, so when it WAS real, we knew what to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: