The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Edge Studio announces long-delayed continuation of FFG SW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Edge Studio announces long-delayed continuation of FFG SW
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Edge Studio announces long-delayed continuation of FFG SW Reply with quote

https://edge-studio.net/star-wars-edge/

So it looks like it is no longer FFG sub-contracting Edge Studio to make their RPG. It seems Lucasfilm split up the game license and Edge is now an official licensee for the SW RPG.

However, there is no change to the original plan of Edge reprinting FFG SW books and creating new books for that line.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news.
Means more star wars for us all.

However I never really understood the FFG system, but that is just me
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFG Star Wars had good art, and some decent fluff. Maybe that will continue. The game system is crunchier than d20 with an end result of less nuance, which means crunch for the sale of crunch, which means thicker, higher-priced books. I wouldn't be surprised if this all continues in the new stuff.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt the ffg stuff to be both hit and miss (from my perspective).

Things I did like;
Nice layout, design, art, information etc. Some sections could be better - but overall, well done.

Excellent source and updated concepts - by coming after so much IP, they were able to present a more accurate representation of the sw universe - some of the content was really good

Excellent source for other games - from the adventures to the source books - a lot of well written stuff - the lords of nall hutta, and the rise of the separatist books I found very useful.

Morality system - it is very difficult to try and manage the good and bad in sw, and even worse when the dark side is supposed to be a balance to jedi being OP - while FAR from perfect - I found the morality and virtue system and mechanics in force and destiny to be the best take on this system I have seen (I am incorporating it into my new d6 campaign).

Non jedi are very viable - plenty to do and power up for non-jedi. very nice.

The force powers - love the force power trees - while a couple could be better, overall like them a lot - and their organization.

Lots of variant force users - so, a lot of jedi variants, and other options - I especially like how they use a lot about there are tons of force users who either never got found by the jedi, or did not make the cut - and kind of show what that character might do after not being trained by the jedi.

Things I did not;
The three books - yes, I get it that depending on what kind of campaign you want, you only need one - and it could have more depth. But overall it felt confusing or tacked on.

The dice - yes, ffg players love the dice - but d6 players have had mishaps and fun stuff for years. They just felt too convoluted, and that the same results could have been achieved by other means.

Too many modifiers to skill checks - with all the dice and other things going into a skill check (yes, the different inputs can be cool) - it feels like your skill rank almost is a secondary concern and only a minor part.

An intangible feel - while there were many parts I did like - some just did not feel like it jelled - hard to explain why.

The abstract combat / maps - I am my groups love maps and seeing what is going on - yes, their system works - but it just feels ....off. highly subjective, I know.

Overall
My friends who play FFG absolutely love it, and while I like D6 better (or at least one we have all house ruled over the years) , I can certainly respect some of the content.
lecher000
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
I felt the ffg stuff to be both hit and miss (from my perspective).

Things I did like;
Nice layout, design, art, information etc. Some sections could be better - but overall, well done.

Excellent source and updated concepts - by coming after so much IP, they were able to present a more accurate representation of the sw universe - some of the content was really good

Excellent source for other games - from the adventures to the source books - a lot of well written stuff - the lords of nall hutta, and the rise of the separatist books I found very useful.

Morality system - it is very difficult to try and manage the good and bad in sw, and even worse when the dark side is supposed to be a balance to jedi being OP - while FAR from perfect - I found the morality and virtue system and mechanics in force and destiny to be the best take on this system I have seen (I am incorporating it into my new d6 campaign).

Non jedi are very viable - plenty to do and power up for non-jedi. very nice.

The force powers - love the force power trees - while a couple could be better, overall like them a lot - and their organization.

Lots of variant force users - so, a lot of jedi variants, and other options - I especially like how they use a lot about there are tons of force users who either never got found by the jedi, or did not make the cut - and kind of show what that character might do after not being trained by the jedi.

Things I did not;
The three books - yes, I get it that depending on what kind of campaign you want, you only need one - and it could have more depth. But overall it felt confusing or tacked on.

The dice - yes, ffg players love the dice - but d6 players have had mishaps and fun stuff for years. They just felt too convoluted, and that the same results could have been achieved by other means.

Too many modifiers to skill checks - with all the dice and other things going into a skill check (yes, the different inputs can be cool) - it feels like your skill rank almost is a secondary concern and only a minor part.

An intangible feel - while there were many parts I did like - some just did not feel like it jelled - hard to explain why.

The abstract combat / maps - I am my groups love maps and seeing what is going on - yes, their system works - but it just feels ....off. highly subjective, I know.

Overall
My friends who play FFG absolutely love it, and while I like D6 better (or at least one we have all house ruled over the years) , I can certainly respect some of the content.

I honestly think their "custom dice" was just a way of forcing people to buy in to more of their product. What better way to get more money than to force players to buy dice that is only applicable for your game and only produced by your company?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the FFG game okay, but prefer D6.

I've heard that the starship combat system doesn't really work well. It's one thing that we never really dealt with in our campaign (saw a little bit of it in a con game and it seemed okay).
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dicebreaker.com/series/star-wars-roleplaying-game/news/new-star-wars-roleplaying-games-edge-studio-reprints

Apparently there was a misunderstanding from the original announcement so Edge wanted to clarify that, while they do now have the RPG license to do so, they are not creating a new SW RPG or even a new edition of the FFG game. They will merely be reprinting some existing FFG SW books, and creating new supplements for the existing FFG SW RPG.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: No New RPG Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
https://www.dicebreaker.com/series/star-wars-roleplaying-game/news/new-star-wars-roleplaying-games-edge-studio-reprints

Apparently there was a misunderstanding from the original announcement so Edge wanted to clarify that, while they do now have the RPG license to do so, they are not creating a new SW RPG or even a new edition of the FFG game. They will merely be reprinting some existing FFG SW books, and creating new supplements for the existing FFG SW RPG.

I've been seeing some continued misunderstandings about this on the internet so I thought I would bump this. FFG's game license was divided up and Edge Studios now has the RPG license.

However, they are choosing to not produce a new RPG. They are not even making a new edition of the FFG game. They are going to reprint some existing FFG books and make some new books for the existing FFG RPG. In other words, they are only continuing the FFG game line. FYI.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually skipped out on the FFG stuff and I sort of regret it now. I'd be curious to see if these reprints will be easy to find. Sometimes theres a lower second print run and that makes prices jump.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:59 am    Post subject: Edge Studio "FFG Star Wars" RPG Reply with quote

Edge Studio "FFG Star Wars" RPG main page

Free Web Resources

Reprint News (May 2022)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heartened that they're going to keep the line going. They look like they have some really interesting ideas for supplements. I kind of wish I had the money to just collect them, but given that I don't really see myself playing the game anytime in the near future, I wound up cutting myself off after a few of the F&D books.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great for scourses and such IMO, but perosnally I never understood the system.

I once asked how far is medium range but there was no given "range" other than medium, and how a tie fighter could have a silouette bigger than an x wing when an x wing is actually 2x the size.

Then comes compliments on ships, a star destroyer according to the silouette rules can not hold the canon number of fighters etc etc...

so I never really understood the system at all, but the one time I played it, it was fun of course it was star wars and I loved my zabrak gunslinger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: