The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force User's Handbook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Force User's Handbook Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I read Shadow of the Sith. I found a grain or two of useful info, but nothing significant. I don't recall where I read it, but something I read before reading the book talked about something that was relevant to the special section I started the Hangman's game on. Didn't spot it. If I had, I would have found a nugget of useful info instead of a grain or two.

In any case, that means the section in question is now more or less officially complete. This section includes several new Force powers that I consider separate from the other sections of my work. The section also includes updates to various powers from The Force Powers PDF.

In dealing with that section, I took inspiration from the RPGGamer.org site to cover everything in that section. Having completed that, I can now see how that can be of use to describe something that featured in a certain series that's now Legends. For years, I've wondered how I could incorporated the revelation/development, but the idea seemed somewhat redundant and resulted in a ridiculous number of "new powers". Now I can remove those "new powers" and streamline my idea completely. I am going to incorporate that idea in a new section I originally had no plans for.

Not only that, but based on the answers I got here, and looking through materials doing research for the Holocron section, I can also say I can include two new Force traditions - one of which has previously been mentioned in the addenda.

So here's the new progress list. And the Hangman's game I'm doing with the special section, I'm going to do for the new section I referred to in this update.

Progress list as it is:
Overall progress: 33.33% complete
New Force Powers: 66.7% complete.
Meditation exercise: 100% complete.
P----_--_-----------: 100% complete.
--------e: 0% complete
Lightsaber section: 0% complete.
Holocron/Sith Holocron section: 0% complete.
"Unique entities and worlds - tentative title": ?% complete.
Phase II powers: 0% complete

I have a question for you all, and it's important I get the answer because it'll determine if I need to rearrange the sections. I have a section dealing with training exercises, which includes lightsaber exercises, and the various lightsaber forms and powers immediately afterwards. As listed above, I'm going to include a lightsaber section - dealing with the design and construction of said weapon. Here is the question though:

The lightsaber section is going to be placed between the training section and the lightsaber forms/powers section. Seems appropriate. Most likely the Holocron section will be after the lightsaber forms/powers section. Let's call these four sections "the Block". Now lightsabers and holocrons weren't exclusive to the Jedi. The Sith used both, while dark Jedi used lightsabers. So should I keep "the Block" where it is now, or place "the Block" after the Sith Sorcery section?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should it be before the Sith section?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it should be like this:
Jedi Powers
Dark Side Powers
the Block
Sith Powers
Sith Sorcery Powers

Right? But the Holocron section will cover the Jedi Holocrons and Sith Holocrons. And I'll be relocating the various powers concerning the lightsaber - lightsaber construction, bleeding, cleanse, and harmonize lightsaber crystal to the Lightsaber section. So you can see why I feel that way about the shuffling of sections.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
So it should be like this:
Jedi Powers
Dark Side Powers
the Block
Sith Powers
Sith Sorcery Powers

Right? But the Holocron section will cover the Jedi Holocrons and Sith Holocrons. And I'll be relocating the various powers concerning the lightsaber - lightsaber construction, bleeding, cleanse, and harmonize lightsaber crystal to the Lightsaber section. So you can see why I feel that way about the shuffling of sections.

I forgot about Dark Side Powers. If the block is all the lightsaber and holocron stuff, then should it be after Jedi Powers? You can move Dark Side Powers to the end if you want the block to be between Jedi and Sith.

Forceally wrote:
Well I read Shadow of the Sith.

I know your focus was on the Force powers, but what did you think of the story itself. Any good?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Block will have the training section, the lightsaber section, the lightsaber forms/powers section, and the Holocron section. I got to check again, but right now, I have the training section and lightsaber forms/powers after the Jedi Powers and before Dark Side Powers. It's because I'm going to be moving the bleeding power into the lightsaber section, and deal with Sith holocrons that I'm asking whether or not I should place it where you suggest, or after the Sith Sorcery powers section.

As for the novel itself, it did a good job in setting up how Lando ended up on Passana and how Rey ended up on Jakku. About the one thing I dislike about this novel and the films is that in the Legends timeline, you could see that though Luke and Lando had their own lives, they were still a part of Han's and Leia's lives. There was that sense of family among all of them. That sense of family doesn't seem to exist in the Sequel novels and films.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got most of the small fries out of the way. The parts that required very little research. Now to get on to the remaining sections that require a good amount of research. Fortunately, I believe I got all the material I need for them.

Progress list as it is:
Overall progress: 50% complete
New Force Powers: 100% complete.
P----_--_-----t-----: 100% complete.
--------e: 100% complete
Lightsaber section: 0% complete.
Holocron/Sith Holocron section: 0% complete.

Right now, I have the training section and the lightsaber forms/powers after the Telepath powers and before the Force Dyad powers. The Dark Side powers come after the Force Dyad powers. The training section is based on info from the Jedi Academy Training Manual and Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim. They're aimed at training the Jedi. There's nothing in the description from either source that says the Dark Jedi and Sith can use these lessons in their training regimens. Nothing to say they do, but nothing to say they don't. And by Dark Jedi, I mean those who start off their training with drawing on the Dark Jedi. Not Jedi who serve the order, but then turn to the dark side like Pong Krell, Barriss Offee, Sora Bulq, and the Inquisitors do. The examples I listed - Jedi who turn to the dark side - more than likely used some of those training exercises in their training regimen. So I'm willing to have the training section remain where it is unless someone suggests otherwise.

As for the lightsaber forms and powers - that section is available for all lightsaber wielders - Jedi, Jensaarai, Dark Jedi, and Sith. I now want to place that section after the section I'm going to be introducing dealing with the construction of the lightsabers and the varieties the lightsaber can come in. Following the lightsaber forms and powers, we'll have the Holocron section. Both Jedi and Sith draw upon the information provided in these sections. So at the moment, I'm still undecided on whether or not to have the lightsaber forms and powers remain where they are and place the new sections before and after it, or move all three sections past the Sith Sorcery section.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: should I include note-worthy holocrons in the Holocron section?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how note worthy is note worthy. I'd say a few examples that wound up being major plot points in comics, TV, or novels would be reason enough to include them.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you're saying, cheshire. At the moment, to the best of my knowledge, there are more notable Sith holocrons than Jedi holocrons. Fortunately, I don't believe the number of Sith holocrons worthy of note is greater than 10.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a request to either cheshire or Whill. I finished the text of the Holocron section. I haven't detailed any new powers associated with it yet. Can I send you what I have and have you comment on it as to whether or not it flows smoothly or if it seems choppy and needs some more editing. If so, is there a way I can send you the Microsoft Word document?
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Here's a request to either cheshire or Whill. I finished the text of the Holocron section. I haven't detailed any new powers associated with it yet. Can I send you what I have and have you comment on it as to whether or not it flows smoothly or if it seems choppy and needs some more editing. If so, is there a way I can send you the Microsoft Word document?

I have no Rancor Pit policy concerns with you, your document, or its planned revisions. I'm only a mediocre writer/editor, and have a lot going on right now with my new job's work load, my son's extracurricular activities, and my church volunteerism dramatically increasing lately. If you don't find any other better editor, you can email the document to forums -at- rancorpit -dot- com, but I have no idea when I would be able to get to it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll keep you in mind.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, being sick at the end of August and beginning of September slowed things down. But I'm well enough to continue with this work. And I can now say that I have the Holocron section complete. Yet in doing that section, I came across two powers that I haven't listed before.

Progress list as it is:
Overall progress: 57.5% complete
New Force Powers: 60% complete.
P----_--_-----t-----: 100% complete.
----s---e: 100% complete
Lightsaber section: ?% complete.
Holocron/Sith Holocron section: 100% complete.

Next step is the lightsaber section. This might go faster since while there's more info about the lightsaber than the holocrons, it's already been organized, so it's just a matter of merging the sources together into a coherent format for this work. And the powers for that section has already been completed, so I just need to move them.

As I said before, the one bad part about updating my work is updating the table of contents and appendix with new page numbers. So I'm hoping I can get everything else done by Thanksgiving so I have time to tackle those sections. Here's a clue as to what I'm facing. The last time I made my work available on these boards, it was 272 pages long. Right now, it's 302. I got two sections to complete before incorporating the two new powers I found and any new powers coming out with the Phase II books and comics. If I weren't such a fan of Star Wars, and if you weren't such a fan of my works, I doubt I would put up with this. I need to take the rest of the week off before tackling the next section.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question about the next section:

I'm going to be including the various crystals that can be used in the lightsaber, including the ones mentioned in FFG, KOTOR, and KOTORII. The ones in KOTOR and KOTORII have descriptions of what effect they have, but the damage they inflict - ion, flame, etc. - is in d20 stats. 1d6, 1d8, etc. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can convert them to WEG D6 system? Those that do 1d6 I can made 1D, but what about the others?
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Question about the next section:

I'm going to be including the various crystals that can be used in the lightsaber, including the ones mentioned in FFG, KOTOR, and KOTORII. The ones in KOTOR and KOTORII have descriptions of what effect they have, but the damage they inflict - ion, flame, etc. - is in d20 stats. 1d6, 1d8, etc. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can convert them to WEG D6 system? Those that do 1d6 I can made 1D, but what about the others?

As someone who has played both d6 and d20 (and now back to d6) I have two suggestions;

1 - try to figure out the relative values - and maybe increase something with a d8 or d10 by like +1 or +2 per die. (like 3d8 convert that to 4d6).

2 - Don't bother trying to directly convert. Really.
Just look at them, judge how strong they seem to be story wise, and find a relative match in d6. Just find an existing D6 item, and use those stats.

best of luck in your efforts, and thank you for sharing with everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: