The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Earth-like, Multi terrain Planets?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Earth-like, Multi terrain Planets? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect a planet like Hoth probably was mostly ice, though, and that the Alliance set up Echo Base in the warmest (relatively speaking) region on the planet (equatorial band, probably).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I expect a planet like Hoth probably was mostly ice, though, and that the Alliance set up Echo Base in the warmest (relatively speaking) region on the planet (equatorial band, probably).

Yeah. And Hoth has (not sure if this came later or if the team envisioned it during filming of Empire) subterranean ecology that is kept warm by hot springs and the like.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Earth-like, Multi terrain Planets? Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Desert planets (whether its realistic or not) are a staple of space adventure because of 1) filming in California and 2) the old DUNE books. Heck even Arrakis had ice caps though.

It follows that Arrakis would also have transition terrains between the desert and ice caps, such temperate plains and tundra.

TauntaunScout wrote:
Some planets in WEG publications are explicitly Earth-like, multi-terrain, planets.
All the "swamp", "jungle" or "forest" planets are at the least gonna have ice caps, oceans, and actually be a mix of forest/jungle/swamp depending on how far you are from the poles/equator and land's relative elevation. A "forest" planet is really just a barely inhabited, totally pre-industrial planet. Like earth for the vast majority of its existence, a world of wilderness.

Yep.

TauntaunScout wrote:
Officially in the 80's, Endor had deserts. This came up in multiple Ewoks media.

The Forest Moon of Endor also had seasons, including winters with snow.

TauntaunScout wrote:
If I were to judge it based on science and not the latest "Visual Dictionary" or whatever, Hoth is probably in a long ice age that has reached all the way to its equator. I'd guess it's only been an "ice planet" for about 30,000 years and will probably be a "forest" planet in another 30,000 years. That's a long time to an Solo but not long in the 3 billion year history of life on Hoth.

Side Rant: I really hate the "Luke should have died in the tauntaun" thing that cites a bunch of temperatures from West End. That means West End got the temperatures wrong, because Luke DID survive. Duh. Also tauntauns have natural anti-freeze in their blood (like Terran moose) so it's not gonna produce the same thermodynamics as leaving him wet with water.

That's all reasonable.

TauntaunScout wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Yeah. And Hoth has (not sure if this came later or if the team envisioned it during filming of Empire) subterranean ecology that is kept warm by hot springs and the like.

That's one way that the planet could support the lifeforms it has, especially if it were 30,000 years into an ice age.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: