The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skill improvement costs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Skill improvement costs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leniad
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Skill improvement costs Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

From my notes:

Skill Points [=XP]
Increase is by Pips.
1D+0 -> 1D+1 -> 1D+2 -> 2D. Payment is same as full dice are in skill.
e.g. [1D->2D costs 3XP, 2D->3D costs 6XP, 3D->4D costs 9XP, ...]

Now to my questions:
[0D->1D costs ?XP] -> there are no rules for this case
[use attribute+skill or skill alone as base for price?]

I think the Book assumes Attribute + Skill as base for the cost of new Pips - so the situation never happens where you start from a zero-die stat.

But the text seems also to suggest that character can get force powers without putting Dice into those slots at Character creation [maybe I read it wrong between the lines?].
[3 force skills: can you level up without initially allotting at least 1 die?] -> I like that Jedi powers costs you higher stats in some other Attribute.

My intuition tells me learning one skill should be the same cost for all characters, regardless how good their Attributes are. If you use Attribute + Skill as Base for the Cost of a Pip, characters get penalised for being good at something [Strength/Dexterity/Tech/..].

How do you handle this? Does it get houseruled often?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1e all skills default to the die code of the attribute they fall under. This is why there is no 0D - 1D improvement cost, as you can not have an attribute of 0D in 1E.

To increase a skill that does not have any points in it, use the base die code for the attribute it falls under to take it up to +1, +2, +1D.

In 1E the game assumes all skills are provided at some basic level.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force Skills in 1E can be learned in game only if the Character can find a teacher. Offhand I forget the CP cost to add a force skill at 1D and currently do not have direct access to my books to check, but I think the cost under a master is 3cp.

On rereading your OP I believe you might be mishandling skills. Skills should be listed on the character sheet with a Die Code of the Initial Attribute plus any dice/pips allocated. So if you have a Dex of 3D and add 1D to blaster, your blaster skill is 4D and the cost of improving is 4 CP per pip.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Skill improvement costs Reply with quote

Leniad wrote:
Hi everyone!

Welcome to the Pit!

KageRyu is correct. In the 1e core rulebook, look at the top of the right column on p.8: "A skill starts with the same code as the attribute it's printed under..." The Force skills are special. You either have them or you don't. If you have them, they are at least 1D. So they are also never raised from 0 to 1D.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO OTHER than learning a new force skill, which WOULD start you at 1d, there's no improving a skill from 0d on up..

BUT you also have.
Increasing a specialty 1/2 the cost
Increasing an advance skill, DOUBLE the cost
Increasing an Attribute, x10 the cost. BUT when you do increase an attribute, EACH SKILL under that attribute you have, increases by one too..

SO let's say you have Per 2d+2. Search 5d+2, Sneak 4d+2, Con 4d, Persuasion 4d+1, Command 5d+2 and Gambling 5d.
IF You increased Per to 3d. Search and command would inc to 6d, Con to 4d+1, Persuasion to 4d+2, Sneak to 5d and Gambling to 5d+1...
Leniad
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@everyone : thanks for your time and infos

@Whill: thanks for the welcome

@garhkal: I think you are backporting rules from a later edition. 1e has only a flat skill-list. If you mistook my question as a 2e question, thats also OK - that just means the rules for skill improvement didn't change that much between editions.

What is interesting is that the rulebook mentions higher skill costs in the Jedi chapter -> without a teacher/master to learn the XP costs double. This is easy to houserule and apply to all skills. That would be a useful GM tool, to slightly influence what skills the PCs have through available schools and teachers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad we could swiftly help.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advanced Skills was introduced in 2E, correct.
I had thought 1E had specializations, though those might have been introduced in the rules companion (I do not have access to my books currently so I can not check).

Honestly, there were a lot of great ideas in the companion - some needed additional refining, others I felt were spot on. If you get a chance to pick up a copy I highly recommend it.

I especially liked the rules in the back for Capital Ship Combat and handling Squadrons as a single unit (which could be adapted to swarms, mobs, hordes, etc... with a little creativity).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: