The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Forum cookies issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Forum cookies issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Forum cookies issue Reply with quote

Hey Whill, or anyone who understands web site programming...

I've noticed when browsing the forums that the flags for new posts in threads will act differently depending how I click on them.

If I click on a thread title and read through a thread, then hit Back to that sub-forum's index, and subsequently back to the main forum index, all the "new post" flags/icons are still indicating what's what.

But if I click on the "Jump to new posts" icon on a thread title (say in a long thread with multiple pages), when I go back to the index page, the entire forum's worth of "new" post icons has now cleared and are no longer indicating what's "new", as opposed to just that thread being cleared and the remaining ones still flagged - follow?

Is this a known forum bug or just the way it's supposed to work?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum cookies issue Reply with quote

Ziz wrote:
Hey Whill, or anyone who understands web site programming...

I've noticed when browsing the forums that the flags for new posts in threads will act differently depending how I click on them.

If I click on a thread title and read through a thread, then hit Back to that sub-forum's index, and subsequently back to the main forum index, all the "new post" flags/icons are still indicating what's what.

But if I click on the "Jump to new posts" icon on a thread title (say in a long thread with multiple pages), when I go back to the index page, the entire forum's worth of "new" post icons has now cleared and are no longer indicating what's "new", as opposed to just that thread being cleared and the remaining ones still flagged - follow?

Is this a known forum bug or just the way it's supposed to work?

I don't know if I'll be able to help you because that is not the way it works for me. If I click on the orange icon for new posts in a thread, read them, and then hit back arrow to go back to the list, only that thread's orange icon is gone for me, not all of them. The rest of the threads with new posts still have the orange icon.

I presume that you do allow cookies for the Rancor Pit (you should as there are no ads so no ad tracking). What OS and browser are you experiencing this in?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not blocking the forum cookies because I'm still logged in when I come back - I don't have to re-login every time. Chrome on Windows10.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to suggest try to stay logged in and see if that helps, I have no cookie issues but then again I don't logg in and out but stay logged in
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziz wrote:
Yeah, I'm not blocking the forum cookies because I'm still logged in when I come back - I don't have to re-login every time. Chrome on Windows10.

I primarily do the Rancor Pit on Mac Chrome, and I do not have it set to automatically log me in. I manually log in every single time. Doing each orange icon and going back to the list of threads has no effect on the other threads' orange icons. (In fact, if I just quickly look at posts and return to the list, the thread I clicked on often still has the orange icon.) I can't recreate your experience so I'm not sure what you can do.

One workaround is to just click on the white icon in the last post column, and then scroll up to the last post you remember seeing, and read down. (And on the list of threads, work from the bottom up, which most of probably already do.) Not as convenient as the full functionality of the orange icon, but a way to help keep straight what you've seen and not seen.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Chrome on Windows 10 as well.

What I do is open up a page with all the forum topics since my last visit. Then I right click and "open link in new tab" for each thread separately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: