The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rancor Pit ownership
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Rancor Pit ownership Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I don't have access to a private server. But yeah, if I knew how to somehow make a functional clone, that would be a piece of the puzzle.

What I had done was not really a server. It was so long ago now I cannot even fully recall what all I did and how exactly I configured it, but I used a version of Apache web server (this was back around 2003-2005) and configured it to point to a folder ob one of my many HD partitions as the root folder of the web site (can't remember the steps involved). I recall having to write a couple bat files to stick in that folder, then dumped all my intended websites folders in their as sub-directories. I made some edits to my hosts file on c:, set up an internal proxy loop, and basically forced the domain lookup by adding it to a local domains list so it would resolve to this local hidden server for developing. Even now just trying to remember the steps involved I cannot believe how much I have forgotten or how horribly outdated and out of practice I am...

But my point of posting all of this was that you do not really need a server, so much as a dedicated folder on your HD to use to house and host the clone, and the right software to "fake" a webserver. You may need to manually navigate to it through your browser to test it though. Still it is all very time consuming. I was mostly working part time back then and trying to expand my 3D and commercial arts business. Wrote my own website for it because no one I talked too could do what I wanted.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had both the time and the know-how to help, but I'm short on both. At work we hired a developer to handle the code-specific stuff that I couldn't handle, and while he's pretty affordable on the scale of an educational institute, he's more than I could afford as a hobby.

My experience with this sort of thing is that overhauls involving the code are best tested in a separate testing environment. Doing so with a live site is risky.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a software engineer by trade, and have worked extensively with web languages over the course of the last 25 years, and during that time have spent not a little time with PHP and other server side scripting languages.

As was mentioned by someone else it's easy enough to run a local copy of Apache pointed to a folder on a hard drive to get the PHP to render the pages, what's more difficult is matching the DB with a local copy otherwise none of the pages that pull threads will render anything other than the header and footer. Difficult, but not impossible, since it's more than likely a version of SQL.

I can certainly look into updating the PHP, and would be willing to take a look if you're interested, though I can't necessarily promise results, obviously my day job takes precedence.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, doing some research I'm finding that in general upgrading PHP is usually painless (emphasis on usually), now going from a very old version to the most recent is not the best case, but again comments are generally favorable.

That said, the overwhelming consensus is not to do such a thing on a live site without adequate backups in place, or a way to rollback.

If someone wants to try themselves, there's plenty of documentation to set up a program called XAMPP (or similar) which is an app that runs locally (mine is on a Windows laptop) that runs an Apache server and a DB instance for development of PHP sites on your own machine, as well as documentation to import the code and DB data and point a local browser to that server.

Just throwing that out there.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My web hosting service is renewed for another three years, and the RancorPit.com domain registration is renewed for another year (no three-year option available for that).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: