The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Vibro weapons.. Do they always make a noise??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Vibro weapons.. Do they always make a noise?? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
While I know not everyone follows them - anyone remember if the vibro blades in the bad batch had a sound effect?

Me, personally- I think they make a noise.
I mean, come on - making cool sword fighting noises is half the fun of playing star wars (my players love the silly lightsaber sound effect apps....).

No, I didn't remember off the top of my head, but thankfully someone on YouTube compiled a lot of vibrolade parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPL8JFyObYk

No discernible constant hum, but it has a cool metallic sound when it is in action. Thanks for mentioning this.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
pakman wrote:
While I know not everyone follows them - anyone remember if the vibro blades in the bad batch had a sound effect?

Me, personally- I think they make a noise.
I mean, come on - making cool sword fighting noises is half the fun of playing star wars (my players love the silly lightsaber sound effect apps....).

No, I didn't remember off the top of my head, but thankfully someone on YouTube compiled a lot of vibrolade parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPL8JFyObYk

No discernible constant hum, but it has a cool metallic sound when it is in action. Thanks for mentioning this.

Considering he's basically an Infiltrator, it's plausible that he'd be carrying the silenced versions.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.... I should have known...

Quote:

Thanks whill, that was fun to - need to go watch BB again.

Anyway, I am going to go with most common ones make a slight sound, and cool stealthy versions do not (CRM point).

But that is just a way to give players more options really - and make an npc with a quiet one seem more cool.

Smile

Side note: In my game - purge troopers are also armed with "electrostatically charged virbro weapons" (insert techno babble here)
They can be used to parry against lightsabers without being chopped up easily. My game is a bunch of all post-order 66 force users on the run, not long after the clone wars - so a bit more emphasis on purge troopers and the inquisitorius.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
Anyway, I am going to go with most common ones make a slight sound, and cool stealthy versions do not (CRM point).

Yay me! The original source for vibroblades (Han Solo's Revenge) says that it "filled the air with an insistent hum," so take that for what you will.

Quote:
Side note: In my game - purge troopers are also armed with "electrostatically charged vibro weapons" (insert techno babble here)
They can be used to parry against lightsabers without being chopped up easily. My game is a bunch of all post-order 66 force users on the run, not long after the clone wars - so a bit more emphasis on purge troopers and the inquisitorius.

That works. I like the idea of weapons that allow a Jedi to go blade-to-blade without having to introduce another Force user. One of the things I enjoyed about the Hull 721 fan fiction was the introduction of an elite Jedi hunter stormtrooper team that had the skill and weaponry to cross swords with low-level Jedi and win.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vibro weapons.. Do they always make a noise?? Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Yay me! The original source for vibroblades (Han Solo's Revenge) says that it "filled the air with an insistent hum," so take that for what you will.

Thank you. The game stats for those don't mention the hum, so it is important to look at the source material, even if a GM ends up choosing to alter it for their game. I haven't read those books since the early 90s, but perhaps HSR was the original basis for my view on vibroweapons and I just forgot how I came to that conclusion.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

That works. I like the idea of weapons that allow a Jedi to go blade-to-blade without having to introduce another Force user. One of the things I enjoyed about the Hull 721 fan fiction was the introduction of an elite Jedi hunter stormtrooper team that had the skill and weaponry to cross swords with low-level Jedi and win.

That's why mine love using shotguns!!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
One of the things I enjoyed about the Hull 721 fan fiction was the introduction of an elite Jedi hunter stormtrooper team that had the skill and weaponry to cross swords with low-level Jedi and win.

That's why mine love using shotguns!!

If you want to see more detail as to what I'm talking about, read about 3/4 of the way down this chapter of Hull 721.

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought -
Since the reasoning for this question has to do with sneaking and stealth let's look at it differently. In real world situations, when soldiers are going on stealth ops, or night ops, they adjust and prepare their gear to reduce rattling, eliminate shine and reflections, etc... This is all skill and preparation that I feel would fall under the sneak skill use (the Higher the Die Code the better the character is at knowing how to move more quietly and prepare... could be as simple as not flicking the vibro blade on until the strike). So I would not impose a penalty to sneak since none is written into the core rules (unless a particularly large or noisy Vibro Weapon was used) but on a failed sneak I might explain it off as the hum of the vibro weapon being the noise that gives them away.

However, that is not to say that the Game Master should not adjust the modifiers and rules based on the situation. How much ambient noise is in the environment makes a huge difference, as does how alert the guards or person being snuck up on are. Applying reason is also good, after all no stealth penalty is listed for things like Chainsaws in D6 adventure but you can betcha I am going to impose one (unless this is happening in a very noisy location like a foundry or factory).

Just some thoughts.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. He could say, take a -1d penalty to his melee, with a free-action of switching the vibro part on, just as he's about to strike, much like drawing a pistol, or flicking it to stun from kill (or to kill from stun) is a no cost in the action rotation act, but it does impose a penalty to his shot.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question does a Vibro blade make noise if it drops to the faloor?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a vibroblade somehow activated in the woods, and nobody was around to hear it, would it really make a sound? Laughing
That1guy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I've always treated vibro weapons as if they're about as loud as your average "personal massager", certainly noticeable if someone turns one on in the same room as you but not necessarily something you'd notice over the ambient sounds of your average street or bar unless you were really listening for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: