The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 Space template creation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> D6 Space template creation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purzelkater
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:18 am    Post subject: D6 Space template creation Reply with quote

The D6 Space book describes character creations based on templates and also has included some ready to use templates.
Well, I (as the GM) would like to create my own templates I can give my players. But sadly I don't know how I can create a template following the rules. Did I miss something in the book? Or where are the rules for creating a template in the D6 Space book?

Kind regards
from Purzelkater
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: D6 Space template creation Reply with quote

Purzelkater wrote:
The D6 Space book describes character creations based on templates and also has included some ready to use templates.
Well, I (as the GM) would like to create my own templates I can give my players. But sadly I don't know how I can create a template following the rules. Did I miss something in the book? Or where are the rules for creating a template in the D6 Space book?

Kind regards
from Purzelkater

I've come to realize that D6 Space is poorly written and organized. Start with Defined Limits on book pages 9-10.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Purzelkater
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Whill! I think I got it. So a template is like creating a character using the Defined Limits rules but without using the 7 skill dices at this point. Plus some kind of nebulous (dis-)advantage addings.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purzelkater wrote:
Thank you, Whill! I think I got it. So a template is like creating a character using the Defined Limits rules but without using the 7 skill dices at this point. Plus some kind of nebulous (dis-)advantage addings.

Essentially yes.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: D6 Space Reply with quote

Purzelkater wrote:
Thank you, Whill! I think I got it. So a template is like creating a character using the Defined Limits rules but without using the 7 skill dices at this point.

Sure. That's a start.

Please reply and tell us about the D6 Space campaign you are planning.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Purzelkater
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: D6 Space Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Please reply and tell us about the D6 Space campaign you are planning.

Surely. Smile It's not just a campaign but (hopefully) a whole rpg. First I have to translate D6 Space partly to make a rulebook, combine it with my settings idea and so one. I had this idea for so long on my mind but only now the drive to realize them.

It is inspired by Firefly (in terms of storytelling) and Babylon 5 (in terms of tech level) but with an original setting and story. I'm at the very beginning, so most parts are just on my mind right now and needed to write down. Very Happy

The idea is to have a campaign with an overarching story and then individual self-contained adventures, like on a tv show. So you will have a complete "cast"with different roles. Each role has it's own template (in terms of D6 rules) and the players can choose the role they like and can complete them according to their own ideas. The background story will be designed in such a way that there will be both male and female versions for all roles. And there's no need to fill every single role as well (when the group has fewer players).
This concept is based on the german indie rpg "New Hong Kong Story" where players are playing actors they play characters on a movie or tv show. I'm a freelance writer for this rpg and it makes much fun to play. It breaks the fourth wall (Is this the right term on English?), because you are acting as an actor. So off-game discussions are mostly in-game discussion of the actors - like they can call "Cut! Sorry, but that scene was lousy, we have to shoot it again." And then you go back to the movie and play your role.
The players are much more spontaneous and dare to do things that they would not try in a "normal" role-playing game, because the game is not a "real world simulation" but a film shoot. There are also scenes where you ask yourself "Hey, that doesn't make any sense at all!" - Yes, but it's a lot of fun!

But back to the story... okay, how to start? Well, the main character will be a man (or woman), ex-military of his home sector, out of service after he was wounded on a special mission, gone back to his home world. He had become a farmer, worked on his own ranch. Has met a nice woman (or man), merried and got a child, a girl. 12 years later, another war, his homeworld was attacked, his wife died, his daughter disappered. Everyone is telling him his daughter was killed on the attack like his wife. But he don't belevie this, he can't. He sold his ranch, took all his money, bought a (space)ship and has started looking for his daughter.
4-5 years later, the rpg starts.
You will have a ship and a group of characters (each with their own background story). The overarching story of the first campaign (call it season Very Happy) will be the search for the daughter. Some hints and pieces the story can follow and the players get more and more information about the background of the war, the kidnapping and the daughter. The individual adventures then continue to tell the story. The crew does jobs like transport or smuggling, but also different tasks on planets.

Okay, I hope this was not to much text and reasonably understandable.
Here is a first draft for the cover of the rulebook. The rpg is called "Callisto" after the name of the daughter (and the ship).

Kind regards
from Purzelkater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: